• Oct 9th, 2019 12:56 pm
Tags:
[OP]
May 12, 2009
304 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto

Making appointment to see a doctor

A friend told me recently when she called for an appointment she was asked the reason for seeing the doctor. She asked if she should diagnose herself? She got mad and hung up. Is this common practice now to ask patients the reason for seeing the physician? This was at Albany clinic! I talked to few friends and they told me they are never asked why they want to see the doctor.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1542 posts
2146 upvotes
Doesn't sound unreasonable to ask why she would want to take up the doctor's time. If you don't want the doctor to know the reason for the visit how would they begin to know how to help you? They probably want to know how much time they should allow for the appt. If you are going in for a prescription it's going to take less time than if you've discovered you're pregnant.
When you see a wall, dig a tunnel.
Aug 17, 2018
697 posts
482 upvotes
serbianbelle wrote: A friend told me recently when she called for an appointment she was asked the reason for seeing the doctor. She asked if she should diagnose herself? She got mad and hung up. Is this common practice now to ask patients the reason for seeing the physician? This was at Albany clinic! I talked to few friends and they told me they are never asked why they want to see the doctor.
Both practices that I use always ask for a reason for the appointment. Pretty sure its common practice for them to prep or to possibly refer you or allocate time for scheduling.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2925 posts
2687 upvotes
Montreal
serbianbelle wrote: She asked if she should diagnose herself? .
I would not want this person as a patient or client.

It's a simple question. Not asking for diagnosis. She could say: I need a prescription refilled. Or an evaluation for my insurance. Or I have constant headaches. Or I tend to misinterpret things constantly and need an attitude adjustment.
Aug 8, 2019
343 posts
198 upvotes
Perhaps there is a communication / language issue?
Maybe the specific words used caused misunderstanding but asking for the reason seems to be with good intentions.
It is like asking for what type of appointment is needed.
Jan 12, 2016
35 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto, ON
^this. Happened to me once, the receptionist had a Chinese accent, so I switched to Mandarin and asked her why she'd like to know. She apologized and said she just wanted to know whether I needed a regular appointment or an annual physical which will take much longer.