• Last Updated:
  • Dec 25th, 2020 9:58 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
2878 posts
283 upvotes

MacBook Pro 13 M1 vs I7

I am starting to look at replacing my current laptop(surface pro 4). I was looking forward to the new versions of the surface pro, but from all I read, the form factor won’t change.
So I thought maybe it’s time to switch the the Mac world. Debating on the MacBook Pro 13, but can’t decide to go with the m1 or i7?
With my spec’s, the difference between the 2 will be around 600 bucks.
This will be my first venture into the Mac laptop ecosystem, but all my other products are iOS, iPad Pro, iPhone , I watch.

I was thinking since it’s the first Mac book for me, the intel version might be better, if I need to run any native windows app, I can install windows 10 via boot camp.

What is the better buy?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2007
4808 posts
1990 upvotes
Scarborough
Depends on what you're using it for I guess. If you absolutely have to run Windows apps then you don't really have a choice.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2002
1850 posts
402 upvotes
A bit confusing as OP is using a Surface Pro 4 and saying form factor won't change and looking at a macbook laptop which is a completely different form factor.

If you're looking at a Windows/Microsoft comparable to a Macbook then you should be looking at the Surface Laptop 3 or Surface Book 3 lineup instead of the Tablet style Pro. Although I would also look at laptops from Dell's XPS line.

IMO if you going MacBook route get the M1 over older Intel version. If you are buying a Macbook to run windows app you are overpaying for hardware and better off just getting a Windows system outright.

Apple also has a track record of not supporting there older architecture very long once they switch platforms. Remember the PowerPC Macs from 2001 to 2005? Once Apple switched to Intel in 2006 both platforms was running OSX 10.4 by 2007 OSX 10.5 was released and the last version the PowerPC Architecture got. So if history repeats itself the Intel Macs will probably have one more OS update in 2021 then that's it.

-LeeBear
Mar 16, 2019
46 posts
6 upvotes
For what its worth, Tim Cook in the October Mac marketing event said that they would support the new Intel Macs for 5 years. 2025 would be a more realistic timeline for intel Mac OS support.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
2878 posts
283 upvotes
LeeBear wrote: A bit confusing as OP is using a Surface Pro 4 and saying form factor won't change and looking at a macbook laptop which is a completely different form factor.

If you're looking at a Windows/Microsoft comparable to a Macbook then you should be looking at the Surface Laptop 3 or Surface Book 3 lineup instead of the Tablet style Pro. Although I would also look at laptops from Dell's XPS line.

The form factor comment was more I was looking for a change in the design for my next laptop. I really liked the SP4, but looking a design change. I was hoping the SP7 was going to be a redesign, but its essentially the same machine except for some internal updates, so I waited to upgrade my SP4 hopefully the SP8 would be a new design, but from all the rumours, the SP8 is going to be more of the same.
I looked at the Surface Book and Surface Laptop, and they are in consideration. I travel for work weekly (well used to before covid, lol) so need a light laptop and easy to use on the airplane.
Hence, looking at the MBP as my next machine. Its light and looks slim, plus I do have all the other apple products already. Only concern is, from everything I read, I can't use the MS-Project and Visio on the M1 MBP's. Would need to run those software on a Windows boot.
Mar 7, 2008
675 posts
170 upvotes
Leask
If I were to buy a MacBook Pro now, it will be the 16in model with i7. That’s because I want the bigger screen.

If I could wait, I would go with ARM with 16in when it comes out.

If you want a 13in MacBook Pro, might as well go with the ARM version know there is virtual no native ARM based software yet but it will come.
Apr 18, 2010
348 posts
93 upvotes
M1 won’t work with windows yet for the public.
Jan 20, 2003
163 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
LeeBear wrote: Apple also has a track record of not supporting there older architecture very long once they switch platforms. Remember the PowerPC Macs from 2001 to 2005? Once Apple switched to Intel in 2006 both platforms was running OSX 10.4 by 2007 OSX 10.5 was released and the last version the PowerPC Architecture got. So if history repeats itself the Intel Macs will probably have one more OS update in 2021 then that's it.

-LeeBear
I agree with your reasoning, but I'm pretty sure that OS10.6 still supported PowerPC apps. Snow Leopard was supported until 2011, which is 6 years after announcing the transition to Intel.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2002
1850 posts
402 upvotes
crawford wrote: I agree with your reasoning, but I'm pretty sure that OS10.6 still supported PowerPC apps. Snow Leopard was supported until 2011, which is 6 years after announcing the transition to Intel.
Backwards compatibility was not the problem it's forward compatibility. While technically Apple supported the Power PC Macs til 2011... 5 years after they switched to Intel, once the Intel Macs were out pretty much all software development stopped for Power PC. besides the one OSX update you got from Apple pretty much all 3rd party (and Apple) stopped releasing updates for PowerPC. Buying an Intel Mac now is equivalent to buying a PowerPC in 2006.

-LeeBear