Computers & Electronics

MAC Address Issue I've Never Seen Before.

• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2019 4:26 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5874 posts
1255 upvotes
Montreal

MAC Address Issue I've Never Seen Before.

I want to set a static IP for my range extender. So I look up the MAC address on the range extender and it starts with 50: Also, when I log into the extender's web page it also says 50:
However, when I look at the router's connected devices, the range extender is shown as starting with 52:. In Fing and MyLanViewer, the extender's MAC address starts with 52:

Has anyone seen this before? Which MAC address is correct?
Also, I tried setting a static IP address in the router for the extender using 52: and it didn't take.
When I rebooted the extender, the IP address changed.
Phils
29 replies
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15708 posts
2334 upvotes
Different MAC addresses for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5874 posts
1255 upvotes
Montreal
On the extender, it's address was 50:...:10 for 2.4GHz and 50:...:0F for 5Ghz.
On the router it was 52:...:10 and 52:...:0F so that wasn't it.

Since you guys responded, I checked again today and the router now matches the extender so the question is solved.
However, I still don't know how this happened in the first place.
Last edited by Phils on May 16th, 2019 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phils
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12224 posts
3381 upvotes
why don't you just paste the full mac address instead of being so secretive
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5874 posts
1255 upvotes
Montreal
First of all, I appreciate you taking the time to answer this.

However, I don't know if it's a good idea to show a complete MAC address on the net for everyone to see particularly since the difference was simply 50 vs. 52 for the first 2 digits. The rest of the digits are irrelevant to the question at hand.

Perhaps I'm a bit paranoid but since I was in doubt, I decided to play it safe.
Phils
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12224 posts
3381 upvotes
i think you watch too many tv shows

you think someone can hack you based on mac addresses?

here's mine

C8-60-00-6D-F0-91
Phils wrote: However, I don't know if it's a good idea to show a complete MAC address on the net for everyone to see particularly since the difference was simply 50 vs. 52 for the first 2 digits. The rest of the digits are irrelevant to the question at hand.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Jan 4, 2019
458 posts
465 upvotes
sexyj wrote: i think you watch too many tv shows

here's mine

C8-60-00-6D-F0-91
To be fair, mac addresses can be used against you. But those who can use them, can usually already get them with other ways.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12224 posts
3381 upvotes
of course, but in general if you throw out a random mac on the internet.
99.999999% is that nobody gives a sit about it
the 0.000001% that does is not gonna do a reverse lookup on your mac to find out your ip address. cause that involves hacking major isp's routers and edge routers to snoop...
ReadAllTheDeals wrote: To be fair, mac addresses can be used against you. But those who can use them, can usually already get them with other ways.
Last edited by sexyj on May 16th, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5874 posts
1255 upvotes
Montreal
sexyi, given your almost 11,000 posts here I'm sure you know what you're talking about. However does posting the entire MAC address do anything to help answer the question at this point?
Phils
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12224 posts
3381 upvotes
with the mac you can find out the manufacturer thus helping you figure out what the situation is
Phils wrote: sexyi, given your almost 11,000 posts here I'm sure you know what you're talking about. However does posting the entire MAC address do anything to help answer the question at this point?
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15708 posts
2334 upvotes
sexyj wrote: i think you watch too many tv shows

here's mine

C8-60-00-6D-F0-91

Aha! I see you have a 2014 ASUS X205.
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12224 posts
3381 upvotes
close, the motherboard is asus but not the x205 tho

but the x205 could also be found under my post history Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
JAC wrote: Aha! I see you have a 2014 ASUS X205.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12995 upvotes
Phils wrote: sexyi, given your almost 11,000 posts here I'm sure you know what you're talking about.
Being a post ***** != knowing what you're talking about

Source: 20000 posts

EDIT: Oh come on... THAT'S censored?
How about post slut?
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12224 posts
3381 upvotes
so are you trying to say posting mac address online is dangerous ?!?!?!

Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
death_hawk wrote: Being a post ***** != knowing what you're talking about

How about post slut?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5874 posts
1255 upvotes
Montreal
death_hawk wrote: Being a post ***** != knowing what you're talking about

How about post slut?
I'm more apt to believe an experienced poster than another person with 1 post that doesn't have a track record.
Phils
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5874 posts
1255 upvotes
Montreal
OK, so now that we have discussed how much danger there may or may not be in posting a MAC address on the net, why do you think I had that problem?
Phils
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2017
1266 posts
594 upvotes
GTA
So are you connected to the range extender when scanning hosts? Connect to the routers wifi and try the scan again. Mac addresses can be spoofed easily so it can be a software design to have a different Mac address on connect.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
3526 posts
20014 upvotes
If you look at the physical device, 99% of the time it will have the mac address written right on it.

Do you know if is dual-band or tri-band? (1 mac for each band) and then you will have a mac for the physical port (if it has one).
Jun 19, 2011
86 posts
22 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Phils wrote: I'm more apt to believe an experienced poster than another person with 1 post that doesn't have a track record.
Nope. I think you need to consider the difference between quantitative and qualitative postings. Death_Hawk is correct. There is an abundance of the verbal diarrhea virus on many forums.