Shopping Discussion

Locked: Mall stores that have blaring music - Am I the only one who finds it annoying?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2010 11:15 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Nov 12, 2010
238 posts
11 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Mall stores that have blaring music - Am I the only one who finds it annoying?

Not only is it annoying but its so lame when you go in or when you call and have to talk extra loud because the workers cant hear you due to the cranked music. Seriously what the hell? Its a clothing store not a night club. Turn it down :evil:
12 replies
Apr 12, 2009
85 posts
8 upvotes
Seconded.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3909 posts
2338 upvotes
Ottawa
It's to keep people more awake and energized to stay in the store longer.
Jan 28, 2006
291 posts
4 upvotes
I also hate the ones that spray ALOT of their house brand colgne or perfume or whatever that is and you can smell it all the way outside the store. :confused:
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15215 posts
4405 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I used to play loud music all the time, when I worked in a clothing store, especially on Thursday nights :) . I even had the occasional request, since we were one of the few places that played techno, including in the clubs (this was early 90s). Of course, I didn't play so loud that everyone had to shout, since we have to communicate with the customers in order to get them to buy stuff :D .

Funny thing ... I had a customer do a return, and one of the reasons she bought the item in the first place was because she was caught up in the party atmosphere of the store (she specifically said 'music'). Another customer at the till once apologized for being slow because: "Sorry, I was listening to the music. It's really good." We had a big laugh afterwards, since I was playing trance. When a bigwig supervisor from HQ came into the store, she said that she could tell this (the store) was the place to be.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
219 upvotes
Surrey
KoedbyTyson wrote: Not only is it annoying but its so lame when you go in or when you call and have to talk extra loud because the workers cant hear you due to the cranked music. Seriously what the hell? Its a clothing store not a night club. Turn it down :evil:

I'm too old to even want to go into those stores. :lol:
Dec 9, 2010
1 posts
B.C
Id hate to have to work somewhere with crappy music blaring, especially at christmas!! It must be hell listening to it all day every day.
Mar 17, 2009
203 posts
98 upvotes
Mississauga
I do agree that music of any kind in a store is annoying to me (including Christmas music)....

...but I do understand the stores' point of view. They want to set a mood in their stores. Department stores will have Christmas music on to get people in the holiday-buying spirit. Youth-oriented stores will blare loud rock/techno/pop etc to cater to their crowd. It is all part of marketing, like it or not.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
hahaha I remember a few years ago Aldo had the music blaring (well they usually do anyway) and I was with a friend. The sales associate came up to us and said 'hey hows it going' and I replied loudly 'what!??' Then he went and turned the music down.

I dont go to any stores that have blaring music like young adult clothing stores anymore. I rarely find myself going to malls anymore...I hate malls.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2007
3043 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
I'm glad the OP brought this up, I find it annoying too.
Akitakara wrote: It's to keep people more awake and energized to stay in the store longer.
whenever I go into a loud store, especially with friends, it often feels way too stressful, and someone will always say, "i'm going to wait outside, it's too loud", and most of us will usually follow.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
smartfood wrote: whenever I go into a loud store, especially with friends, it often feels way too stressful, and someone will always say, "i'm going to wait outside, it's too loud", and most of us will usually follow.
Really? It makes me want to order drinks at the checkout counter!!

Then when there is no alcohol, then it becomes stressful.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11320 posts
3870 upvotes
Nowhere
I don't go in stores that blare loud music as I find it extremely annoying and stressful. I also hate stores that have alarms go off and no one makes any effort to turn them off. I had this happen several times at Staples with a piercing alarm so I just left. On the way out, I yelled over at the cashier at the customer service desk, "Nice way to make customers feel welcome by making them go deaf. Do you think someone could turn that alarm off?"

I also hate when you are in stores like Best Buy etc. and people feel the need to turn every stereo up full blast.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)