Computers & Electronics

MAG254 - What can I use it for, does it compare to IKS?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2016 11:44 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3220 posts
227 upvotes

MAG254 - What can I use it for, does it compare to IKS?

I sold my FTA years ago, I never did IKS.

Can anyone tell me what I can do with this? Is this a streaming box that will just stream currently available torrents? Or does it do more and how does it compare to IKS?

Image quality is important to me, will it provide full 1080P HD? I'm guessing no 4k.

Are the menus easy to use, kid friendly, good DVR functionality?

I read threads that say you need an account, who's the best provider and what does it cost? Is it one time fee, monthly, yearly?

Where is the best place to order online?

Thanks
19 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16510 posts
2183 upvotes
Quality is around 720P, don't expect high quality 1080P or 4K yet. 4K is coming with the new H.265 boxes, but is still several months away before it becomes mainstream.

Menus are easy to use; generally kid friendly. Don't expect DVR to work as it is not enabled by most providers.

For a provider, I'm pretty happy with IPTVSubs, but there are several other ones out there, including private resellers with their own servers.

To buy a MAG254, you can pick one up at your local reseller: http://www.infomir.eu --> Where to buy
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3220 posts
227 upvotes
coolspot wrote:
Jul 18th, 2016 8:54 am
Quality is around 720P, don't expect high quality 1080P or 4K yet. 4K is coming with the new H.265 boxes, but is still several months away before it becomes mainstream.

Menus are easy to use; generally kid friendly. Don't expect DVR to work as it is not enabled by most providers.

For a provider, I'm pretty happy with IPTVSubs, but there are several other ones out there, including private resellers with their own servers.

To buy a MAG254, you can pick one up at your local reseller: http://www.infomir.eu --> Where to buy
How does this compare to those streaming boxes? I think I've seen them referred to as Kodi before, I'm not sure if it is the same thing or how it differs?
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
10615 posts
1390 upvotes
you can get it from Amazon.ca and test it out...return if u dont like it...i think it is $100 and no tax..bought 1 last week

i can help you to get one day free trial for iptv if u r interested to try it yourself..
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
10615 posts
1390 upvotes
if u want Kodi and nice interface IPTV, then go with AVOV...again u can get it from Amazon to try it out..
Rockstead wrote:
Jul 18th, 2016 9:21 am
How does this compare to those streaming boxes? I think I've seen them referred to as Kodi before, I'm not sure if it is the same thing or how it differs?
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3220 posts
227 upvotes
kiasu wrote:
Jul 18th, 2016 9:56 am
if u want Kodi and nice interface IPTV, then go with AVOV...again u can get it from Amazon to try it out..
Sorry, I'm not entirely sure what I want.

Does the MAG254 support Kodi?

Is Kodi the best for streaming? Are the streams just the same streams of current torrents and just saves me time from downloading torrents and I can just stream instead?

Since I'm streaming, would I still need a DVR? Or can I just resume watching from the last streaming location?

Does Kodi require any paid subscription?

I already have a legit Direct subscription, so I'm happy with reliable content.

This would be more for newer movies, or shows I missed.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19068 posts
4167 upvotes
Thornhill
Rockstead wrote:
Jul 18th, 2016 11:11 am

Is Kodi the best for streaming? Are the streams just the same streams of current torrents and just saves me time from downloading torrents and I can just stream instead?
Kodi is the platform that you stream with, the sources will vary (Castaway, SALTS, etc.) on selection, video quality and reliability. Some streams buffer a lot and you just have to pause and let it buffer, or find a new source.
Rockstead wrote:
Since I'm streaming, would I still need a DVR? Or can I just resume watching from the last streaming location?
It automatically asks you if you want to resume or start from the start.
Rockstead wrote:
No, again, Kodi is the platform. The sources you want to add are usually free, but there are some paid subs.

Overall quality is 480p-720p, I do find some 1080p sources from time to time but not usually. I can't speak for the MAG and Kodi, since I use a Shield TV and SPMC(a version of Kodi).
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
10615 posts
1390 upvotes
mag254:
- No kodi at all...strictly to IPTV
- Nice interface and good for non technically ppl like grandparents
- LAN and no wifi u may need to get dongle for wifi

AVOV:
- Nice interface for IPTV, good for non technically ppl
- Come with Kodi, good for technically ppl
- come with wifi but no AC

Rockstead wrote:
Sorry, I'm not entirely sure what I want.

Does the MAG254 support Kodi?

I already have a legit Direct subscription, so I'm happy with reliable content.

This would be more for newer movies, or shows I missed.
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
4283 posts
572 upvotes
You can play media over USB or though LAN with the mag254 but it's very basic. It's by far the best box for IPTV imo. I have two, never had any problems.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3220 posts
227 upvotes
kiasu wrote:
Jul 18th, 2016 11:31 am
mag254:
- No kodi at all...strictly to IPTV
- Nice interface and good for non technically ppl like grandparents
- LAN and no wifi u may need to get dongle for wifi

AVOV:
- Nice interface for IPTV, good for non technically ppl
- Come with Kodi, good for technically ppl
- come with wifi but no AC
Okay but if AVOV does both Kodi and IPTV, wouldn't that be the better choice?

What other reason would someone choose the MAG254 over the AVOV?

Also, Kodi vs IPTV, which one would you pick and why.

In terms of buffering over Kodi, how much memory does the AVOV or MAG254 come with? Sometimes I go for the torrents that are 10GB so I can get the full HD and good sound, so I'm used to the quality.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5417 posts
365 upvotes
Toronto
MAG254 is designed for only 1 thing: IPTV
(although it can also do youtube). You can load things on USB and or through LAN and play it.

MAG254 is the best experience you can have for IPTV - no lag. No settings. No tweaking. It works.

AVOV can do more - but for what I played around with, it does have lag when changing channels etc. If you changing multiple channels etc - it will get annoygin really fast (because of slow-responses) .

KODI is ok as a cheap alternative - but it certainly not as friendly / fast as MAG254 (especially for IPTV). You run into other weired issues with it - corruption (once in a blue moon), manage repositories / updates , hardware acceleration sometime is a blessing other time is a curse.

If you want live tv: Get mag254 - get paid subscription.

If you want a box to do everything? I will probably lean for android box but there is no "best" - its all relevant.
For Sale:
  • DSLR Slider
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6983 posts
594 upvotes
Toronto
Just to clarify as I don't think this was explained.

Kodi is an APPLICATION, it's software that runs on many platforms including Windows, MAC, Android. Kodi comes with built-in software clients (apps) that connect to IPTV servers/service providers much like a hardware solution. Kodi can do a lot more than IPTV like running your media library, music library, other applications etc.

AVOV is officially out of business so no need to muddy the waters.

Mag boxes are pure and simple IPTV clients, and that's all they do.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16510 posts
2183 upvotes
Rockstead wrote:
Jul 18th, 2016 9:21 am
Much better quality and reliability.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2001
1815 posts
834 upvotes
Toronto
I notice kijiji has several listing for MAG256 for about $100. I'm assuming this will be better then MAG254, since it supports HVEC. Anybody have MAG256 and how was your experience with it?
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
10615 posts
1390 upvotes
act what is the diff btw that 2?
lurker99 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2016 8:52 am
I notice kijiji has several listing for MAG256 for about $100. I'm assuming this will be better then MAG254, since it supports HVEC. Anybody have MAG256 and how was your experience with it?
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)