None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga

making an android box

Windows works too, but I need to figure out how to simplify the user interface first if I use Windows.

I want to create a 'TV box' for the elderly people in my family to use. They can't read English, so I need to make this transition from Rogers/Bell as seamless as possible.

Spec-wise:
A snapdragon 800 with 2GB is more than sufficent power.

A dual core 1ghz armv7 is the absolute bare minimum. (In fact I think 2GB should be the minimum).

I'll likely be using this remote with either setup:
Http://m.ebay.ca/itm/141644411904

In android, depending on the specs I may or may not lock the device to use the TV app. In windows, I don't know if it's possible to just limit to one applications.

I also need to force these devices to use a VPN. Not sure if I want to that at the device level or at router level
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)
6 replies
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga
Windows: 2ghz 2nd gen pentium with 4GB ram and 32gb sad would be the minimum, if I choose a Windows box.

Note: I don't mind making my own boxes out of raspberry PiS or with used netbooks.
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1337 upvotes
There is an old wise saying: "Don't reinvent the wheel", simply just iconize your individual apps for easier use !
I have many seniors using Android boxes as media players and online content streaming. Forget about the Pi when there are existing Android boxes that do more for less !

You can download a lot of content for playback via USB drives or provide a link icon for a specific channel or within XBMC/Kodi.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga
EdT586 wrote: There is an old wise saying: "Don't reinvent the wheel", simply just iconize your individual apps for easier use !
I have many seniors using Android boxes as media players and online content streaming.

You can download a lot of content for playback via USB drives or provide a link icon for a specific channel or within XBMC/Kodi.
Yea, after seeing the reviews for the amazon fire stick, I realize a low powered Chinese clone will work.

Now its just remote support. USB remotes like the eBay one add a signifcant cost.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1337 upvotes
Dinujan wrote: Yea, after seeing the reviews for the amazon fire stick, I realize a low powered Chinese clone will work.

Now its just remote support. USB remotes like the eBay one add a signifcant cost.
A "clone"...LoL, the FireTV and Nexus Player boxes are the real clones, the Chinese boxes can't be clones if they invented it and came out 3 years before Amazon or Google !
In fact the big players like Intel are panicking when Chinese companies like Rockchip and AMLogic is chipping away at Intel's core business !

If you can't beat them, join them !

An air mouse is less than $15 and $10 on AliExpress and an quadcore MXQ Android box is less than $50.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Android-S ... 20f11a497b
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MXQ-Quad-Core-A ... 43dc6e59b1
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga
EdT586 wrote: A "clone"...LoL, the FireTV and Nexus Player boxes are the real clones, the Chinese boxes can't be clones if they invented it and came out 3 years before Amazon or Google !
In fact the big players like Intel are panicking when Chinese companies like Rockchip and AMLogic is chipping away at Intel's core business !

An air mouse is less than $15 and $10 on AliExpress and an quadcore MXQ Android box is less than $50.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Android-S ... 20f11a497b
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MXQ-Quad-Core-A ... 43dc6e59b1
Thanks for replying.

These air remotes seem like something elderly people would have trouble with. Even I find them a little dis-orentaing to use, and the buttons look cramped.

Something with arrows, power (sleep), OK, back and a power button for the TV would be all I need.

I think I can get away with an android stick. The Amazon Fire (comes with a remote) stick looks perfect, except it's ridiculously expensive in Canada.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1337 upvotes
Dinujan wrote: Thanks for replying.

These air remotes seem like something elderly people would have trouble with. Even I find them a little dis-orentaing to use, and the buttons look cramped.

Something with arrows, power (sleep), OK, back and a power button for the TV would be all I need.

I think I can get away with an android stick. The Amazon Fire (comes with a remote) stick looks perfect, except it's ridiculously expensive in Canada.
In any case you will still need one to set-up the box with, so far I have not had any seniors have a problem with that remote since they will only be pressing several buttons like the arrow and the Enter keys. Remember that an USB ports or hub will be the main criteria if you are going to be using it as a local media player to reduce on wear and tear.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)