• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2021 1:56 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
6023 posts
5845 upvotes
Vancouver
Easto wrote: Sorry, what’s the loop hole?

Does that have to do with free AirPods that you return?

And the new MacBooks will be the Pro version, not both Air and Pro
That's right. Since you're not in the market for a MacBook Pro, there's no point in waiting until Oct/Nov.

The loophole is not returning AirPods, but rather not picking them up in the first place results in cancellation and $219 refund.
Aug 20, 2009
9194 posts
4553 upvotes
I was faced with the same choice earlier this year and went with the M1 MBP. It's the best laptop I've ever owned, no exaggeration. Battery life is outstanding, its light and I even like the goofy touch bar. I have mine set to all sorts of contextual stuff in Visual Studio Code. I bought it for hobbyist programming, some video encoding and general use. I probably could've got by with the Air but I wanted the ability to do process video without a lot of thermal throttling. Anyways highly recommended. I think the M1X will be even better but it will also cost a lot more so I wouldn't get too caught up in the wait, the M1 is a great value right now.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1445 posts
1058 upvotes
Mississauga
Spinner wrote: The roads haven’t changed much in the past decade. But applications get increasingly complex every year.

A few years ago, a dual-core Windows PC with 8GB RAM would be plenty. Today, if you try running that same PC with Zoom and/or Teams during a large con call along with a few productivity apps, the audio or video will likely stutter.
They haven't and you still get from point A to B. If that is case why not go MacPRO with 8k display for online banking. it is just over kill for most no matter what the marketing makes you think.

I have no issues with mine stalling.. currently running outlook, safari, messages, WhatsApp, messenger, excel, Bitwarden, calendar, terminus, co-editor, text editor, Remote Desktop, Cryptomator, Snagit and that is all using 16gb of ram. I hate teams so that saves me about 2gb

will I notice the .02 seconds that redflag loads I haven't so far.

my work PC is a joke i7-4790 @ 16gb of ram for. Gave the IT guy an old ssd I wasn't using and it doesn't seem that much different from the MacBook
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
13752 posts
4118 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
Easto wrote: Air vs Pro?

From the research I have done I’d like the M1 chip.

I am having trouble figuring out why I’d want a Pro
Over an Air.

It would be for an everyday laptop. I don’t do video or photo editing at this time. I don’t play games either.

YouTube, stock trading, Email, etc.

We already have other Apple products and never owned an Apple computer.
I’m in a similar situation. Here is my plan.

Buy $2000 of Apple cards at a place that gives PC Optimum points. Use my 1% back credit card. Get 10% back in PC Optimum points.

pharmaprix-any-other-store-has-optimum- ... d-2485576/

Use the cards to buy a refurbished Air with 8 core GPU (so that I get the 512 Gb SSD) for $1369.

Factoring in the 10% of PC Optimum points and the 1% back on my credit card, that effectively brings it down to $1218 plus taxes and fees.

I’m going to pass on the AppleCare+ at $249. ($221.69 after the math above.) Here is my calculation.

$221.69 is 17% of $1218. AppleCare+ lasts for three years, or two years past the included warranty. I would be betting I had a more than one in 5.6 chance of having to replace my Air in year two or three. I think the risk is less than that, so for me the “insurance” doesn’t make financial sense.

In addition, consider that even with AppleCare+, repairs can cost up to $379.
AppleCare+ for Mac extends your coverage to three years from your AppleCare+ purchase date and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage protection every 12 months, each subject to a service fee of $129 for screen damage or external enclosure damage, or $379 for other damage, plus applicable tax.
https://www.apple.com/ca/support/products/mac/

At that point, a user ordinarily would have paid $249 for AppleCare+ plus $379, ($628) to repair a $1369 purchase. That is almost 50% of the purchase price.

If I had to replace the Air, presumably I would replace it with the same refurbished 2020 model, but it would be cheaper in the future.
Global warming will be exceeded during the 21st century unless deep reductions in carbon dioxide (CO2) and other greenhouse gas emissions occur (United Nations IPCC Report 2021)

Every disaster film starts with scientists being ignored