Wheels and Tires

Major inside tire wear problem ...rears....

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 10th, 2020 7:06 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
2663 posts
2797 upvotes
Toronto

Major inside tire wear problem ...rears....

my moms 2013 sportage has major inside rear tire wear and the rear tires seem to be on an outward bottom angle....meaning
top of tire points in more than the bottom....

this seems to be a camber problem....

is this an easy or cheap fix for a mechanic?

11 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35456 posts
9473 upvotes
Ottawa
First thing is to get a 4 wheel alignment at a proper shop with new equipment.
Be prepared for some sort of suspension adjustment and/or part replacement.
Cost, well, it can be as little as the cost of the alignment or, it can all depend on the parts required and the replacement labour for those parts.

No sense guessing because it can be so many things.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Oct 1, 2015
734 posts
912 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Camber really doesn't wear the tire down that much, it's most likely your toe that's out of wack causing extreme wear. How many kms on the tires? If they're original then it's time for a new set.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
14892 posts
15746 upvotes
Oakville
mxthor3 wrote: Camber really doesn't wear the tire down that much, it's most likely your toe that's out of wack causing extreme wear. How many kms on the tires? If they're original then it's time for a new set.
+1, toe wears tires. When you get the alignment, as the mechanic to set it to minimum toe within spec. Al Tech is the best in the Etobicoke area.

Does your mom carry a lot of heavy stuff in the back?
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13369 posts
8340 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
How so? It's a legit question. Uneven weight distribution can easily affect tire wear.
Some1rulez wrote: Kinda inappropriate question, no?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Oct 8, 2019
97 posts
52 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote: How so? It's a legit question. Uneven weight distribution can easily affect tire wear.
It was a joke.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
1609 posts
157 upvotes
Toronto
I experienced something similar with my 2011 Sportage, but it was the inside of the front tires that wore out quicker than normal. A wheel alignment didn’t solve the issue, it turned out to be the bushing on the lower control arm needed replacing.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5930 posts
598 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
A lot of cars have negative rear camber, especially for larger vehicles. They also aren't adjustable. So you have two options:

1) Replacing with adjustable camber arms - after market

2) continuously rotate tires
--
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3734 posts
3837 upvotes
GTA
Go for an alignment. Either they can adjust it back into spec, or something is worn out and they will find it.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
3511 posts
724 upvotes
Brampton
If the alignment is off, the shop may shim it to try and correct it without doing a proper check of the suspension. If they move the car and the alignment numbers change, then there is probably play in the suspension.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
2663 posts
2797 upvotes
Toronto
Some1rulez wrote: Kinda inappropriate question, no?
lol that was a good one....

No she doesnt , nothing more than average groceries and stuff every couple weeks...

its a 2013 with about 100k on it , low kms....

thanks for the advice everyone, I will take it into my mechanic for an alignment and it needs new tires on the rears anyway....