Art and Photography

m4/3: Need a weatherproof body, what to do?

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2019 4:58 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
4610 posts
1860 upvotes
Ancaster

m4/3: Need a weatherproof body, what to do?

Hey guys,

I currently have an Olympus OM-D EM-10 II and several weather proof lenses. Majority of my photography is done while travelling and hiking and I am increasingly finding myself in wet conditions. I've tried carrying around plastic camera sleeves, but it's a pain and sometimes not even practical. I like the form factor of the EM-10, but it seems like I have no choice but to go larger if I want weather proofing:

Options that I have thought of:

1.Used Panasonic GX-8
2. Used OM-D EM-1 II
3. Wait to see if Olympus finally releases an EM-5 III

Are there any other options that I am missing?
9 replies
Newbie
Feb 12, 2017
54 posts
41 upvotes
Calgary
What about an EM-5 II (maybe price will drop soon) or Panasonic DC-G9?

On a side note, how does any interchangeable camera claim water resistance on the lens mount? I've read about rubber gaskets there, and have even read about people dunking DSLRs momentarily. Yet I've never been able to see anything different on the lens mount or lenses. Can anyone point me toward a picture of a lens or mount seal?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 6, 2003
14329 posts
5515 upvotes
Ottawa
Kevin3840 wrote: What about an EM-5 II (maybe price will drop soon) or Panasonic DC-G9?

On a side note, how does any interchangeable camera claim water resistance on the lens mount? I've read about rubber gaskets there, and have even read about people dunking DSLRs momentarily. Yet I've never been able to see anything different on the lens mount or lenses. Can anyone point me toward a picture of a lens or mount seal?
being weatherproof just means it's somewhat sealed against mist/light rain/dust. I don't see any rubber rings either, but Nikon lenses often have them. Maybe the mount is just tight enough that they don't think it's a problem.

The weatherproof rating is fairly meaningless unless it has an IP rating, and something like the EM5II doesn't, so even though it's weatherproof, you probably can't submerge it nor even subject it to very heavy splashing for any length of time.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
4610 posts
1860 upvotes
Ancaster
warpdrive wrote: being weatherproof just means it's somewhat sealed against mist/light rain/dust. I don't see any rubber rings either, but Nikon lenses often have them. Maybe the mount is just tight enough that they don't think it's a problem.

The weatherproof rating is fairly meaningless unless it has an IP rating, and something like the EM5II doesn't, so even though it's weatherproof, you probably can't submerge it nor even subject it to very heavy splashing for any length of time.
Do any of the m4/3 cameras have an IP rating for weatherproofing?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 6, 2003
14329 posts
5515 upvotes
Ottawa
unshavenyak wrote: Do any of the m4/3 cameras have an IP rating for weatherproofing?
EM1X is IPX1, I don't think any of the other ones are rated. Most (all?) ILCs don't have any sort of IP rating so if Olympus rates their EM1X, that's a fairly unique. I read a comment that their internal testing on the EM1X says it would be IPX3 but I guess they wanted to be conservative.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
4610 posts
1860 upvotes
Ancaster
warpdrive wrote: EM1X is IPX1, I don't think any of the other ones are rated. Most (all?) ILCs don't have any sort of IP rating so if Olympus rates their EM1X, that's a fairly unique. I read a comment that their internal testing on the EM1X says it would be IPX3 but I guess they wanted to be conservative.
Nice. If only the EM1 wasn't so massive. I'm guessing my best choice is either the GX8, EM-5 II or wait and see what the EM-5 III brings.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
4610 posts
1860 upvotes
Ancaster
Kevin3840 wrote: What about an EM-5 II (maybe price will drop soon) or Panasonic DC-G9?

On a side note, how does any interchangeable camera claim water resistance on the lens mount? I've read about rubber gaskets there, and have even read about people dunking DSLRs momentarily. Yet I've never been able to see anything different on the lens mount or lenses. Can anyone point me toward a picture of a lens or mount seal?
The G9 piqued my interest, especially since I can get Panasonic Employee Pricing, which makes it way cheaper than the EM-1 MkII. Having said that, the PDAF on the EM-1 looks reaaaally enticing. I might just grab a used GX8 and either sell the EM-10 II or pass it on to my wife since she's still using a Panasonic GF2.
Newbie
Feb 12, 2017
54 posts
41 upvotes
Calgary
unshavenyak wrote: The G9 piqued my interest, especially since I can get Panasonic Employee Pricing, which makes it way cheaper than the EM-1 MkII. Having said that, the PDAF on the EM-1 looks reaaaally enticing. I might just grab a used GX8 and either sell the EM-10 II or pass it on to my wife since she's still using a Panasonic GF2.
I switched from an original E-M5 to a Panasonic G9 just before Christmas 2018. If you get a good Panasonic discount, I would highly recommend any Panasonic camera with Depth From Defocusing over an Olympus for their better focusing.

Using the G9 for photos of my kids in motion, it focuses radically faster, more intelligently, and more accurately than the E-M5 and significantly better than my Nikon D90 DSLR as well. The other huge benefit of the G9 is its 19 (nineteen) programmable buttons, more than any other camera except a top-end Canon DSLR, I believe. (19 is achieved by reprogramming joystick directions in addition to labelled standard buttons on top of unlabelled buttons.) For a person like myself who appreciates direct access to minimize menu usage, the G9 is a great tool in the hand unmatched by anything else in the Micro Four Thirds ecosystem. Also, since the G9 attains a high hit rate on moving children, I don't feel I am missing out at all on PDAF. The G9 is already better than my NIkon, and some professional reviews say it competes easily with a Nikon D500.

I did try an E-M1 II in a store briefly, but did not enjoy holding it has much as the G9 that I rented for a week before buying. I had also rented a Panasonic G85 earlier in the year and liked it a lot more than my own E-M5. It was strange to know my Olympus inside out from years of use, and still favor two Panasonic cameras without even customizing them. The G85 is noticeably smaller and lighter than a G9, so you might like a G85 (or the upcoming G95) if you do not need all the controls of the G9.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
4610 posts
1860 upvotes
Ancaster
Kevin3840 wrote: I switched from an original E-M5 to a Panasonic G9 just before Christmas 2018. If you get a good Panasonic discount, I would highly recommend any Panasonic camera with Depth From Defocusing over an Olympus for their better focusing.

Using the G9 for photos of my kids in motion, it focuses radically faster, more intelligently, and more accurately than the E-M5 and significantly better than my Nikon D90 DSLR as well. The other huge benefit of the G9 is its 19 (nineteen) programmable buttons, more than any other camera except a top-end Canon DSLR, I believe. (19 is achieved by reprogramming joystick directions in addition to labelled standard buttons on top of unlabelled buttons.) For a person like myself who appreciates direct access to minimize menu usage, the G9 is a great tool in the hand unmatched by anything else in the Micro Four Thirds ecosystem. Also, since the G9 attains a high hit rate on moving children, I don't feel I am missing out at all on PDAF. The G9 is already better than my NIkon, and some professional reviews say it competes easily with a Nikon D500.

I did try an E-M1 II in a store briefly, but did not enjoy holding it has much as the G9 that I rented for a week before buying. I had also rented a Panasonic G85 earlier in the year and liked it a lot more than my own E-M5. It was strange to know my Olympus inside out from years of use, and still favor two Panasonic cameras without even customizing them. The G85 is noticeably smaller and lighter than a G9, so you might like a G85 (or the upcoming G95) if you do not need all the controls of the G9.
I ended up placing an order for a G9. $1,400 vs. $2,100 is just such a huge divide, even if some people think PDAF is better. I hope Panasonic's colour science for JPEGs has progressed as much as everyone says it has. That is one thing I loved about Olympus cameras.
Newbie
Feb 12, 2017
54 posts
41 upvotes
Calgary
unshavenyak wrote: I ended up placing an order for a G9. $1,400 vs. $2,100 is just such a huge divide, even if some people think PDAF is better. I hope Panasonic's colour science for JPEGs has progressed as much as everyone says it has. That is one thing I loved about Olympus cameras.
I liked the E-M5 colors on JPEGs better than Nikon D90 colors. The G9 JPEG colors are as nice as the E-M5 colors in my experience. (I keep my cameras on Standard color settings with no saturation boost as a reference in case I edit RAW later. So I when I say I like the colors, I mean the factory colors.) I haven't shot the E-M5 and G9 side by side for a strict color test, but I feel the G9 Auto White Balance does a good job under most outdoor and indoor lighting. Also, flash challenges any camera so I do use Manual White Balance on a white target when facing mixed light. The G9 responds well to the target so the overall color profile is good.

Have fun with your G9!

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)