Shopping Discussion

M&M meats.... can't find reviews or recalls

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2018 7:11 pm
Sep 28, 2017
704 posts
472 upvotes

M&M meats.... can't find reviews or recalls

the other night we bought a stir fry from M&M meats. 3 of the 5 people that had it were experiencing the same "illness" symptoms (dizzy, cold sweats, just an odd feeling in total). i went online and googled M&M meats/food market and nothing comes up for reviews of their food or anyone complaining nor any food recalls.

i do get links for locations, nutrition facts and their head office.... i know it had to be the food as too many people had the same symptoms but how would i find out if the same product we bought made others sick as well ? calling them and asking is obviously going to get the "of course not" reply. anyone have suggestions ?
no matter where you go, there you are.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1296 posts
181 upvotes
Beamsville
Call them, seriously if you believe it caused people to be ill call and give them the info on the box like production dates & batch numbers etc.

Even if they blow you off you've given them the info if others get sick from the same batch anytime soon.
Sep 28, 2017
704 posts
472 upvotes
awesome ! before i posted the original post i did call the store i bought it from and of course the lady was "ohh no it's very unlikely it was caused by an M&M product, we've NEVER had any food poisoning issues". i'm like i wasn't talking just about your location i'm talking in general with M&M locations.

then asked can i have the head office number so i can speak with someone in customer relations, she was beating around the bush saying umm i don't have that info on hand i would have to call you back near closing when i'm in the office. i said i can hold while you go look it up for me... i then get the well we are busy at the moment it is not a good time.

so thanks for that info i'm going to go that route.... this store owner is obviously scared they are going to get singled out and possibly lose their franchise.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2006
3145 posts
25883 upvotes
Toronto
peytonpeanut2017 wrote: awesome ! before i posted the original post i did call the store i bought it from and of course the lady was "ohh no it's very unlikely it was caused by an M&M product, we've NEVER had any food poisoning issues". i'm like i wasn't talking just about your location i'm talking in general with M&M locations.

then asked can i have the head office number so i can speak with someone in customer relations, she was beating around the bush saying umm i don't have that info on hand i would have to call you back near closing when i'm in the office. i said i can hold while you go look it up for me... i then get the well we are busy at the moment it is not a good time.

so thanks for that info i'm going to go that route.... this store owner is obviously scared they are going to get singled out and possibly lose their franchise.
From your OP you mentioned that you found the head office number just call head office directly and bypass the store.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6028 posts
1390 upvotes
Toronto
When it comes to the supply chain, it's the consumer that is the weakest link when it comes to food safety but the consumer points to the retail location. No, the manager isn't scared that they will be singled out. Does M&M have their own meat packing plants? That I don't know....what's the EST# on the box?

The best way is for YOU to contact the CFIA so they can investigate this properly and trace back into the supply chain.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1241 upvotes
None of those symptoms are that of a food born contaminate. You might be barking up the wrong tree. Were you all also drinking, or drugs? Any other shared experiences other than the food?
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5057 posts
4990 upvotes
Toronto
Ojam wrote: None of those symptoms are that of a food born contaminate. You might be barking up the wrong tree. Were you all also drinking, or drugs? Any other shared experiences other than the food?
Yeah, more similar to symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. You get headaches and worse at higher levels, but those sound like lower level symptoms. OP, you have several carbon monoxide detectors, right?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27753 posts
27758 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
jm1 wrote: Yeah, more similar to symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. You get headaches and worse at higher levels, but those sound like lower level symptoms. OP, you have several carbon monoxide detectors, right?
Sounds to me like the flu bug / heavy cold that’s currently going around.
Seems to have a long incubation period with a lot of these bothersome symptoms / malaise
(Aka the wrung out dishrag phase)
Then finally hits you hard
Know several people who have had it
Took 2 weeks to come on fully ... then when it did, it wiped them out for another 2+ weeks
(Don’t want to get out of bed at all phase)

Think this year is going to be a bad winter for illnesses
Sep 28, 2017
704 posts
472 upvotes
we still have some of it in the bag it came in as we didnt use the full bag. and we had a really bad virus/illness last year that had our kids almost staying in the hospital, so we are very careful about things (not using dish rags to wipe things, use paper towels and wash hands often etc.)

nobody had alcohol, drugs (prescription or recreational) or anything else different than the others. that's why we are scratching our head over why some got these symptoms and others didn't. and nothing led into getting a cold/flu/virus as we are all still in good health. i don't want to come off like we are crying wolf or starting some recall in case M&M doesn't want to take chances... but we do want to find out what caused us to feel like that.

i contacted head office and have yet to hear back, if they don't then i will contact the CFIA and let them know.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2018
1734 posts
1212 upvotes
Vancouver
May be that something else that you guys had cooked wasn't cooked properly that wasn't related to the meat? Everybody has different reactions to undercooked food. Or maybe it was the food/meals prior to this meal that caused a stir in their bodies. If this was all 5 of your household members that had it, then we can rule that out but if you had people visiting, who knows what they had ate before coming.

EDIT: I've personally never bought meat from M&M meats but I've always wanted to try out their meats. May be just a one-off and an unlucky batch that you received if it turns out to be the meat.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41667 posts
29854 upvotes
Center of Universe
I had food poising twice last year (very unlucky) and the symptoms occurred in the exact same sequence.
1. uneasy feeling (nausea coming and going)
2. stomach pain
3. diarrhea
4. fever/heavy sweating (almost passing out)
5. vomiting (purged the entire contents of my stomach and probably more)
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1241 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: I had food poising twice last year (very unlucky) and the symptoms occurred in the exact same sequence.
1. uneasy feeling (nausea coming and going)
2. stomach pain
3. diarrhea
4. fever/heavy sweating (almost passing out)
5. vomiting (purged the entire contents of my stomach and probably more)
Yup, those are symptoms of food poisoning.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.