lying on rental application

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2019 12:59 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
8194 posts
881 upvotes
Montreal, QC
As per OHRC (Ontario Human Rights Commission), these are the 3 reasons that would be valid to refuse rentals to families. Anything else you can technically file a complaint for discrimination.
  • Section 15 of the Code permits preferential treatment of persons aged 65 and over, and therefore permits housing that is limited to persons over the age of 64.
  • Section 14 of the Code permits special programs to alleviate hardship and disadvantage, such as specially designed barrier-free housing projects aimed at older persons with disabilities.
  • Section 18 creates a defence for religious, philanthropic, educational, fraternal or social institutions or organizations that primarily serve the interests of older persons and that provide housing as part of their services.
If you intend to go this route, once again I urge you to do it via open communication. Ask the landlords why they don't accept families and if their reason is not one of the 3 listed above, tell them you plan on filing a complaint.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3398 posts
204 upvotes
Adelaide
uber_shnitz wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 7:06 pm
I agree with the above 2 posters. Seriously what's so hard about emailing/calling the landlord and just talking to them? Who knows, maybe they'll be willing to let your family rent without a problem if you just ask.
You assume a reasonable person on the other side of this equation. They are already flaunting the law by advertising something illegal, whats to stop them from saying oh yes you are correct, we wouldn't discriminate based on you having children, only to do just that? How would you know/prove it? Proving they did discriminate could be long, painful, hard to prove, and while it may be the "right" thing to do, it doesn't help your immediate circumstances. Even if they double down and continue to say no kids, going through that complaint process isn't going to be fun, or likely help you in the immediate future despite again being the "right" thing to do. Hell, even if they do the right thing in the end and rent it to you due to fear of a complaint, you could have the same bad relationship people are worried about if you were to lie about the children.

If you went the route of trying to be reasonable/talk it out, I would guess there is pretty high odds of still being discriminated against (openly or secretively), and then having the only recourse being spending time and effort going through a complaints system with no guarantee of it going your way. If the rental situation is as bad as OP makes it out to be, with the number of good/suitable properties saying adult only being very high, I could definitely see being willing to risk having a bad relationship with the landlord to actually get a suitable place.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
8194 posts
881 upvotes
Montreal, QC
BongoBong wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 9:24 pm
You assume a reasonable person on the other side of this equation. They are already flaunting the law by advertising something illegal, whats to stop them from saying oh yes you are correct, we wouldn't discriminate based on you having children, only to do just that? How would you know/prove it? Proving they did discriminate could be long, painful, hard to prove, and while it may be the "right" thing to do, it doesn't help your immediate circumstances. Even if they double down and continue to say no kids, going through that complaint process isn't going to be fun, or likely help you in the immediate future despite again being the "right" thing to do. Hell, even if they do the right thing in the end and rent it to you due to fear of a complaint, you could have the same bad relationship people are worried about if you were to lie about the children.

If you went the route of trying to be reasonable/talk it out, I would guess there is pretty high odds of still being discriminated against (openly or secretively), and then having the only recourse being spending time and effort going through a complaints system with no guarantee of it going your way. If the rental situation is as bad as OP makes it out to be, with the number of good/suitable properties saying adult only being very high, I could definitely see being willing to risk having a bad relationship with the landlord to actually get a suitable place.
Well to be fair you asked how the ads were worded to imply discrimination against families and never got a response so we don't know exactly how the landlords went about of telling OP they don't want kids or the reason why.

Anyways, personally I wouldn't want to live my life and raise my family somewhere where we aren't wanted but if I can empathize with the OP if going elsewhere isn't an option. We presented both sides of the situation and there's a fairly clear path forward either way.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3398 posts
204 upvotes
Adelaide
uber_shnitz wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 9:42 pm
Well to be fair you asked how the ads were worded to imply discrimination against families and never got a response so we don't know exactly how the landlords went about of telling OP they don't want kids or the reason why.
True, I am interested in how exactly its been worded.
Anyways, personally I wouldn't want to live my life and raise my family somewhere where we aren't wanted but if I can empathize with the OP if going elsewhere isn't an option. We presented both sides of the situation and there's a fairly clear path forward either way.
Don't disagree with you there. I don't know how bad the situation is with the number of buildings subtly to not subtly stating no kids, but if it was prolific enough where the majority of places you wanted was doing it I would definitely consider going the lying route.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
11283 posts
5389 upvotes
Southern Ontario
A family member is a long time realtor and finds multiple options for tenants, obligation free. Her brokerage’s fee is 1/2 months rent charged to the landlord of whoever you end up signing with. There’s background checks on both ends, like an arbitrator, so neither gets a shady counterpart.

She says it depends on the condo Corp rules. You will either get evicted or the landlord/other residents won’t make life pleasant for you. This is not a good way to start out as a new neighbour. A better approach is for your realtor to represent you and see if they can make an exception after options fitting your criteria have been exhausted.

You have to be transparent with your conditions and provide proof of income to the realtor, their membership fees allow them to do confidential credit checks. She has also helped clients break their leases, even sue landlords for unsafe practices because she works for a large brokerage and associated legal department. This isn’t a solicitation, by all means you can choose any realtor or continue to do this privately. Just telling you what I know.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
4319 posts
1016 upvotes
Toronto
Forget about legality, you said it's all about your kids so why drag your kids through this? How pleasant will it be living there if you the only one bringing in the kids and end up unwelcomed by neighbor tenants and a landlord that may always try to kick you out. Is there really not another single place you can live that you have to lie to get in?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
6402 posts
5131 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Kiraly wrote:
Feb 14th, 2019 12:41 pm

I knew a woman who once lived in a nonprofit co-op for single women over 40 only. She said that all of her neighbours were the most miserable people she's ever known. Most were divorced multiple times, bitter, whiny, nosy, etc. She couldn't wait to get out of there.

I can't even imagine how many cats there were at this particular complex.

As to the OP subject matter, I'd prefer kids over 24/7 weed smokers. The one issue with kids or big dogs is the thump thump if not on the ground floor that makes things bad for neighbors below. I don't see why a ground floor unit that doesn't have basement units shouldn't be available to you though.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3967 posts
3670 upvotes
Vancouver
AtlsNBP wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 12:49 pm
Jesus Christ just find a building that doesn’t have restrictions for kids.

Just as how you don’t have a preference for basements, allow a landlord to not have a preference for kids. Two at that.

The hypocrisy here is awesome.
It's not the same. Children are people, not animals. Landlords cannot discriminate against children any more than they can discriminate against Jews or blacks. But moving in to a building where people are hostile towards children (not just the landlord, neighbours too) is something to think twice about. This applies to blacks and Jews too. Do they want to move into a building where confederate flags are flying from half the balconies?
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
5089 posts
2255 upvotes
Thornhill
In Ontario at least, adult only buildings are only allowed for provincially supported housing and care facilities. No other type of building may have an adult restriction, not even condominiums that had such a rule.

Find something else, there are way too many buildings around for you to claim nothing else will suffice because do you really want to be the one to put your family through the stress of fighting with the landlord? I can't see life in such a building even after you win the case being good to you.

You can always report them to the Human Rights Tribunal if it bothers you that much, then apply once they've been told to straighten up and fly right.
burnt69 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 2:25 am
The no kids allowed 'rule' may very well be illegal and unenforceable.

But you might be evictable on the technicality that you didn't declare the proper number of tenants.
lifelifelife wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 8:19 pm
Thanks for the replies. It is a mixed bag a balance when making a decision like this. The well placed buildings in my area are adult only. Buildings by the tracks and surrounded by concrete on major streets are for kids.
Some buildings it makes sense, super thin floors and all seniors but when they are monopolizing an area it is just wrong. It is frustrating when the first 6 buildings I call say "no kids"

I am in it for the kids guys, it if was easy to go elsewhere I wouldn't be asking.....if they are causing a problem then I don't want to be causing problems.
When it comes to the kids screw people discriminating against them. Don't discriminate if your buildings are next to schools and children parks.

As for being honest in this situation, it doesn't end up working out, ever. If it was a duplex I get it but these are concrete buildings.
Jun 1, 2017
270 posts
222 upvotes
I don't think lying is a good idea. If anything happens, false application is a problem first.
Family with kids might be easily an excuse to be a bad tenant and avoid to pay rent. The best way is to have your own home. Having a couple of kids and still moving around to look for rent looks wield unless you are newcomers.
Give kids a real home.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
13301 posts
3492 upvotes
Here 'n There
You want to occupy the unit in a manner the landlord does not want, the fact they can't enforce a 'no kids' rule aside. As others have pointed out there a 50 ways to get rid of you as a tenant that does not involve the kids being a reason.

What was your first clue that this will be a recipe for disaster? Sheesh!
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2008
1008 posts
789 upvotes
GTA
lifelifelife wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 11:02 pm
I live in Ontario and have a couple of kids.
I have to stay around my area and there are very few apartments available. Basement apartments are out, I am not a snob or anything like that they are just simply a no go for me.
The apartments that are available say they are for adults only, I don't care I have a couple of kids to house.
If I lie on my application and move my kids in what happens?

I called the LTB and they were kind of mum on the issue, I can only guess they want to keep the peace.

So what if I lie on my application and show up with two kids on moving day?

What's wrong with a below grade suite? Not sure why you're against it, there are some that are truly wonderful with 4x4 windows. Anyway, I'm glad so many people are against lying but if you do lie, just be aware of the risks. In the end the choice is yours.
[OP]
Feb 11, 2019
6 posts
neilsmith43 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 5:09 pm
I don't think lying is a good idea. If anything happens, false application is a problem first.
Family with kids might be easily an excuse to be a bad tenant and avoid to pay rent. The best way is to have your own home. Having a couple of kids and still moving around to look for rent looks wield unless you are newcomers.
Give kids a real home.
This one was funny.
Own my own home.
Can you point me to the house tree where these free homes grow?

Lying sucks, I agree
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
1557 posts
1013 upvotes
Lie on an application and I can assure you the landlord will cut you no slack, and any opportunity to boot you they will.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2097 posts
778 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
I rent out a basement suite in my house and only want one person in it. I DO NOT WANT MORE.
And in BC you cannot restrict the number of persons in a rental unit, so long as the number is reasonable.
So to get around that I advertise the price at $750/mo. for one person plus 1/3 of electrical. If an additional person moves in the price is $1200/ mo. and electrical is 50%. Should a third person move in the price is $1800/ mo. and electrical is 75%.
I'm not sure just how legal that is but every tenant fully understands the contract and signs it.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)