• Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2019 10:59 pm
18 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
1372 posts
1497 upvotes
They do work with most computer, some older bios has problem using them as boot drive, but yes, they do work. Windows 10 should have naive driver for these and make it plug and play. Also reliability isn't really an issue. It is literally a pass-through.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
15967 posts
4495 upvotes
Markham
or get one of this

DDR3 to M2 SSD Adapter M.2 NGFF B Key Riser Card SATA 15Pin Power + SATA 7Pin Data Port Support 2242 2260 2280 M.2 SSD

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/L-DDR3- ... 3c00LGOcYO

just use a spare ram slot to hold it. Does not use power from Ram slot. Good if you have spare ram slot. or just hot glue somewhere in the case

96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
25992 posts
3272 upvotes
Montreal
Cucumference wrote: They do work with most computer, some older bios has problem using them as boot drive, but yes, they do work. Windows 10 should have naive driver for these and make it plug and play. Also reliability isn't really an issue. It is literally a pass-through.
It's an MSI B350 Tomahawk. Fairly recent BIOS from January.
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11836 posts
1590 upvotes
Toronto
I've gotten pretty cheap ones from Ebay. They work just fine.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2002
4468 posts
992 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: You used the 2nd x4 slot? Did that downgrade your GPU from x16 to x8?
For my particular case, the MB has a PCI-e switch so the GPU stayed at x16. But looking at the B350 Tomahawk, it seems like all the non-primary PCI-e slots are all connected to the chipset at only PCI-e 2.0 speeds, so max read/write will probably be limited to 2GBps.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
18893 posts
27198 upvotes
ONTARIO
They sell these on ebay from china for dirt cheap. I mean who knows what kind of speeds you'll get with a $4 adapter, but I bought one. They had a $4 off coupon recently so I paid less than a buck for mine. Have not received it yet, but looking forward to seeing what kind of speeds I can get off one of these adapters.

This is the one I got: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/M-Key-NVME-M-2- ... 3070055983
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
25992 posts
3272 upvotes
Montreal
I got the Newegg unit linked above. Plugged in the old SSD and booted right off without missing a beat.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
18893 posts
27198 upvotes
ONTARIO
mr_raider wrote: I got the Newegg unit linked above. Plugged in the old SSD and booted right off without missing a beat.
Oh no doubt it'll work, but what speeds are you seeing through the adapter compared to speeds the nvme ssd can achieve without the adapter?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
25992 posts
3272 upvotes
Montreal
BobSagget wrote: Oh no doubt it'll work, but what speeds are you seeing through the adapter compared to speeds the nvme ssd can achieve without the adapter?
How do I check? My board manual says the slot is limited to gen 2.0 x4.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
25992 posts
3272 upvotes
Montreal
I found some As-SSD benches of my drive. Here is the comparison
as-ssd.GIF
It seems my sequential read is most affected, while everything else is a bit slower.

Mind you the web site did the review on an Intel machine, and I'm using AMD. Still it's way better than any SATA drive
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
18893 posts
27198 upvotes
ONTARIO
mr_raider wrote: I found some As-SSD benches of my drive. Here is the comparison

as-ssd.GIF

It seems my sequential read is most affected, while everything else is a bit slower.

Mind you the web site did the review on an Intel machine, and I'm using AMD. Still it's way better than any SATA drive
What SSD are you using by the way?
Now I wonder how these $20 adapters compare to the cheap ones from china for under $5. I don't have mine yet, but hopefully I can test when it comes in probably a month lol.

Edit: my bad, didn't see the name in the image at first.
So it's this one, right? https://www.amazon.ca/MyDigitalSSD-80mm ... B01MDRUXNZ
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
25992 posts
3272 upvotes
Montreal
BobSagget wrote: What SSD are you using by the way?
Now I wonder how these $20 adapters compare to the cheap ones from china for under $5. I don't have mine yet, but hopefully I can test when it comes in probably a month lol.

Edit: my bad, didn't see the name in the image at first.
So it's this one, right? https://www.amazon.ca/MyDigitalSSD-80mm ... B01MDRUXNZ
Yeah that's the old drive on the pci-e adapter. Bought in 2017 when I built my ryzen rig.

The new drive is an adata xpg sx8200 pro 1tb.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
18893 posts
27198 upvotes
ONTARIO
Is there anything special you have to do in the bios or something when you get one of these adapters?
I mentioned in an earlier post that I bought a cheap one from ebay. Well it arrived and I wanted to see how these cheap $4 adapters compared to $20+ ones, so I popped out my nvme ssd and plugged it into this adapter.
Plugged the adapter into the pcie x4 slot in but it's not booting into windows at all. Put the nvme ssd back connected directly to the mobo and it booted properly.
Wonder what I am doing wrong.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
25992 posts
3272 upvotes
Montreal
BobSagget wrote: Is there anything special you have to do in the bios or something when you get one of these adapters?
I mentioned in an earlier post that I bought a cheap one from ebay. Well it arrived and I wanted to see how these cheap $4 adapters compared to $20+ ones, so I popped out my nvme ssd and plugged it into this adapter.
Plugged the adapter into the pcie x4 slot in but it's not booting into windows at all. Put the nvme ssd back connected directly to the mobo and it booted properly.
Wonder what I am doing wrong.
I had to nothing other than switch the boot order in the UEFI firmware. But my board is relatively new from 2017.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
18893 posts
27198 upvotes
ONTARIO
mr_raider wrote: I had to nothing other than switch the boot order in the UEFI firmware. But my board is relatively new from 2017.
Yeah that's where I got confused.

Boot order only showed 3 options:

#1 Windows Boot Manager
#2 ONBOARD NIC IPv4
#3 ONBOARD NIC IPv6

Didn't show any of my hard drives as boot devices, although under the main bios page where all your computer specs are listed, it did show the m.2 ssd, so I am confused as to why it couldn't boot from it.

Oh well, I got it for pennies (literally), so I'll figure it out another day.