• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2019 11:13 pm
[OP]
May 12, 2009
450 posts
144 upvotes

MacBook Pro from IBM Warranty

Hey everyone!

I just purchased a Refurbished MacBook Pro 2016 13 inch from IBM. Checked AppleCare and it says it has Apple care until April 2020. Anyone know if I can go to Apple in this case should something go wrong?
Last edited by 4ndro0o0o on Dec 19th, 2018 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
13 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15533 posts
2362 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, you can obtain warranty service through Apple.
[OP]
May 12, 2009
450 posts
144 upvotes
Even if its Refurbed by IBM?
audit13 wrote: Yes, you can obtain warranty service through Apple.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2594 posts
1667 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
4ndro0o0o wrote: Even if its Refurbed by IBM?
AppleCare is transferable. Just make sure it has been transferred to your name.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
[OP]
May 12, 2009
450 posts
144 upvotes
That works, but has there been cases where they open the cover and realize it’s been returbed by IBM this voiding the warranty?
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2594 posts
1667 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
4ndro0o0o wrote: That works, but has there been cases where they open the cover and realize it’s been returbed by IBM this voiding the warranty?
You have some very good questions, but these are all questions you should have asked before you went ahead with the purchase.

Taking into consideration the fact you're asking a new question every time someone replies with an answer to your other question, I would suggest you pick up the phone and call AppleCare and ask them all your questions and get your definitive answers. Unless you're going to be returning the purchase to IBM if you don't like the answers you get, in all reality asking these questions now serve no real purpose but to let you know whether or not you have extended warranty coverage.

I wouldn't have purchased a refurb from anywhere other than Apple directly, since Apple covers their refurbs with full 12 month warranty, and you can buy AppleCare for beyond that.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
[OP]
May 12, 2009
450 posts
144 upvotes
I have 7 days to return it if I "don't like the answers" I get. I am well aware of the IBM Warranty I get with their refurbs, that being said, it would be an added bonus if Apple honoured it. The laptop that I received wasn't in the condition I expected, but if I got an extra year and a half of Apple Care, that would sway my decision in whether I kept it or returned it.

Thanks for the insight though! :)
ALLCAPS wrote: You have some very good questions, but these are all questions you should have asked before you went ahead with the purchase.

Taking into consideration the fact you're asking a new question every time someone replies with an answer to your other question, I would suggest you pick up the phone and call AppleCare and ask them all your questions and get your definitive answers. Unless you're going to be returning the purchase to IBM if you don't like the answers you get, in all reality asking these questions now serve no real purpose but to let you know whether or not you have extended warranty coverage.

I wouldn't have purchased a refurb from anywhere other than Apple directly, since Apple covers their refurbs with full 12 month warranty, and you can buy AppleCare for beyond that.
Aug 22, 2003
104 posts
6 upvotes
I know this is an old thread but thought I’d share my experience for people to consider when buying Apple devices from IBM. I bought my MacBook a few years ago (original thread is hot-ibm-certified-open-box-apple-macboo ... ly-1946919 ) This laptop has been great but recently the battery has started to swell so I made an appointment at the Genius Bar. They plugged my serial number in the system and the purchase date comes up from 1978 which means that it’s marked as sold as-is and is not able to be serviced by Apple or any authorized service providers. I don’t know if having Apple care would have mattered or not. I was really only wanting Apple to do the repair so that it would be an OEM battery. I’m now looking at other repair places as I don’t really want to be messing with the glued on battery.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2002
4134 posts
2139 upvotes
Vancouver
rage wrote: I know this is an old thread but thought I’d share my experience for people to consider when buying Apple devices from IBM. I bought my MacBook a few years ago (original thread is hot-ibm-certified-open-box-apple-macboo ... ly-1946919 ) This laptop has been great but recently the battery has started to swell so I made an appointment at the Genius Bar. They plugged my serial number in the system and the purchase date comes up from 1978 which means that it’s marked as sold as-is and is not able to be serviced by Apple or any authorized service providers. I don’t know if having Apple care would have mattered or not. I was really only wanting Apple to do the repair so that it would be an OEM battery. I’m now looking at other repair places as I don’t really want to be messing with the glued on battery.
Purchased in 1978? Wow. :)

Ron.
Dec 16, 2004
715 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
rage wrote: I know this is an old thread but thought I’d share my experience for people to consider when buying Apple devices from IBM. I bought my MacBook a few years ago (original thread is hot-ibm-certified-open-box-apple-macboo ... ly-1946919 ) This laptop has been great but recently the battery has started to swell so I made an appointment at the Genius Bar. They plugged my serial number in the system and the purchase date comes up from 1978 which means that it’s marked as sold as-is and is not able to be serviced by Apple or any authorized service providers. I don’t know if having Apple care would have mattered or not. I was really only wanting Apple to do the repair so that it would be an OEM battery. I’m now looking at other repair places as I don’t really want to be messing with the glued on battery.
Interesting. I’ve got an IBM refurb 12” MacBook with the butterfly keyboard that Apple has extended the warranty on for 4 years “after the first retail sale”. My MacBook also has the 1978 date so I wonder if they would say it is not eligible for the keyboard program because of this “as-is” designation or whatever.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
13740 posts
1928 upvotes
Mississauga
dishguy1977 wrote: Interesting. I’ve got an IBM refurb 12” MacBook with the butterfly keyboard that Apple has extended the warranty on for 4 years “after the first retail sale”. My MacBook also has the 1978 date so I wonder if they would say it is not eligible for the keyboard program because of this “as-is” designation or whatever.
That's correct. No warranty.