Computers & Electronics

Macbook Air Battery Life question - Where to install battery (1300+ cycle count)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 21st, 2018 10:35 am
Banned
Apr 5, 2015
1281 posts
446 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Macbook Air Battery Life question - Where to install battery (1300+ cycle count)

Hi guys,
I'm wondering is there anywhere cheaper than the Genius Bar to replace a Macbook Air 2010 battery? I checked Apple's website and it costs $169. Was hoping it would cost below $100.
My macbook air has a cracked screen and an old battery - not wanting to invest "that" much!
Thanks in advance.
21 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22155 posts
10318 upvotes
Toronto
I order third-party Macbook batteries from Amazon. The batteries came with the necessary pentalobe screwdrivers to remove the bottom casing and battery screws. The battery is not glued in place like the retina Macbooks. Simple 15 minute procedure.
Banned
Apr 5, 2015
1281 posts
446 upvotes
Toronto, ON
audit13 wrote: I order third-party Macbook batteries from Amazon. The batteries came with the necessary pentalobe screwdrivers to remove the bottom casing and battery screws. The battery is not glued in place like the retina Macbooks. Simple 15 minute procedure.
Thanks bud, did a quick search on Amazon Prime and it looks like it costs between $60-$80 for a new battery (albeit 3rd party). Not bad :) Is it really that easy to change the battery?

I know there's YouTube tutorials but I thought the Macbook Air chassis was sealed pretty tightly and couldn't be done at home DIY style.
Aug 17, 2013
696 posts
604 upvotes
Toronto
If it's only 169, i would advise to go to the Apple store. If anything goes wrong, you can sort of fight it.

After market and 3rd party, if it doesn't work after, you might as well throw it out.

I used to cheap out, now i just pay the little extra for the peace of mind.
Banned
Apr 5, 2015
1281 posts
446 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Great advice guys, thanks :)
If it's $70 compared to $170 I think I would have to opt for $70 because it's a really old macbook air - but if it was a 2018 model, I would not cheap out :) Thanks both
Aug 17, 2013
696 posts
604 upvotes
Toronto
futabasan wrote: Great advice guys, thanks :)
If it's $70 compared to $170 I think I would have to opt for $70 because it's a really old macbook air - but if it was a 2018 model, I would not cheap out :) Thanks both
Make sure the battery is from some kind of reputable source. It might catch on fire and fry your mother board. I have seen this a million times.
Banned
Apr 5, 2015
1281 posts
446 upvotes
Toronto, ON
orianna wrote: Make sure the battery is from some kind of reputable source. It might catch on fire and fry your mother board. I have seen this a million times.
Looking into Amazon ones. Gonna go by the reviews- 4\5 stars and a significant amount.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22155 posts
10318 upvotes
Toronto
I have not come across anyone I know that had a battery catch fire or damage their Macbook logic board with a third party battery. I've read stories on the internet but I'm not sure about their authenticity. Third party chargers are a different story though.

I have changed approximately 15 batteries for friends and family using Amazon replacements.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4327 posts
437 upvotes
Calgary
Apple no longer carries the replacement battery, at least my 2011 model anyways. Ifixit has it for $100. Easy 15 minute job. Part of the reason why I am hesitant to get a new laptop with glued on battery part, want the Surface Book 2 but almost impossible to replace the battery down the road. Leaning towards the Lenovo X1 as they have easy to replace battery.
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"
Banned
Apr 5, 2015
1281 posts
446 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The battery health still says normal despite 1300+ counts. Obviously its not what it was once but should I wait it out until battery health says replace?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 21, 2003
6323 posts
3867 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
I would say that is up to you. If you find that the current charge holds long enough for you then don't bother otherwise go for it. It's not that expensive really. On the flip side if it does last long enough for your usage you could hold out and perhaps by the time it's garbage you'll be looking to upgrade anyways.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22155 posts
10318 upvotes
Toronto
futabasan wrote: The battery health still says normal despite 1300+ counts. Obviously its not what it was once but should I wait it out until battery health says replace?
Use the coconut battery app to determine its max charge at the moment. If it's still within 75% of the original, I'd consider holding off.
Banned
Apr 5, 2015
1281 posts
446 upvotes
Toronto, ON
audit13 wrote: Use the coconut battery app to determine its max charge at the moment. If it's still within 75% of the original, I'd consider holding off.
On coconut battery, is the design capacity the max charge? If so it says 56.8% lol.
Cycle count 1353
Battery status: Good

Btw just realized even though it's a late 2010 macbook air, the manufacture date says 2011-04-04.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22155 posts
10318 upvotes
Toronto
The battery is quite depleted but, if it meets your current requirements, don't replace it yet.

The replacement for your air is the mid-2011 when Apple switched to the i5.
Banned
Apr 5, 2015
1281 posts
446 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thank you! I think it still suits my needs pretty well. Lasts minimum 2 hours or so :) And the battery is not swelling or getting hot.

What do you mean by the replacement for my air is the mid-2011? Do you mean the battery?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22155 posts
10318 upvotes
Toronto
I meant that your 2010 Air was manufactured for Apple until May, 2011 and replaced in June, 2011 with an i5 model. This explains your Air's manufacture date of 2011-04-04.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4327 posts
437 upvotes
Calgary
Mine is at 600 cycles and honesty it still holds a charge, about a little over 2hrs of mixed usage I would say, good enough for the short 1hr work that it’s being used for. $100 is a cheap enough fix but I figure I don’t even need that fix at the moment. If you’re still satisfied with the battery performance I wouldn’t even bother.
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"
Banned
Apr 5, 2015
1281 posts
446 upvotes
Toronto, ON
plucky duck wrote: Mine is at 600 cycles and honesty it still holds a charge, about a little over 2hrs of mixed usage I would say, good enough for the short 1hr work that it’s being used for. $100 is a cheap enough fix but I figure I don’t even need that fix at the moment. If you’re still satisfied with the battery performance I wouldn’t even bother.
Yeah as @audit13 pointed out, I am still quite satisfied with about 2 hours of battery time. I just use it for a quick break at the coffee shop to catch up on some emails and do a few work things. It's good enough :) I'm surprised though at close to 1400 cycles it's still going strong. Love the Air :)!!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)