Locked: Malakijoy's points program's tips

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2016 8:02 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
4846 posts
2019 upvotes
Ottawa
Has anyone ever been able to status match to BW Diamond select?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 21, 2007
6055 posts
853 upvotes
Markham
foreigncontent wrote: you get a certificate for a room, so i assume you can stay 2 in the room....
ace604 wrote: LOL, ya ... or even 3 or 4 in a room :D

It's not like a vacation all-inclusive resort or cruise package. It's just a cost to buy a certificate and a bunch of miles. You can use them as you wish. For 1 person, or a couple ... save the miles for later, use them on 4 cheap flights, 1 first class, etc, etc.
oh haha i thought it included flight and hotel and then also miles...but that makes more sense lol!
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3105 posts
1530 upvotes
I just wish there was a way to convert Amex MR to ANA Mileage Bank. They can do it with a US Amex (T_T)

YVR-JAPAN flights are only 40k miles return with ANA!
I'd love to write history... in advance.
AMEX Biz Plat 75K AGAIN! | Plat 60K | Biz Gold 40K | Gold 25K | SPG 20K
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4028 upvotes
BC
atomiton wrote: I just wish there was a way to convert Amex MR to ANA Mileage Bank. They can do it with a US Amex (T_T)

YVR-JAPAN flights are only 40k miles return with ANA!
You can convert Canadian MR to US MR at the current currency exchange rate. I haven't done this myself but I've read you can do this (once a year? by phoning up Amex MR department).

You need an MR account on both sides of the border first. This is my current plan for my 50k free US MR (to convert them back to 65k or so Canadian MR).

Not sure if you'd still think that's a good deal or not the other way, but it's possible ... 1344 Canadian MR -> 1000 US MR -> 1000 ANA.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Mar 4, 2007
430 posts
77 upvotes
Calgary
I know I read this somewhere on RFD but can't seem to find it. How do I merge my Amex MR points. I have one with Amex Gold and one with Biz Plat. Do i have to call in or convert them to another partner and then back somehow?
Temp. Banned
Nov 18, 2015
751 posts
166 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
Siralex wrote: I know I read this somewhere on RFD but can't seem to find it. How do I merge my Amex MR points. I have one with Amex Gold and one with Biz Plat. Do i have to call in or convert them to another partner and then back somehow?
Call or message them to merge.
Malakijoys points programs tips

Favourite credit cards I have-Amex Business Gold.Amex Business SPG
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3105 posts
1530 upvotes
ace604 wrote: You can convert Canadian MR to US MR at the current currency exchange rate. I haven't done this myself but I've read you can do this (once a year? by phoning up Amex MR department).

You need an MR account on both sides of the border first. This is my current plan for my 50k free US MR (to convert them back to 65k or so Canadian MR).

Not sure if you'd still think that's a good deal or not the other way, but it's possible ... 1344 Canadian MR -> 1000 US MR -> 1000 ANA.
Could be tempting for specific redemptions from NA to Japan on ANA metal... as those tickets can be 40,000 in Y or 75,000 in J ... so a ticket would cost ~54,000 (Y) 101,000 (J) Amex MR (CAD).

ANA only has ONE Canadian destination, mind you: YVR
I'd love to write history... in advance.
AMEX Biz Plat 75K AGAIN! | Plat 60K | Biz Gold 40K | Gold 25K | SPG 20K
Temp. Banned
Nov 18, 2015
751 posts
166 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
No more repeat Amex Business bonus or applicable only if you have another business card??
Do the terms mean that you can still get repeat bonus points if you currently dont hold a biz product....it doesnt say that the points are only for NEW clients??? Thoughts.....

To qualify for a Welcome Bonus of 30,000 points you must have at least $5,000 in net purchases posted to your account in your first 3 months of Card membership. Account must be in good standing. This offer is not applicable to holders of an existing American Express Small Business Card product. When we stop offering the Welcome Bonus, we reserve the right to accept applications but you will not be eligible for the Welcome Bonus

Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2016
1092 posts
402 upvotes
toronto
malakijoy wrote: No more repeat Amex Business bonus or applicable only if you have another business card??
Do the terms mean that you can still get repeat bonus points if you currently dont hold a biz product....it doesnt say that the points are only for NEW clients??? Thoughts.....

To qualify for a Welcome Bonus of 30,000 points you must have at least $5,000 in net purchases posted to your account in your first 3 months of Card membership. Account must be in good standing. This offer is not applicable to holders of an existing American Express Small Business Card product. When we stop offering the Welcome Bonus, we reserve the right to accept applications but you will not be eligible for the Welcome Bonus

same text on PLatinum small business, so i guess it means you can't switch them and get bonus on both
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2014
5443 posts
3919 upvotes
Richmond Hill
foreigncontent wrote: same text on PLatinum small business, so i guess it means you can't switch them and get bonus on both
Any impact on bonuses for first time holding Business Platinum, then self-referal to first time Business Gold?
Temp. Banned
Nov 18, 2015
751 posts
166 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
foreigncontent wrote: same text on PLatinum small business, so i guess it means you can't switch them and get bonus on both
Seems that way ie self referrals from one biz product to another

Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2016
1092 posts
402 upvotes
toronto
Elfwood wrote: Any impact on bonuses for first time holding Business Platinum, then self-referal to first time Business Gold?
Textually it reads you would not get the welcome bonus on the Business Gold. You still likely get the FYF, and possibly the referral bonus.
Banned
Sep 2, 2015
316 posts
32 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Question: If I would like to book a flight with Air Canada using points, and on the Aeroplan site, I only see Premium Economy listed on the date that I'd like to head out.. Would I be able to call in and pay the fee to acquire the economy seats instead (for almost half the points!)?
Temp. Banned
Nov 18, 2015
751 posts
166 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
leafs123 wrote: Question: If I would like to book a flight with Air Canada using points, and on the Aeroplan site, I only see Premium Economy listed on the date that I'd like to head out.. Would I be able to call in and pay the fee to acquire the economy seats instead (for almost half the points!)?
Only if the economy seats become avail.....you would have to cancel the PE booking,pay the fee and then re-book the econ seats after the points were added back.

Banned
Sep 2, 2015
316 posts
32 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
malakijoy wrote: Only if the economy seats become avail.....you would have to cancel the PE booking,pay the fee and then re-book the econ seats after the points were added back.
Ouch. Any chance that economy seats become available? I am looking to book for October of next year, so would you say it is likely that it becomes available between now and then if I check once a week?
Temp. Banned
Nov 18, 2015
751 posts
166 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
leafs123 wrote: Ouch. Any chance that economy seats become available? I am looking to book for October of next year, so would you say it is likely that it becomes available between now and then if I check once a week?
Yes,just keep looking(daily) as flight award seats are released every so often.....moreso if there are lots of available seats on the flight.Sometimes they offer a reduced market fare price which doesnt require much more than the regular rewards redemption.If you absolutely wanted to guarantee a rewards seat ,you could book the premium and cancel/rebook econ.if it becomes avail......but you'd have to be prepared to pay the $150(effective dec 2) cancel fee.

Banned
Sep 2, 2015
316 posts
32 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
malakijoy wrote: Yes,just keep looking(daily) as flight award seats are released every so often.....moreso if there are lots of available seats on the flight.Sometimes they offer a reduced market fare price which doesnt require much more than the regular rewards redemption.If you absolutely wanted to guarantee a rewards seat ,you could book the premium and cancel/rebook econ.if it becomes avail......but you'd have to be prepared to pay the $150(effective dec 2) cancel fee.
Awesome. Will think about it. Only issue of course is not having the points or the premium just yet. But soon.. Soon. I'll grab 'em soon.
Temp. Banned
Nov 18, 2015
751 posts
166 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
leafs123 wrote: Awesome. Will think about it. Only issue of course is not having the points or the premium just yet. But soon.. Soon. I'll grab 'em soon.
Another thing....you might want to book the flights as 2 one way bookings(you only need half the return flight's points to redeem) so that if you see one leg at econ avail you could book and only have to book the other leg at the PE redemption .I did this last year for flights to Japan.I was able to later cancel the PE booking and re-book at market fare(this is where aeroplan status becomes very useful bec.you get a discount on the market fare depending on your level).The cancelation fee then was $90 but well worth the savings in points required!

Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
7000 posts
7627 upvotes
leafs123 wrote: Question: If I would like to book a flight with Air Canada using points, and on the Aeroplan site, I only see Premium Economy listed on the date that I'd like to head out.. Would I be able to call in and pay the fee to acquire the economy seats instead (for almost half the points!)?
I think it would be useful to know if you are you looking for domestic seats. If not, then you're not restricted to flying on AC metal (and associated high scam fees), plus then you'd have other options on other no/low fee carriers, albeit maybe not non-stop flights.
*** My private mail inbox is full. Cannot receive new messages. ***
Countdown - 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0. Done@6603. 2022-07-26 3:17pm ET.
Banned
Sep 2, 2015
316 posts
32 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
malakijoy wrote: Another thing....you might want to book the flights as 2 one way bookings(you only need half the return flight's points to redeem) so that if you see one leg at econ avail you could book and only have to book the other leg at the PE redemption .I did this last year for flights to Japan.I was able to later cancel the PE booking and re-book at market fare(this is where aeroplan status becomes very useful bec.you get a discount on the market fare depending on your level).The cancelation fee then was $90 but well worth the savings in points required!
Yeah I was planning on doing two one way trips - just because I will be returning from Tokyo so it only makes sense. Thanks again for your help. I'll be checking daily - Not quite ready to book and fully commit to a date, but I will for sure by the new year.