• Mar 30th, 2022 9:34 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2003
1715 posts
266 upvotes
C-53

Mac @ OWC battery .. ?

Has anyone tried replacing their mbp's battery from OWC?
Ex: 2015 mbp 15"
Please thank me if you find this helpful
4 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22158 posts
10323 upvotes
Toronto
I've replaced a few batteries in retina 2013 and 2014 13" Pros using batteries from Amazon (Egoway, Ninja Battery) because Apple would no longer perform the replacement. The Amazon batteries weren't bad. They are not as good as the original but they cost a heck of a lot less.

If your battery has not been declared legacy, consider having the Apple store do the replacement. It's not cheap but they do replace the entire top case and it will come with a 90 day warranty. Also, third-party batteries can be really hit and miss.

Here's a thread on macrumors about OWC batteries: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ow ... 02/page-12
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
4495 posts
3437 upvotes
London
never tired there batteries but one thing to note about that company even tough there in the us they charge HST on orders. funny thing to they even charge the tax if the order is below the $20 import threshold were there would be an import fee. i ordered $10 worth of SD Ram off them and they still charged me tax was only like a buck or something but still shouldn't have been no tax from a us store for something under $20.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
OWC batteries are hit and miss, judging by reports online. Not a big surprise though, since AFAIK, they're just rebranded 3rd party batteries.

However, on average they still may be better than taking your chances on eBay... albeit for twice the price.

audit13 wrote: I've replaced a few batteries in retina 2013 and 2014 13" Pros using batteries from Amazon (Egoway, Ninja Battery) because Apple would no longer perform the replacement. The Amazon batteries weren't bad. They are not as good as the original but they cost a heck of a lot less.

If your battery has not been declared legacy, consider having the Apple store do the replacement. It's not cheap but they do replace the entire top case and it will come with a 90 day warranty. Also, third-party batteries can be really hit and miss.

Here's a thread on macrumors about OWC batteries: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ow ... 02/page-12
Last year I won an eBay auction for a very decent price that had very few battery cycles on the machine, a 2015 13" MacBook Pro. I assumed that meant they had changed the battery with some cheap Chinese battery. Nope. It was an OEM Apple battery replacement with new top case, keyboard, and trackpad. The thing looked brand new, even inside with no dust inside at all. (I had opened it up to install a larger Apple OEM SSD which I also got for cheap on eBay, and was shocked to see just how pristine it was inside.) It was clearly done by a proper Apple service centre. I lucked out big time with that inexpensive eBay deal.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22158 posts
10323 upvotes
Toronto
EugW wrote: OWC batteries are hit and miss, judging by reports online. Not a big surprise though, since AFAIK, they're just rebranded 3rd party batteries.

However, on average they still may be better than taking your chances on eBay... albeit for twice the price.

Last year I won an eBay auction for a very decent price that had very few battery cycles on the machine, a 2015 13" MacBook Pro. I assumed that meant they had changed the battery with some cheap Chinese battery. Nope. It was an OEM Apple battery replacement with new top case, keyboard, and trackpad. The thing looked brand new, even inside with no dust inside at all. (I had opened it up to install a larger Apple OEM SSD which I also got for cheap on eBay, and was shocked to see just how pristine it was inside.) It was clearly done by a proper Apple service centre. I lucked out big time with that inexpensive eBay deal.
You got a good deal!

I always recommend using Apple for this type of service if the model is still supported since you're not just getting a new, warrantied, OEM battery.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)