Home & Garden

Making my own "Scotts Turf Builder EZ seed" mix?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 17th, 2020 7:31 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2005
1903 posts
213 upvotes

Making my own "Scotts Turf Builder EZ seed" mix?

I have alot of bare patches on my lawn, and in some instances, areas that are completely dead. I plan on reseeding these areas, but when I looked at the cost of buying Scotts EZ Seed, the cost is quite high for what I need. The ingredients (top soil, sphagnum peat moss, and grass seed) look fairly simple to replicate following this link: http://homeguides.sfgate.com/make-lawn- ... 34776.html, and appear to cost less. I could probably skip the peat moss, but I think that's the key ingredient in the EZ Seed that makes it dummy proof since its keeps the grass seeds moist until germination.

Just wondering if anyone has grown grass successfully using peat moss? or should I not bother and go the traditional route of top soil and seed?
8 replies
Mar 16, 2008
222 posts
32 upvotes
GTA
I've been using this mixing technique this year and have had pretty good success for rebuilding my lawn. I'm using Premier's Triple Mix which contains peat moss. Sometimes its $2 a bag when on sale at Lowes but more often its 2 bags for $5.
https://www.lowes.ca/potting-mix/premie ... 01354.html

Just add some starter fertilizer and water frequently.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2005
1903 posts
213 upvotes
Anomaly_X wrote: I've been using this mixing technique this year and have had pretty good success for rebuilding my lawn. I'm using Premier's Triple Mix which contains peat moss. Sometimes its $2 a bag when on sale at Lowes but more often its 2 bags for $5.
https://www.lowes.ca/potting-mix/premie ... 01354.html

Just add some starter fertilizer and water frequently.
Awesome! Never looked into triple mix so didn't realize peat moss was already one of the ingredients. That'll save me the trouble of buying it separately. So if the triple mix is so cheap, I don't understand why others are buying the ez seed when its probably multiple times the cost..convenience I suppose
Jun 10, 2008
466 posts
334 upvotes
Halton Hills
Is it too late to triple mix and seed my lawn? I'm in the gta and it's pretty hot here now.
Apr 8, 2010
784 posts
432 upvotes
toronto
never too late but you'll need to water it like crazy. hard to keep it seeds moist to germinate when it's this hot out
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3505 posts
627 upvotes
Hamilton
thisischris wrote: Is it too late to triple mix and seed my lawn? I'm in the gta and it's pretty hot here now.
I would say its too late. I bought 3 yards of triple mix and top filled my lawn. Seeded and put down starter fertilizer. I have had to water it almost 3 times a day since just to keep it moist or it dries out like crazy. I probably have let it dry out too many times already despite my best efforts.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1110 posts
78 upvotes
Ajax
thisischris wrote: Is it too late to triple mix and seed my lawn? I'm in the gta and it's pretty hot here now.
Nope - I had an incident that required some repair.
A week ago I put seed and potting soil down (potting soil because I had it around) and I already have germination.

Grass really needs seed and soil contact. It's certainly warm enough for germination so you just have to pound the water to the seeded areas.
Oh boy, Buffalo testicles!
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
26662 posts
3571 upvotes
Montreal
shrimp compost and seed does it for me.
Jun 16, 2020
1 posts
I suggest that you don't skip the peat moss because it retain water much better than soil. I was looking for a mix and landed on this thread, Awesome!