Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
The Source

MagicJack from the source!!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2010 1:38 pm
Tags:
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
13813 posts
2942 upvotes
Vancouver
My magic jack is great. If you don't mind using a soft-phone with a mic/etc then go for FREE.

If you want to use a real telephone then get magicjack.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16262 posts
2944 upvotes
FYI, The Source has quit selling the Magic Jack.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17022 posts
4810 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
prosonik wrote: It sounds like it will fit my needs nicely. Is there any cheaper unlimited VOIP around?
Yes, if you use Skype's $3.95 option.

Unlimited NA calling but this does give you an inbound number though.
Dec 25, 2007
693 posts
678 upvotes
Vancouver
JAC wrote: FYI, The Source has quit selling the Magic Jack.
Yup, Apparently some stores have them instock but they are not allowed to sell then anymore! Ugh, I really needed one today!
Jan 4, 2007
196 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
JAC wrote: FYI, The Source has quit selling the Magic Jack.
Not particularly surprised at this considering that The Source is now owned by Bell and the purpose of this device is to avoid Long Distance! :cheesygri
RKL
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
8090 posts
8600 upvotes
Calgary
went there today, they had to ship them all back.
Sep 30, 2001
29583 posts
9131 upvotes
Toronto
i'm ready to bite the bullet on this gizmo. question is should i buy it from magicjack.com, .ca, or someplace like importbestbuys.com? any difference in terms of support and the ability to get a cdn #?
Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
3750 posts
232 upvotes
Montreal
Buy it from the website, however, beware, many users have reported that they have run out of numbers for some canadian cities.

For example, they have zero numbers for montreal. Their tech support is clueless and will constantly re-assure you that numbers are available.

Once you pick a number, they don't let you change it to another canadian number, I had to return mine.

There are also some reports of line quality being crappy for canadian dialing, YMMV.
Heatware: 2-0-0
eBay: 69-0-0
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1025 upvotes
arkayel wrote: Not particularly surprised at this considering that The Source is now owned by Bell and the purpose of this device is to avoid Long Distance! :cheesygri
Lets hope that Wal-Mart, Best Buy or another retailer not controlled by Bell starts to carry it so Bell will loose LD sales and what they would have made selling this.

All the more reason to avoid anything Bell when possible.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Sep 21, 2007
331 posts
39 upvotes
Is the $10 for Canadian area code a one time fee or every year?
Sep 30, 2001
29583 posts
9131 upvotes
Toronto
Fireflies wrote: Is the $10 for Canadian area code a one time fee or every year?
the mj.com rep told me it's $10 each year.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
4088 posts
346 upvotes
I just got denied from the Source. One clerk said they have lots of them in stock, the other said, nononono we can't sell it! I never heard of this happening before. I hate BELL!
Ephemera

Member since 2005.
Deal Guru
Apr 24, 2006
10642 posts
909 upvotes
Mississauga
So can you call regular landline/cells in Canada? ie regardless if I have a US or CA number, if I call, as long as my cell is in my local area, then its just a regular call right? But if I call, and its a US number, then it will be long distance, is this correct? Also does the computer have to be on for it to receive and make calls? Thanks
Sep 30, 2001
29583 posts
9131 upvotes
Toronto
Tijuana wrote: So can you call regular landline/cells in Canada?
yes
But if I call, and its a US number, then it will be long distance, is this correct?
:confused:

It's free calling across N.A.
Also does the computer have to be on for it to receive and make calls? Thanks
Yes to both