• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2021 12:01 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 13, 2004
12630 posts
4240 upvotes
Ontario

M.2 PCIe Enclosure?

Hey guys,

Looking for a M.2 PCIe enclosure and wondering if anybody has one. I'm looking for a good quality one as I plan to keep it for a long time and will be used for fixing client computers if needed. I know I could but an adapter or something for $10 but I'm looking for something better.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
19 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 23, 2007
1645 posts
556 upvotes
Toronto
I'd like to know too. If someone has a suggestion for one with a heatsink, that'sld be great.
Core i7-5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus Tuf OC RTX 3090 | G.Skill Ripjaws 48GB DDR4-2666 | CM StormTrooper | 850 EVO 250GB x2 Raid 0 + NVMe 970 Pro 512GB | ASRock X99 Extreme4
| Noctua NH-D15 | ASUS PG27UQ + Dell P2715Q
Newbie
User avatar
Feb 3, 2017
97 posts
7 upvotes
sickcars wrote: Hey guys,

Looking for a M.2 PCIe enclosure and wondering if anybody has one. I'm looking for a good quality one as I plan to keep it for a long time and will be used for fixing client computers if needed. I know I could but an adapter or something for $10 but I'm looking for something better.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Is this what you're talking about?

ASUS Hyper M.2 X4 MINI CARD M.2 to 32Gbit/s with PCIE slot
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=097183
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 13, 2004
12630 posts
4240 upvotes
Ontario
Nope an external Enclosure something like this...

https://www.amazon.ca/StarTechM-2-SATA- ... B00T8F298Y

But looking for suggestions on quality ones maybe somebody has used them before & has experience of the better ones.
LazedOut8 wrote: Is this what you're talking about?

ASUS Hyper M.2 X4 MINI CARD M.2 to 32Gbit/s with PCIE slot
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=097183
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
31659 posts
12969 upvotes
Keep in mind the external enclosures for m.2 drives only support SATA m.2 drives. NVMe/PCIe drives will not work in these AFAIK.
Sr. Member
Oct 13, 2008
983 posts
668 upvotes
Mississauga
I am also looking for an external enclosure to clone my 250gb NVMe drive to a 1TB NVMe drive. Something similar to this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Enclosure-Adapter ... cx_mr_hp_d

The reviews on this enclosure aren't that great as it probably doesn't have a heat sink. Any recommendations would be welcome. TIA.
Telus $30/25gb x 3 lines, 200 LD Can/US minutes, 2000 LD minutes to India, Unlimited CAN-Int'l Text ($0), $10/Talk& Text line - 24 mths
Rogers $46.99 - Legacy Gigabit internet
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 25, 2004
3451 posts
2061 upvotes
London
silverstone makes this one https://www.amazon.ca/Silverstone-Super ... ics&sr=1-4

witch should be able to max out the gen 2 usb 3.2 interface if u put in a gen 3x4 nvme drive.

someone posted a crystal disk mark in the reviews and looks like they were going around 2000 on the reads and writes witch is pretty good for over usb.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4566 posts
1646 upvotes
I have one of these https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0872RX3VV on order from aliexpress during their 11/11 sale... should arrive sometime in december. It states its "dual protocol". Don't have a sata M.2 drive at the moment, but will be testing it with a NVME m.2 drive when it arrives for sure.
Member
Oct 12, 2005
312 posts
114 upvotes
Markham, ON
coilz wrote: I have one of these https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0872RX3VV on order from aliexpress during their 11/11 sale... should arrive sometime in december. It states its "dual protocol". Don't have a sata M.2 drive at the moment, but will be testing it with a NVME m.2 drive when it arrives for sure.

I also have these and I have used it with NVME drives. One was a WD Black 500GB and another one was a crappy XPG/ADATA 500GB. Both were fine and provided good speeds.

I used the WD drive initially to try a bunch of Linux distros. I used Ventoy, put a bunch of Linux live ISOs, and tested them one by one to see how well they worked. There were no issues install Linux using the WD drive as a source, when I did try to install from it. I have since re-used the WD drive for Windows 11.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35153 posts
8560 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I have several as well. The ROG Strix one is fast but it is expensive.

I prefer one that supports both NVMe and SATA so I can pop any drive in there and clone it with Clonezilla

They sell SSD based thumb drives and I use that for my boot images. Flash is just unreliable and I’ve had too many failures

I have a spare ROG Strix brand new in the box if anyone wants it. I will sell at cost. The only problem is that it supports NVMe only and not SATA
coilz wrote: I have one of these https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0872RX3VV on order from aliexpress during their 11/11 sale... should arrive sometime in december. It states its "dual protocol". Don't have a sata M.2 drive at the moment, but will be testing it with a NVME m.2 drive when it arrives for sure.
I purchased this one

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B098RX3Z6Z/

Same company, but this one is tool less for quick swap outs

Paid 28$ on Black Friday
Sr. Member
Dec 11, 2008
977 posts
574 upvotes
Toronto
I bought this one recently and it worked fine with my XPG Gammix S70 1TB drive.
It's metal and comes with a thermal pad as well. It supports drives up to 2280 lengths and uses rubber twist clips to lock the drive in place instead of screws.

$35 and supports up to 2TB drives.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08Y7F ... UTF8&psc=1
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
28886 posts
4610 upvotes
Montreal
sickcars wrote: Nope an external Enclosure something like this...

https://www.amazon.ca/StarTechM-2-SATA- ... B00T8F298Y

But looking for suggestions on quality ones maybe somebody has used them before & has experience of the better ones.
I have a similar one from newegg. Use it to clone drives. It's a pain as installing the card inside requires fiddling with torx screwdriver and tiny little screws.
Member
Jul 19, 2014
450 posts
560 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Canuck_TO wrote: I bought this one recently and it worked fine with my XPG Gammix S70 1TB drive.
It's metal and comes with a thermal pad as well. It supports drives up to 2280 lengths and uses rubber twist clips to lock the drive in place instead of screws.

$35 and supports up to 2TB drives.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08Y7F ... UTF8&psc=1
What speeds are you getting? I was looking at it, but worried that the speed test that people posted maxed out at around 1GB/s vs the >3GB/s that other enclosures have customer speed tests showing.

Edit: and how hot does it get?
Sr. Member
Dec 11, 2008
977 posts
574 upvotes
Toronto
I didn't really use it to do a proper speed test.
I used it to check the firmware in my drive.

I connected it to my old i7-4770K based PC, through a hub. So, not the best test system. (I have another new X570 based system)
I did copy a large Windows ISO, as a quick test and I think I was getting under 300MB/s.

What did you need an enclosure for?

Checking the box, it says that it has a USB 3.2 Type-C connector.
Control Chip RTL9210B (10Gbps).

10Gbps should give you around 1GB/s throughput (maybe just over that at best).
If you're looking for faster than this, you would need the 20Gb/s version of an external enclosure.
Member
Jul 19, 2014
450 posts
560 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Canuck_TO wrote: I didn't really use it to do a proper speed test.
I used it to check the firmware in my drive.

I connected it to my old i7-4770K based PC, through a hub. So, not the best test system. (I have another new X570 based system)
I did copy a large Windows ISO, as a quick test and I think I was getting under 300MB/s.

What did you need an enclosure for?

Checking the box, it says that it has a USB 3.2 Type-C connector.
Control Chip RTL9210B (10Gbps).

10Gbps should give you around 1GB/s throughput (maybe just over that at best).
If you're looking for faster than this, you would need the 20Gb/s version of an external enclosure.
Thanks for responding! I would probably be using it to clone an NVME drive and maybe transfer data in the future, if needed. I was mixing up listings: I was confused because this one has a weird description. It says both that "up to 1000MB/s" and "M.2 NVMES SD on this nvme enclosure speed up to 10Gbp/s, Sata SSD on this nvme enclouser speed up to 6Gbp/s". There is only one customer benchmark photo, but it also shows speeds maxing out at around 300MB/s, which is similar to what your speed capped out as. In contrast, while they are a bit more expensive, other enclosures have customer benchmarks showing speeds >3000MB/s. So, I was wondering if this one can truly exceed 1000MB/s or if getting a decent transfer speed for NVME is not even plausible. 200MB/s would be great for a spinning HDD, but very disappointing for an NVME SSD.

Edit: I am mainly interested in this enclosure because it has the 'good' (RTL) chip at a low price point.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 18, 2009
3794 posts
968 upvotes
Toronto
i have been using this for 2+ years, paid $30 for it back then. usb3.1

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3297113 ... 4c4dTVJjXG

works fine. i dont use it often, only for backups and booting with ISO images. read/write speeds are about 450MB/s according to crystaldiskmark

the only issue is that it can get quite warm to the touch if it's connected for a while such as doing a windows clean install. that being said, i do have a thermal pad installed to spread the heat to the metal enclosure body, and i do unplug it after use. but no issues with my 256gb nvme ssd so far.
Sr. Member
Dec 11, 2008
977 posts
574 upvotes
Toronto
redfd123 wrote: Thanks for responding! I would probably be using it to clone an NVME drive and maybe transfer data in the future, if needed. I was mixing up listings: I was confused because this one has a weird description. It says both that "up to 1000MB/s" and "M.2 NVMES SD on this nvme enclosure speed up to 10Gbp/s, Sata SSD on this nvme enclouser speed up to 6Gbp/s". There is only one customer benchmark photo, but it also shows speeds maxing out at around 300MB/s, which is similar to what your speed capped out as. In contrast, while they are a bit more expensive, other enclosures have customer benchmarks showing speeds >3000MB/s. So, I was wondering if this one can truly exceed 1000MB/s or if getting a decent transfer speed for NVME is not even plausible. 200MB/s would be great for a spinning HDD, but very disappointing for an NVME SSD.

Edit: I am mainly interested in this enclosure because it has the 'good' (RTL) chip at a low price point.
Unfortunately, my drive is in my PS5 already and I don't have another to test in my newer PC.
Where are you finding 20Gbps enclosures that are able to transfer at >3000MB/s?
If you're looking for those speeds, I think you want a 40Gbps Thunderbolt/USB 4 enclosure and they're much more expensive than the 20Gbps products.
Member
Jul 19, 2014
450 posts
560 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Canuck_TO wrote: Unfortunately, my drive is in my PS5 already and I don't have another to test in my newer PC.
Where are you finding 20Gbps enclosures that are able to transfer at >3000MB/s?
If you're looking for those speeds, I think you want a 40Gbps Thunderbolt/USB 4 enclosure and they're much more expensive than the 20Gbps products.
Hmmm, now that you mention it, I didn't really think about the speeds in terms of the theoretical limit. Strangely, that speed test was posted by a customer for a 10Gbps enclosure on Amazon, so...it's probably not real. Thanks for the reminder :)

Edit: it would only be used on a Lenovo Legion's USB-C or older system USB-A, so I think 10Gbps would be the maximum regardless the enclosure?

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)