• Mar 8th, 2019 6:58 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9120 posts
2106 upvotes
London

Make sure to reset your phone before selling it

This is not the 1st time, I picked up an used LG G5 the other day, the seller just disabled his finger print but have everything intact, email, facebook, RBC bank app etc all working. if you don't know how to reset it, google is your friend.
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6908 posts
5813 upvotes
Burlington
prove your story. show me the rbc log in Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20129 posts
6341 upvotes
Toronto
konsensei wrote: prove your story. show me the rbc log in Face With Tears Of Joy
You'd be surprised at what people do. I was at a TD ATM once and the guy in front of me was taking a very long time. He was an old frail guy and seemed to be having trouble so I asked if he was having an issue. Pleased to have help, he handed me his card and gave me his PIN number and asked me to help him take out some money. I declined but showed him how to do it and told him never, EVER do that again with anyone else.
Oct 11, 2016
732 posts
285 upvotes
EugW wrote: You'd be surprised at what people do. I was at a TD ATM once and the guy in front of me was taking a very long time. He was an old frail guy and seemed to be having trouble so I asked if he was having an issue. Pleased to have help, he handed me his card and gave me his PIN number and asked me to help him take out some money. I declined but showed him how to do it and told him never, EVER do that again with anyone else.
You did a good deed and a very good thing..unfortunately some people out there are all alone and may have serious issues. They just don't have the help they need...it's sad sometimes.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6908 posts
5813 upvotes
Burlington
EugW wrote: You'd be surprised at what people do. I was at a TD ATM once and the guy in front of me was taking a very long time. He was an old frail guy and seemed to be having trouble so I asked if he was having an issue. Pleased to have help, he handed me his card and gave me his PIN number and asked me to help him take out some money. I declined but showed him how to do it and told him never, EVER do that again with anyone else.
how could you go against the old man's wishes. shame on youFace With Tears Of Joy.

elders are definitely too vulnerable. more so in a digital world like now.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
36572 posts
22726 upvotes
Center of Universe
The RBC app doesn't have auto login.
You either use fingerprint or password.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20129 posts
6341 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote: The RBC app doesn't have auto login.
You either use fingerprint or password.
True. However, the card number is retained, albeit with some of the numbers starred out. Maybe that's what the OP is talking about?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
36572 posts
22726 upvotes
Center of Universe
EugW wrote: True. However, the card number is retained, albeit with some of the numbers starred out. Maybe that's what the OP is talking about?
Possibly, as you can enable "remember card" feature.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28174 posts
13753 upvotes
Ssssh.

Half the fun of used things is recovering data.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19031 posts
2720 upvotes
Woodbridge
Not only for peace of mind but to gain the trade-in VALUE...

LOL

I'm losing out $143 on my boy's old iPhone 6S that doesn't respond to touch but turns on. Hence why he can't Factory Reset it.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
6558 posts
3005 upvotes
Debtario
death_hawk wrote: Ssssh.

Half the fun of used things is recovering data.
Truth. Still fondly recall finding a USB drive with somebody's entire life on it, no exaggeration. Plaintext site/bank/utility/work logins and passwords in txt files, serial numbers of things they own, insurance/vehicle docs,and lots more that would be an ID thief/blackmailers paradise. Thought about returning the drive to the individual (complete address and contacts backed up as well), but then I thought what if something happens and the finger points to me for having been in possession of this info. Just wiped the drive and kept it, a free 16GB drive back then was a nice find on its own.

My other pot of gold find was at university when someone left a computer at the curb before garbage day. Scooped it up and tried to diagnose why it had been thrown out, just looking at it the case looked ratty but inside it seemed someone invested in some recent upgrades, there was maybe $600+ in good parts that could be flipped. Turns out the drive had some corruption and windows wouldn't boot, ran chkdsk and got it booting. It was password protected, so I used the sticky keys trick to reset the admin password and got in. It belonged to some university TA and there were resumes and assignments, grad, vacation pics, and some nude and kinky pics too that I wouldn't have guessed she was into from looking at her. I wanted to go tell her to encrypt her stuff, but again kept my mouth shut. The stuff you can learn about people from their phones/computers :D
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1807 posts
1387 upvotes
Bay Area
This is why my phone is set to autowipe after 15 incorrect unlock attempts. :D

Although there's no critical info on the phone so it would mostly just be a monetary loss. The mission critical stuff I keep offline backups only.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5791 posts
2051 upvotes
Space
I had a guy sell me a BlackBerry many years ago. I was going through it and he had nudes and photos with his male partner. Definitely caught me off guard lol. Now I wipe the phone before opening anything. Can’t unsee what I saw.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3582 posts
1105 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
Solsearchin1 wrote: I had a guy sell me a BlackBerry many years ago. I was going through it and he had nudes and photos with his male partner. Definitely caught me off guard lol. Now I wipe the phone before opening anything. Can’t unsee what I saw.
At least the photos weren't HD back then.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9120 posts
2106 upvotes
London
konsensei wrote: prove your story. show me the rbc log in Face With Tears Of Joy
Reset it after I found out he did not reset it with all the apps. By the way, my point is one should reset their phone before selling it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5791 posts
2051 upvotes
Space
This was about 5 years ago. Sadly, they were.
EnyCe wrote: At least the photos weren't HD back then.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1807 posts
1387 upvotes
Bay Area
Solsearchin1 wrote: This was about 5 years ago. Sadly, they were.
At least they weren't 4K. Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3131 posts
2973 upvotes
Montreal
arkane wrote: At least they weren't 4K. Face With Tears Of Joy
Or V.R. with the smell-o-vision enabled.
:-)

As for auto-wipe after too many failed attempts, I assume there are no kids in the house...