Home & Garden

Main washroom Fan is running (not turning off)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 24th, 2021 8:51 am
[OP]
Jan 24, 2010
324 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto

Main washroom Fan is running (not turning off)

Hi,
My main washroom fan is suddenly running non stop, it has switches in the washroom and one in the First floor (near thermostat), none seem to be working.
Any idea why ?

I couldn't find any thread discussing this specific issue here, but I did find some threads in the internet , most of them for US...

Thank you so much.

I found vidoes that disconnect the fuse after removing the Fan net, I don't want to do that as it would stop the fan forever.

Thanks again.
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8361 posts
4068 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
So 2 switches (3-way presumably) control the fan? Could be the switches are broken so power is connected all the time.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12601 posts
1493 upvotes
Brampton
Remove the fan cover. You should see the plug for the fan. Pull out the plug.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
[OP]
Jan 24, 2010
324 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
thriftshopper wrote: So 2 switches (3-way presumably) control the fan? Could be the switches are broken so power is connected all the time.
Very possible, I even feel the switch is loose, but why the second switch is not responding. That is why I am surprised and like to see if anyone experienced this.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8361 posts
4068 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
jay_jay wrote: Very possible, I even feel the switch is loose, but why the second switch is not responding. That is why I am surprised and like to see if anyone experienced this.
Could be some strange wiring configuration, and maybe power is supplied direct to the fan (some auto switch feature) and the switches are on a separate switch circuit.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
[OP]
Jan 24, 2010
324 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
cheapmeister wrote: Remove the fan cover. You should see the plug for the fan. Pull out the plug.
Thank you did it. Fan is stopped now (one less issue), now I need to replace the switch which I will do it. when I opened the cover I see the switch displays the word "Common Switch", I will take it to home depot for replacement.
[OP]
Jan 24, 2010
324 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
thriftshopper wrote: Could be some strange wiring configuration, and maybe power is supplied direct to the fan (some auto switch feature) and the switches are on a separate switch circuit.
I doubt anything strange about it (it worked all these years), as said, I felt the switch bit loose, possibly it got worn out. let me investigate replacing it.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3523 posts
1712 upvotes
Mississauga
It's a 3way switch.. if its loose something broke in the toggle so it's not disconnecting.
[OP]
Jan 24, 2010
324 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
TLSRULZ wrote: It's a 3way switch.. if its loose something broke in the toggle so it's not disconnecting.
Thank you. I will change the switch soon..
Jul 4, 2021
376 posts
197 upvotes
GTA
Some fans have a switch that automatically turns on the fan when humidity is higher than a certain amount... Check if your fan has those. If not, then you've solved it. If yes, before you change your switches, make sure it's not the humidity in your house auto starting your fan...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)