Mailbox Lock - Looking for Advice

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 4th, 2020 8:35 pm
[OP]
Sep 15, 2018
235 posts
40 upvotes

Mailbox Lock - Looking for Advice

Hi. I purchased a condominium unit last month. After the purchase, I was given the keys including 2 mailbox keys.

Last week when I went to check my mail on my way out, I received mail that belonged to the previous owner but since I was on my way out, I left it in the mailbox to pick up the next day.

When I came back the next day, the mail was missing. I then received 2 more mail addressed to the previous owner and left it in there on purpose, they too disappeared with my mail left behind with one instance of it disappearing on the same day. I stopped and asked the mail guy that regularly comes to our condo and he said he doesn’t take mail back out if not picked up within a day.

So I had suspicion that they still had a mailbox key and are accessing my mailbox. I contacted property management and they are saying that there were 3 keys given to the previous owner. I contacted my lawyer regarding this and after talking to the other lawyer, my lawyer has determined that the previous owner “forgot” to give the 3rd mailbox key.

I am trying to change the lock to my mailbox in my condominium. Canada post says they are not responsible. Property management is saying I have to change the lock through their locksmith which is $158 which is 7 times the price if I were to do it myself.

Any advice regarding what I can do regarding the previous owner accessing my mailbox? Also anyone have experience in changing mailbox locks by our own means in a condo? Thanks.

Thanks.
8 replies
Jan 30, 2019
103 posts
63 upvotes
This is a shot in the dark, but could the concierge not allow the former owner to access the mail until your lawyer gets back the key?
Jun 7, 2017
944 posts
678 upvotes
BC
Yet another example of what can occur in a dense living environment when you rely on others to look after you.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
3538 posts
664 upvotes
Furcorn wrote: Yet another example of what can occur in a dense living environment when you rely on others to look after you.
It's not that big a deal. You win some. You lose some. I'd chalk it up to "part of the deal" when you purchase a new property.

Some people who purchase detached homes change the locks and some don't. It's just part of the purchase.
Jun 7, 2017
944 posts
678 upvotes
BC
poorwingman wrote: You win some. You lose some. I'd chalk it up to "part of the deal" when you purchase a new property.
Wrong, and you ignored the message. You can do something amount it when you are in control.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
3538 posts
664 upvotes
OP can still do something about it now. It just costs a little more.
Nov 14, 2016
157 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
The previous owner has NO right to accessing that mailbox as he/she is not the owner anymore. They should pay canada post to forward their mail to their new address and hand over the 3rd key immediately.
Aug 22, 2016
368 posts
202 upvotes
What a situation. Sounds like time for funniest vid. You should take a video of this guy and post it on YouTube.
Jun 6, 2018
91 posts
39 upvotes
So, just to clarify, was it just the mail belonging to the previous owners that was removed or mail addressed to you as well?
If your mail was stolen then contact the police to get the video evidence so they can be criminally charged or at least scared into handing over the key.
However, fyi, there is a little known tip for dealing with mail in your box that is a mistake.
Any mail not meant for your box needs to be pushed out the back of the mailbox to fall onto the floor. The mailman then puts it in the proper box. No stolen mail.
Bonus part, if you get to the box before them repeatedly and do this, then they wasted a trip to the condo.
On another issue . Make sure to cancel all fobs associated with your unit that you do not have possession of.
I will bet that they have extra fobs in their possession.