• Jan 24th, 2018 3:49 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
3004 posts
12721 upvotes
Saint-Eustache

Macros/Nutritition question and suggestion

Its been since September i start using myfitnesspal, I used to weight 213lb so I start controlling my nutiriton and cutting 500 calories per week and checking what i'm eating everyday, Now i'm 187lbs and need another 10pound.

I do play soccer once a week and do 10000 steps with at least 2 Litres of water per day, Right before christmans I've start going twice a week to gym doing cardio and 20mns HIIT workout. My point not to body builder but lose part of my belly fat.

my fitnesspal initially settings was set to lose 0.5kg per week so total 1870 calories per day was split into 50% carbs (234g) 20% protein (94g) and 3% Fat (62g).

I stucked to same weight for at least 2 weeks 188lbs right after i've learned I should have at least 1g per pound of protein which i was taking half of it when i lost weight.

I looked into moving to carbs cycling 2 days low carbs (45% P, 20% C, 35%) and 1 day high carbs (30% P, 60% C, 10% F).

General question, isn't the body need 0.8g-1 per kg of protein? my automatically my fitnesspal settings are correct? like 50C,20P,30F?? few peoples says 40/40/20?
Rogers Unlimited Province, 12gb $39/month!
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6402 posts
1211 upvotes
No, MFP's settings aren't correct. Optimal protein intake depends on context. If you're intent on maintain the muscle you have, the more important protein intake becomes as you get leaner.

I usually assign 0.82-1g/lb for protein, give or take a bit. The rest I let carbs and fat fall where they may because beyond a minimum amount that I prefer ('enough' carbs to not feel sluggish for my activity level, 'enough' fats to keep female hormones happy), it doesn't matter what your exact macros counts are.

If you want to continue to lose weight, you need to continue to stay in a deficit. The smaller your body becomes, the less energy you need so you'll have to keep adjusting energy balance to support a continued deficit (ie eat less and/or increase activity). For those not willing to eat less, increasing NEAT is a good place to start.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
3004 posts
12721 upvotes
Saint-Eustache
amz155 wrote: No, MFP's settings aren't correct. Optimal protein intake depends on context. If you're intent on maintain the muscle you have, the more important protein intake becomes as you get leaner.

I usually assign 0.82-1g/lb for protein, give or take a bit. The rest I let carbs and fat fall where they may because beyond a minimum amount that I prefer ('enough' carbs to not feel sluggish for my activity level, 'enough' fats to keep female hormones happy), it doesn't matter what your exact macros counts are.

If you want to continue to lose weight, you need to continue to stay in a deficit. The smaller your body becomes, the less energy you need so you'll have to keep adjusting energy balance to support a continued deficit (ie eat less and/or increase activity). For those not willing to eat less, increasing NEAT is a good place to start.
It’s pretty hard to accomplish the 1g per pound from only nutrition, I found having 1-2 scoop per day of protein powder (like kaizen) can help me to get my protein intake for the day. Is it bad for health to have an extra protein other from nutrition?
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6402 posts
1211 upvotes
Rlcky wrote: It’s pretty hard to accomplish the 1g per pound from only nutrition, I found having 1-2 scoop per day of protein powder (like kaizen) can help me to get my protein intake for the day. Is it bad for health to have an extra protein other from nutrition?
If you're relying on protein powder, that's no good. But to supplement with it to beef up the daily P tally, it's fine.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
3004 posts
12721 upvotes
Saint-Eustache
amz155 wrote: If you're relying on protein powder, that's no good. But to supplement with it to beef up the daily P tally, it's fine.
Yes, it's just supplement depends on the days, sometimes getting the 200g from food sources is impossible depends on the days.

You can't have every day chicken/salmon/eggs otherwise you will get bored with the food's routine.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6402 posts
1211 upvotes
Rlcky wrote: Yes, it's just supplement depends on the days, sometimes getting the 200g from food sources is impossible depends on the days.

You can't have every day chicken/salmon/eggs otherwise you will get bored with the food's routine.
200g is overkill for you IMO. 155-170 is plenty!
Jun 12, 2017
122 posts
46 upvotes
I've been going with 1g of protein per lb of LEAN bodyweight. So it will depend on your body fat levels.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6402 posts
1211 upvotes
SauceLife wrote: I've been going with 1g of protein per lb of LEAN bodyweight. So it will depend on your body fat levels.
Most people don't know their LBM, even quasi accurately.
Jun 12, 2017
122 posts
46 upvotes
amz155 wrote: Most people don't know their LBM, even quasi accurately.
You're right. Let me break this down:

Eg. If you are 200lb and guesstimate that you are around 20% body fat, then you'd do the math and assume 80% of your 200lb is lean body mass. This equals 160lbs = 160g of protein.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6402 posts
1211 upvotes
SauceLife wrote: You're right. Let me break this down:

Eg. If you are 200lb and guesstimate that you are around 20% body fat, then you'd do the math and assume 80% of your 200lb is lean body mass. This equals 160lbs = 160g of protein.
I still like to go based on body weight because most people can't estimate their body fat % properly either. I'm talking beginners and people who haven't looked at a lot of bodies (lol) and have a good idea of how to estimate visually. IME people usually underestimate their bf%. Do you find the same thing?
Jun 12, 2017
122 posts
46 upvotes
amz155 wrote: I still like to go based on body weight because most people can't estimate their body fat % properly either. I'm talking beginners and people who haven't looked at a lot of bodies (lol) and have a good idea of how to estimate visually. IME people usually underestimate their bf%. Do you find the same thing?
100% agree with you. All valid points. It just gets dicey when you have someone who is overweight/obese. It's not that feasible for a 350lb person to eat 350g of protein.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6402 posts
1211 upvotes
SauceLife wrote: 100% agree with you. All valid points. It just gets dicey when you have someone who is overweight/obese. It's not that feasible for a 350lb person to eat 350g of protein.
Oh, I forgot to state that too. The obese can get away with a LOT less P than 1g/lb body weight. For sure. I guess the positive side of having a lot of fat to lose is that it's muscle sparing to some extent :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)