Students

Lying on university personal information/admission profile forms. Easy to get caught?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2009 5:28 pm
[OP]
Feb 24, 2008
853 posts
6 upvotes

Lying on university personal information/admission profile forms. Easy to get caught?

Seriously and honestly, I never tried it before but I'm just curious if anyone out there ever lied about their extracurricular/volunteer activities? Is it easy to get caught? It's a totally anonymous forum and if you did try it and didn't get caught, I hope you don't mind sharing your experience here. I just want to see how far you lied and what you wrote on those forms.
6 replies
Nov 12, 2006
190 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Never lying, but stretching truths for tasks/jobs/volunteer positions held. Just exaggerate things, so if questioned about it, you still know how to properly respond because it was something you actually did. But hen again, I guess one only needs to worry if there are interviews to back yourself up, haha.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9466 posts
733 upvotes
funzone36 wrote: Seriously and honestly, I never tried it before but I'm just curious if anyone out there ever lied about their extracurricular/volunteer activities? Is it easy to get caught? It's a totally anonymous forum and if you did try it and didn't get caught, I hope you don't mind sharing your experience here. I just want to see how far you lied and what you wrote on those forms.
that`s what you`d like to think...
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1360 upvotes
In my experience, the school could really care less as long as the seats are filled with the most qualified(ish) students, and meet their diversity requirements.

You'd be surprised how many schools talk tough when it comes to admission requirements, then quietly usher people in through the back door to fill quotas.

Do what you have to.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2008
1719 posts
506 upvotes
The risk isn't worth it. Lying might make your application 1% more attractive, but the downside if you get caught is that you're definitely not getting into that school and possibly others. Most of the school's decision will be based on stuff you can't BS - like marks.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2005
7311 posts
5942 upvotes
If the university was seriously interested in your application, they'd be calling up references to verify your extracirricular activities.... My high school had a teacher who kept track of everyone's volunteer hours. So I used him (or the hospital volunteer assocaition head) for my references.

same deal as a work resume.... you can jazz up your details... but if your references don't back up those details.... :razz: