MagicJack - Stealing My Credits!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2013 8:31 pm
[OP]
Jan 23, 2008
975 posts
519 upvotes

MagicJack - Stealing My Credits!

Hey RFD - it'll be a long read, so if you do read + comment + help me, it will be MUCH appreciated.

My dad ALWAYS uses the magicjack app on his iPhone, which is attached to an account he has with a magicjack device. He's also loaded up a few dollars worth of credits for international calling on the application.

A few days ago, I updated my dad's iPhone 4 to iOS 7 (he was in iOS 5 still). Something went wrong, and the update couldn't be done (and he didn't back it up...smh, smh) so his entire phone had to be reformatted. During the new iPhone set up, he decided to change XXX's iPhone to YYY's iPhone, a simple name change. After reinstalling the magicjack app with the same iTunes account he had before, and linking it with the same magicjack account, he found that his credits were gone.

So we talked to the magic jack reps (these are the main excerpts):

Carina: That is not possible since you have used two phones. The prepaid minutes has
been used and not allowed to transfer to another device.
xx: How...is that two phones
xx: Sorry but it is the SAME phone, it was only reformatted because Apple failed on the update.
xx: The minutes have NOT been used, the balance is STILL there.
xx: If you can prove to me that the IMEI numbers on both phones are different, then I will agree with you that they are two phones.
xx: Currently, I can provide you the same IMEI on only that ONE device that has that app with that balance.
xx: If you cannot prove that those are two phones then that's considered stealing my balance, is it not?
xx: Please transfer over my balance.
Carina: I understand that but it appears on your account a different phone number.
xx: There is no way to transfer this?
xx: That is ridiculous.
Carina: One moment please...
Carina: I am transferring you to one of our top 10% agents as rated by our customers.

Please hold while I transfer you.
xx: Thank you.
Carina: One moment please...

Please wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited site operator.
You are now chatting with 'Francis'
xx: Hello Francis
Francis: Hi There, welcome to higher level of support. This is Francis and I will be assisting you today. Hold on while i check your previous conversation. Thank you.
Francis: Thank you for waiting
Francis: Let me make this quick, the pre paid minutes which was applied to other application is non transferable. So you can only use the pre paid minutes where it was applied..
Francis: every magicjack device or application registered on account do have a different subscriptions and or pre paid minutes.. So if you purchase pre paid for your device, then the pre paid minutes applied to device cannot be used by other application or device registered on account.. it is only possible to use pre paid minutes to where it was applied.
xx: I am using the minutes to where it was applied. It was the same phone, same cell number, same Apple ID that downloaded the magic jack app.
xx: It is your system that is causing this differentiation.
xx: Please give me the exact part in your terms and conditions that state we cannot use our prepaid minutes on the SAME device.
xx: I am willing to escalate this to get my money's worth. This is not fair.
Francis: One moment please...
Francis: .
Francis: Thank you for waiting
Francis: As what you have mentioned above-- that it is the same phone where both application registered..
Francis: However, that is not possible, as even if you uninstall and reinstall the application or reset the phone to where this application installed, the application will still be registered on same account.. Only here on our end can only deactivate particular application..
Francis: As well as--- I checked the UDID of both application which you are referring as "The same".. I'm afraid but the UDID of both applications were not the same... So meaning 2 iphone applications registered into your MJ account were installed and applied to 2 different iOS phones..
Francis: UDID is a permanent identification of a phone and it cannot be changed even
if you upgrade to new version of iOS.
xx: So...if I reformat the phone and change from xxxx's IPHONE to yyyy's IPHONE again, would that phone identification revert back to normal?
Francis: No, it will not.. Even if you uninstall and reinstall back the application.. it will be the same application still.
Francis: There will be no changes even if you reset it.
xx: How does this UDID change if it is the same phone?
Francis: UDID was an identifier of a phone -- its permanent and cannot be changed.
xx: This is what I don't understand, it is the same phone, so how would it be different...?

---------

Soo....

1) They won't give back the credits.

2) Does Apple change UDID numbers when you update? WHAT?! Or is there something on iOS 7 that brings upon this change.

Yep. Help. Or...am I screwed, or is this too much hassle? lol

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
3 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22298 posts
3161 upvotes
No, the UDID cannot be changed. That said Apple no longer allows app to access it.
[OP]
Jan 23, 2008
975 posts
519 upvotes
Kasakato wrote: No, the UDID cannot be changed. That said Apple no longer allows app to access it.
So what's this guy talking about?! -_-

He says if I bring it up anywhere, he can prove it's different...
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22298 posts
3161 upvotes
cryingx wrote: So what's this guy talking about?! -_-

He says if I bring it up anywhere, he can prove it's different...
Google around. Theres plenty of reports.