Computers & Electronics

MagicJack concurrent to a landline service

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 9th, 2020 3:19 pm
[OP]
Jul 7, 2020
1 posts

MagicJack concurrent to a landline service

Hello all...would really appreciate some help confirming the possibility of using Magicjack's voip service at the same time and on the same phone line that already has an active landline connection. To make a long story short, my elderly aunt has an active landline connection with Bell, as well as Fibe TV & internet (FTTN). She will be hosting a distant relative who will be renting her basement so she can live closer to her new job. Our relative has been an active Magicjack user for many years (no complaints apparently) and has her own canadian telephone number with them. She would like to hook up her Magicjack device to my aunt's internet (either directly on the router or to her own laptop) and set up her own handsets as she did before in her apartment. My aunt has a good discount on her landline and as you can imagine, doesn't want her number or landline connection disturbed in any way. There should be no problem with this setup, right? In other words, if I were to call my aunt's number, it will ring on her handsets...and if i were to call my relative's number, it will ring on the handsets connected to her Magicjack, and they can both use their services at the same time without interference? When my aunt first asked me, my initial reaction was, "yes, of course it will work'' but after reading too many telephony articles on the internet about having two phone numbers on the same line, i'm now more confused than when i started. Thanks in advance for the responses.
2 replies
Jan 6, 2019
59 posts
32 upvotes
Magicjack is a VOIP phone service and uses the local Internet connection for phone calls. It does not use the same service as your Aun'ts analog phone line. Only thing to you need to make sure is do not plug the Magicjack output back into the standard phone wall jacks in the house. Just connect it to the router and connect the handset to the Magicjack.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29051 posts
14592 upvotes
Yes, assuming the relative keeps it out of your aunt's phone wiring.
You *can* wire them in so it does take over, but by default it's not. You have to actively wire it in.
Plugging it into the computer/router and their own phones won't impact your aunt at all. Just make sure that they don't plug it into any wall phone outlets.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.