• Apr 15th, 2019 4:26 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2013
1134 posts
1136 upvotes

Maid, housekeeper, cleaning lady

As our family grew we realized we were wasting an entire weekend day doing cleaning and laundry.
We decided to get someone to help us with cleaning. I didnt realize it would be that difficult to find someone.
It seems they are usually small businesses or individuals and it was hard to find reviews.
We had a lady reffered to us by a friend that charges by the hour. $20 now increasing to 22 this summer.

We were thinking of having her come in say 3 hours every other week to do the kitchen, bathrooms and floors.
Still not sure as we have never used this kind of service before.

What are your housekeeping arrangements?
48 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
2738 posts
338 upvotes
Waterloo
RaphaelG041 wrote:
Mar 31st, 2019 6:32 pm
As our family grew we realized we were wasting an entire weekend day doing cleaning and laundry.
We decided to get someone to help us with cleaning. I didnt realize it would be that difficult to find someone.
It seems they are usually small businesses or individuals and it was hard to find reviews.
We had a lady reffered to us by a friend that charges by the hour. $20 now increasing to 22 this summer.

We were thinking of having her come in say 3 hours every other week to do the kitchen, bathrooms and floors.
Still not sure as we have never used this kind of service before.

What are your housekeeping arrangements?
every other week,? it must not be a lot of work.

Anycase, Roomba and Braava.
Jan 12, 2009
34 posts
9 upvotes
We have a cleaning lady that comes in to clean the house every other week for about 4-5 hours and we pay her $100 cash. She only cleans...does not do laundry.
Aug 7, 2013
496 posts
103 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
settons wrote:
Apr 1st, 2019 8:59 am
We have a cleaning lady that comes in to clean the house every other week for about 4-5 hours and we pay her $100 cash. She only cleans...does not do laundry.
What area do you live in? We have someone that comes every other week but charges us $145 for a 2,000 square foot 4 bedroom home with 2 1/2 bathrooms and a finished basement.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9211 posts
1809 upvotes
Somewhere
We pay $110 for 5 hours of time, once every 4 weeks.

2 person, 1500 sqft semi.

She has a key, so she comes to clean during the day on Wednesdays. I've only ever seen her once, the first time.
:confused:
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
11043 posts
5467 upvotes
Toronto
Once a week I have a robot vacuum that sweeps the floors, wife does the bathrooms and I do kitchen, the dishes, but we share laundry, etc... Wash pans/pots, clean counters every day.

Interested to know why people need to pay for these types of services regularly, considering like 2 hours/week is more than enough time to do a decent cleaning if you stay on top of it though out the week for 2 people.

Is it lifestyle? IE; too busy. Don't like to clean but live in filth until servant comes scrubbing?

Also, how do you really trust these folks? Do you lock up your stuff?
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Feb 20, 2012
71 posts
22 upvotes
koffey wrote: Once a week I have a robot vacuum that sweeps the floors, wife does the bathrooms and I do kitchen, the dishes, but we share laundry, etc... Wash pans/pots, clean counters every day.

Interested to know why people need to pay for these types of services regularly, considering like 2 hours/week is more than enough time to do a decent cleaning if you stay on top of it though out the week for 2 people.

Is it lifestyle? IE; too busy. Don't like to clean but live in filth until servant comes scrubbing?

I used to feel this way as well but then we just had a baby and I don’t feel like I have time for anything.. we use my mother in laws cleaner who was also my husbands nanny so they’ve known her for about 15 years or possibly more.

She comes in once or twice a month to do a deep clean and is here for 4-5 hours. For us it means more time as a family
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
11043 posts
5467 upvotes
Toronto
monetlovettdarby wrote:
Apr 1st, 2019 11:01 am
I used to feel this way as well but then we just had a baby and I don’t feel like I have time for anything.. we use my mother in laws cleaner who was also my husbands nanny so they’ve known her for about 15 years or possibly more.

She comes in once or twice a month to do a deep clean and is here for 4-5 hours. For us it means more time as a family
I just find it strange. How do you eat? Do you actually cook or just buy fast food/pre packaged meals? I guess this is what doesn't make sense to me. Takes me about an hour to hour and half to cook a meal, about 20mins to clean up the mess. Given that I cook typically 6 days of the week, I can afford to spend a full hour of my weekend to clean up a kitchen while my wife to do the bathrooms. As I say, if you keep on top of it, it isn't that bad and it's a fairly quick job.

I can easily throw out an ad to offer cleaning services, but how do you know that they would clean it as well as you? How do you know you are not getting scammed? Stuff being stolen? Do you have one room in the house that is under lock and key and you keep all the goods in there?
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
2328 posts
1638 upvotes
I think $22 an hour is a good price. Considering that the cleaner has to drive to your home, their rate has to include travel time and gas and auto costs.
Feb 20, 2012
71 posts
22 upvotes
koffey wrote: I just find it strange. How do you eat? Do you actually cook or just buy fast food/pre packaged meals? I guess this is what doesn't make sense to me. Takes me about an hour to hour and half to cook a meal, about 20mins to clean up the mess. Given that I cook typically 6 days of the week, I can afford to spend a full hour of my weekend to clean up a kitchen while my wife to do the bathrooms. As I say, if you keep on top of it, it isn't that bad and it's a fairly quick job.

I can easily throw out an ad to offer cleaning services, but how do you know that they would clean it as well as you? How do you know you are not getting scammed? Stuff being stolen? Do you have one room in the house that is under lock and key and you keep all the goods in there?
I cook most days! Sometimes we do buy pre Prepared food.
I totally agree with you if you keep ontop of it, it really doesn’t take long !

For us - my life is currently running in like 3 hour spans (due to a newborn) the dishes just seem to pile up faster than I can keep up , so does the laundry and the dog hair etc

Pre baby we definitely had the time and didn’t have a need for any help.

I personally wouldn’t never hire a random person, we’ve only ever used people that other friends and family have used. Like I said ours is basically a member of or family , she helped raise my husband and his two Bros and was the house keeper for my in-laws parents as well.

Our dog walker for instance has a key to the house and we’ve never had anything missing that. I just made sure anything important was put away (we have a safe) most of our stuff isn’t worth stealing any way aha

We also have an irregular schedule - sometimes I’m home, sometimes I’m only here when they get back etc so it’s never predictable as to when someone’s gonna be here or not
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6635 posts
3795 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
koffey wrote:
Apr 1st, 2019 11:12 am
I just find it strange. How do you eat? Do you actually cook or just buy fast food/pre packaged meals? I guess this is what doesn't make sense to me. Takes me about an hour to hour and half to cook a meal, about 20mins to clean up the mess. Given that I cook typically 6 days of the week, I can afford to spend a full hour of my weekend to clean up a kitchen while my wife to do the bathrooms. As I say, if you keep on top of it, it isn't that bad and it's a fairly quick job.

What is hard to understand? Many people value what precious little free time they have and would rather not fill it up doing menial shit like housewor k. If housework floats your boat, then there is no need for you to respond to people who value different things than you as if they are somehow "wrong". I f'ing hate housework and would pay someone to come in several times a week and do it if I could. And I have had cleaners in the past, and no, I didn't keep everything under lock and key.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
11043 posts
5467 upvotes
Toronto
Chickinvic wrote:
Apr 1st, 2019 1:46 pm
What is hard to understand? Many people value what precious little free time they have and would rather not fill it up doing menial shit like housewor k. If housework floats your boat, then there is no need for you to respond to people who value different things than you as if they are somehow "wrong". I f'ing hate housework and would pay someone to come in several times a week and do it if I could. And I have had cleaners in the past, and no, I didn't keep everything under lock and key.
Someone piss in your cereal this AM? This is a thread, I'm allowed to contribute and question. Just like every other thread out there, people care about what others burn or waste their money on when it comes to a coupon clipping site. So, keep your panties unbounded and don't worry what is hard for me to understand, I'm asking to have answers the questions that I posted to allow me to understand. Difficult concept. And no where did I say it was wrong or these folks are wrong.

And while you say you f*cking hate housework, you imply that you are not paying anyone anymore, so it can't be that bad. Surprising that people are that trustworthy of strangers.... I shall leave this thread to run it's course since I now understand, ya'll lazy jerks with money to burn or at least one is/did.
Last edited by koffey on Apr 1st, 2019 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Dec 25, 2007
921 posts
394 upvotes
GTA
Life is tough for some people. Thoughts and prayers for all.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2013
1134 posts
1136 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
Apr 1st, 2019 1:46 pm

This.

Its not that I can't do it. I've been doing it my whole life but now I want to spend the limited time I have left after a long work week with my family instead of cleaning.

I do try to "stay on top" but staying on top during the week doesn't mop the floors, scrub the shower and the toilet, shine the faucets, etc etc etc.

I don't think this is "burning money" We aren't rich. Rich people have butlers to take care of all that lmao.
Jun 11, 2006
246 posts
161 upvotes
koffey wrote:
Apr 1st, 2019 10:56 am
Once a week I have a robot vacuum that sweeps the floors, wife does the bathrooms and I do kitchen, the dishes, but we share laundry, etc... Wash pans/pots, clean counters every day.

Once I didn't have to pay childcare costs anymore, I got a cleaner. I love it and it would be hard to go back without one. That said, we are a family of 5 in a 2500 sq ft house and she cleans 4-5 hrs every 2 weeks. I find that the bare minimum. If I had unlimited money, I would have her come every week! Of course you still have to do day to day cleaning like the kitchen, sweep up crumbs etc. Also, there is still plenty of other cleaning that we still have to do (she mops and cleans all floors, kitchens, bath etc). I don't mind laundry so much, mostly the bathrooms I hate. Cleaning always seems to put me in an irritable mood, lol, so I find it worth it (probably my husband too, lol). I'd give up eating out for a meal or two before giving up my cleaner!

I trust her so I don't lock up my stuff. I got her through a referral.