• Last Updated:
  • Dec 24th, 2018 4:01 pm
[OP]
May 12, 2009
389 posts
44 upvotes

MacBook Pro from IBM Warranty

Hey everyone!

I just purchased a Refurbished MacBook Pro 2016 13 inch from IBM. Checked AppleCare and it says it has Apple care until April 2020. Anyone know if I can go to Apple in this case should something go wrong?
Last edited by 4ndro0o0o on Dec 19th, 2018 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
9 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15024 posts
2078 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, you can obtain warranty service through Apple.
[OP]
May 12, 2009
389 posts
44 upvotes
Even if its Refurbed by IBM?
audit13 wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 9:25 pm
Yes, you can obtain warranty service through Apple.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2490 posts
1479 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
4ndro0o0o wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 9:27 pm
Even if its Refurbed by IBM?
AppleCare is transferable. Just make sure it has been transferred to your name.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
[OP]
May 12, 2009
389 posts
44 upvotes
That works, but has there been cases where they open the cover and realize it’s been returbed by IBM this voiding the warranty?
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2490 posts
1479 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
4ndro0o0o wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 8:03 am
That works, but has there been cases where they open the cover and realize it’s been returbed by IBM this voiding the warranty?
You have some very good questions, but these are all questions you should have asked before you went ahead with the purchase.

Taking into consideration the fact you're asking a new question every time someone replies with an answer to your other question, I would suggest you pick up the phone and call AppleCare and ask them all your questions and get your definitive answers. Unless you're going to be returning the purchase to IBM if you don't like the answers you get, in all reality asking these questions now serve no real purpose but to let you know whether or not you have extended warranty coverage.

I wouldn't have purchased a refurb from anywhere other than Apple directly, since Apple covers their refurbs with full 12 month warranty, and you can buy AppleCare for beyond that.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
[OP]
May 12, 2009
389 posts
44 upvotes
I have 7 days to return it if I "don't like the answers" I get. I am well aware of the IBM Warranty I get with their refurbs, that being said, it would be an added bonus if Apple honoured it. The laptop that I received wasn't in the condition I expected, but if I got an extra year and a half of Apple Care, that would sway my decision in whether I kept it or returned it.

Thanks for the insight though! :)
ALLCAPS wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 9:38 am
You have some very good questions, but these are all questions you should have asked before you went ahead with the purchase.

Taking into consideration the fact you're asking a new question every time someone replies with an answer to your other question, I would suggest you pick up the phone and call AppleCare and ask them all your questions and get your definitive answers. Unless you're going to be returning the purchase to IBM if you don't like the answers you get, in all reality asking these questions now serve no real purpose but to let you know whether or not you have extended warranty coverage.

I wouldn't have purchased a refurb from anywhere other than Apple directly, since Apple covers their refurbs with full 12 month warranty, and you can buy AppleCare for beyond that.