Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18850 posts
2122 upvotes

Maintenance Costs Over 10 Years

Your Mechanic (via Lifehacker) has posted maintenance costs over 10 years broken down by brands.
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/th ... ddy-martin

Not a surprise to see BMW and MB on top while the 3 Toyota brands at the bottom.

There's also a lot more information in the link like most and least expensive vehicles to maintain and other bits.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
34 replies
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18850 posts
2122 upvotes
Gee wrote: If that is the cost over 10 years, it isn't too bad. Still $1700 is a lot per year.
It should be noted that this is in USD.

The information is about common maintenance and I don't believe it includes repair costs.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
Jun 8, 2016
55 posts
157 upvotes
"In order to estimate annual maintenance costs, we found the amount spent on every two oil changes (as oil changes are generally done every six months)."

So, for brands like BMW where the recommended oil change interval is once every 2 years, the annual maintenance cost would actually be the cost for 4 years?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18850 posts
2122 upvotes
Shallos wrote: "In order to estimate annual maintenance costs, we found the amount spent on every two oil changes (as oil changes are generally done every six months)."

So, for brands like BMW where the recommended oil change interval is once every 2 years, the annual maintenance cost would actually be the cost for 4 years?
You would think they included things like tire rotation and balancing, fluid top up/changes, new tires, air filter replacements, wiper blades, etc into the cost of maintenance. While they specifically point out oil changes, it doesn't say they only calculate oil changes because $550 for 2 oil changes for Toyotas don't make sense.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
Jun 8, 2016
55 posts
157 upvotes
Haz wrote: You would think they included things like tire rotation and balancing, fluid top up/changes, new tires, air filter replacements, wiper blades, etc into the cost of maintenance. While they specifically point out oil changes, it doesn't say they only calculate oil changes because $550 for 2 oil changes for Toyotas don't make sense.
Sounds reasonable. How about the fact that they are only using their own data?

"We decided to use our data to understand which cars break down the most and have the highest maintenance costs."

Are they charging more base on the brand? Or is certain brand less reliable? If it is all internal data, why didn't they normalise it? Such as separating parts and labour, setting average mileage for each year, etc.?

The entire article just reads very suspicious to me. Feels like it is a sponsored article, which Toyota is well known for doing.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4314 posts
1803 upvotes
So useless and dubious!!! They need to also calculate the repairs cost, not only the maintenance.

For example - A Mini (#25) has the same cost over 10 years than a Mazda? umpossible!! simply umpossible!!

When you add the repairs, well, it is a different story. Please go and check the reliability of a 10 year old Mini (2006 models)... transmissions failures galore... these cars do not age well, and repairs are expensive.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13982 posts
8085 upvotes
Toronto
yeah, skeptical data at best.

I got 5 years free maintenance with my Volvo...also not taken into consideration.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12252 posts
6802 upvotes
Brampton
Makes me really want to go out and buy a Lexus.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18850 posts
2122 upvotes
Swerny wrote: yeah, skeptical data at best.

I got 5 years free maintenance with my Volvo...also not taken into consideration.
By no means is this the definitive data, just what one large company in the US has experienced. You also have to account for things like the type of clientele they service, how many of each car or brand in their sample data and maybe even regional pricing on labour (their example of pricing showed $80 per hour and 3 hours for a timing belt change on a Corolla). What this article might show is a possible trend.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11893 posts
1686 upvotes
Toronto
These numbers feel high. I've owned a brand new Civic for just a bit over 5 years now, and here are my DIY maintenance costs:

~7 oil changes @ $35 each for oil and filter = $245
1 transmission fluid change @ $30 for fluid
1 full brake job @ $250 for pads/rotors/fluid
4 sets of windshield wipers @ $16 per set = $64
Few jugs of windshield fluid @ $2 per jug = $20-30

So in 5 years of ownership, I've spent just around $600 for regular maintenance. I don't how it's possible to spend $6000 over the next 5 years. Even if I go out and look for the most expensive mechanics to service my car instead of doing DIY, it still wouldn't come close.

I've spent $0 on repairs.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30971 posts
1780 upvotes
Fernando Poo
I've noticed that my Kia maintenance is already costing me more than my Jeep maintenance did. However, after the warranty ran out, the Jeep expenses took off. The difference is between maintenance and repairs.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18850 posts
2122 upvotes
board123 wrote: So in 5 years of ownership, I've spent just around $600 for regular maintenance. I don't how it's possible to spend $6000 over the next 5 years. Even if I go out and look for the most expensive mechanics to service my car instead of doing DIY, it still wouldn't come close.

Keep in mind, the information presented is the whole Honda brand's average from a company that goes to their customers' homes to do the work.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9598 posts
1852 upvotes
Toronto
Repair costs would give a truer picture of costs of ownership. IMO

But would really show up some of those brands for how unreliable they really are.

Don't expect some of the manufacturers to be too cooperative on this one.
Dec 16, 2014
887 posts
475 upvotes
Easter Island
da fuq?

Kia soul has lower maintenance costs over 10 years than corolla, Camry and civic? That POS came out less than 7 years ago
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9309 posts
1355 upvotes
Montreal, QC
The data seems a lot more relevant (even if somewhat still questionable) when looking at the charts for car models specifically; it's not as dry as the brands chart. Brand chart seems like generalized hearsay from 20 years ago.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12316 posts
1867 upvotes
Kanata
board123 wrote: These numbers feel high. I've owned a brand new Civic for just a bit over 5 years now, and here are my DIY maintenance costs:

~7 oil changes @ $35 each for oil and filter = $245
1 transmission fluid change @ $30 for fluid
1 full brake job @ $250 for pads/rotors/fluid
4 sets of windshield wipers @ $16 per set = $64
Few jugs of windshield fluid @ $2 per jug = $20-30

So in 5 years of ownership, I've spent just around $600 for regular maintenance. I don't how it's possible to spend $6000 over the next 5 years. Even if I go out and look for the most expensive mechanics to service my car instead of doing DIY, it still wouldn't come close.

They are comparing as a brand, not specific to your Civic. It's possible the maintenance costs may be higher if you add in other vehicles and their costs.
I know for brake jobs, they are expensive if you get them done at the dealership. I took care of my wife's Tucson, but my friend was quoted over $1000 for the brakes, I spent around $300 for rotors/pads. Things like this really add up.
Regular maintenance every year is still like $300 or so, so that's another $1500 if you do that at the dealership.
In the end, it is possible to get up there if you pay for everything that the dealership wants you to do. Is it all required? No but not every car owner knows how to do this, or what is/isn't required. If they follow the maintenance schedule, plus the rotation of tires and swapping of winters to summers/vice versa, it could get to $6000 I imagine.
Aug 16, 2011
840 posts
250 upvotes
Kitchener
karakoram wrote: da fuq?

Kia soul has lower maintenance costs over 10 years than corolla, Camry and civic? That POS came out less than 7 years ago
My POS Soul is super cheap to maintain and repair... but yeah cant' compare 10 year costs when the car hasn't been out that long. Also the Soul has very good reliability ratings so....
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
1944 posts
332 upvotes
GTA
My future luxury car will be a Lexus :) Mercedes is off my list now.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
26643 posts
3554 upvotes
Montreal
imflying12 wrote: My future luxury car will be a Lexus :) Mercedes is off my list now.
Bragging about expensive repairs is part of the German luxury ownership experience. The "benz is in the shop" will be part of your daily vocabulary as you ride aorund in a B class loaner.