Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4764 posts
2103 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON

Making a kegerator

We were recently given a used full size fridge that is going to replace the smaller fridge we had in there already for summer beverages. So my thoughts have turned to converting the small fridge to a kegerator. The fridge we have is a Hisense 6.3cu ft fridge. I understand that typically it isn’t great to have a freezer on top but if I understand correctly we can just do a door mounted tap or I could try and get the lines up and through still. I haven’t confirmed that last part is possible.

In terms of height I’d be okay as long as the defrost tray is removed. We’d be using short 1/4 kegs as my wife works for a brewery and that’s the kegs they use so that would be our primary beer. We’d have roughly 2” of clearance under the freezer portion from top of keg. Any concerns with that?

Any other thoughts or input from someone that had made one before? As well I could use a recommendation for the best place to grab a DIY kit. I’m not super familiar with the parts needed and don’t want to source it all myself. I’m confident in my ability to use and install a pre fab kit that had everything I need. Any recommendations??
13 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17779 posts
15234 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
You certainly are not the first guy to do this ...

There are lots of info on these projects on the web
Including how to videos

GOOGLE = turn a fridge into a kegerator

Here’s a good one from Popular Mechanics, that goes into much detail
Including choosing the right fridge
(Even which ones with a freezer that can be converted vs which ones cannot)
What parts to buy to do the keg set up
And other step by step info

https://www.popularmechanics.com/home/h ... tor-plans/
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4764 posts
2103 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
Thanks. I have read that article and some others. I’m mainly just looking for someone here that has done it that can point me in the direction of an affordable conversion kit they’ve personally used and can recommend.
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1657 upvotes
Clarington, ON
ChicoQuente wrote: Thanks. I have read that article and some others. I’m mainly just looking for someone here that has done it that can point me in the direction of an affordable conversion kit they’ve personally used and can recommend.
I have not done a conversion, although have done a fair bit of brewing.

Check out Ontario Beer Kegs as they stock most of what you need - in kit form.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
10438 posts
4546 upvotes
Does Costco still sell the prefabricated ones? I toyed with the idea of a conversion for an old fridge, but the sum of the all the required parts, the labour and reliability seemed to go out the window as the Costco one was very reasonably priced.
Images
  • IMG-20150427-WA0006~2.jpg
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17779 posts
15234 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Gutty96 wrote: Does Costco still sell the prefabricated ones? I toyed with the idea of a conversion for an old fridge, but the sum of the all the required parts, the labour and reliability seemed to go out the window as the Costco one was very reasonably priced.
Yup ... on the website
https://www.costco.ca/CatalogSearch?dep ... keg+cooler

They also sell doubles, if you have the space & are a serious beer connoisseur
https://www.costco.ca/CatalogSearch?dep ... +dispenser
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4764 posts
2103 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
KevinM56081 wrote: I have not done a conversion, although have done a fair bit of brewing.

Check out Ontario Beer Kegs as they stock most of what you need - in kit form.
Thanks for this. Lots of good options there and I will likely order tonight. Thanks for sharing.
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1657 upvotes
Clarington, ON
ChicoQuente wrote: Thanks for this. Lots of good options there and I will likely order tonight. Thanks for sharing.
Look carefully. So much variety. Shank lengths. Tap type. Keg couple type.
Apr 4, 2012
546 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto
Done a conversion about 10 years ago. You have to make your there is enough clearance for the coupler and hose. If you only have 2 inches of head room then you might have to find a low profile coupler that will work with your kegs.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4764 posts
2103 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
KevinM56081 wrote: Look carefully. So much variety. Shank lengths. Tap type. Keg couple type.
I see they’ve done some 10% off posts in the past. Do you have any idea if they are often? I’m just trying to decide if it is worth waiting for one or not. I subscribed to the newsletter hoping that might trigger a one time discount for sign up but no luck there.
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1657 upvotes
Clarington, ON
ChicoQuente wrote: I see they’ve done some 10% off posts in the past. Do you have any idea if they are often? I’m just trying to decide if it is worth waiting for one or not. I subscribed to the newsletter hoping that might trigger a one time discount for sign up but no luck there.
You might get something Father’s Day?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4764 posts
2103 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
nataliya64605 wrote: Done a conversion about 10 years ago. You have to make your there is enough clearance for the coupler and hose. If you only have 2 inches of head room then you might have to find a low profile coupler that will work with your kegs.
Thanks for this advice. I definitely would have missed this otherwise. I am going with a low profile. One thing I can’t seem to determine is the shank length. I measured the door of the fridge and it’s around 1-1/2” wide. How much do I need to add for either side of the door?
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1657 upvotes
Clarington, ON
ChicoQuente wrote: Thanks for this advice. I definitely would have missed this otherwise. I am going with a low profile. One thing I can’t seem to determine is the shank length. I measured the door of the fridge and it’s around 1-1/2” wide. How much do I need to add for either side of the door?
Honestly have no clue.
Apr 4, 2012
546 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto
ChicoQuente wrote: Thanks for this advice. I definitely would have missed this otherwise. I am going with a low profile. One thing I can’t seem to determine is the shank length. I measured the door of the fridge and it’s around 1-1/2” wide. How much do I need to add for either side of the door?

I had a tower, so cant speak from experience but it looks like 4 1/8 is the most common shank length https://www.kegconnection.com/content/S ... pdated.pdf