Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Mandarin

FREE Buffet at Mandarin for Canadian Citizens on July 1! (Ontario)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2019 7:57 pm
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10213 posts
11277 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote: Better yet, force business owners to pay their staff a fair wage and eliminate tipping culture

Tipping culture is stupid and doesn't exist in most places outside of the Americas.
Look, you won't find somebody more interest in seeing disappear as myself. One of the most amazing aspects of visiting Europe or Japan was no tipping (it's actually insulting to tip in Japan).

That said, change is slow, and as far as I can see, not happening.

So, TODAY, we have a tipping culture in NA, TODAY we have people being paid under the assumption they will be tipped, so TODAY PLEASE TIP.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
3580 posts
2985 upvotes
Markham
ggs wrote: obligatory
What is hilarious is the one young woman/girl, mid-to-upper right corner just holding her plate and waiting for her turn patiently.

Freedom Mobile $40/20GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
8018 posts
1780 upvotes
Toronto
repatch wrote: Look, you won't find somebody more interest in seeing disappear as myself. One of the most amazing aspects of visiting Europe or Japan was no tipping (it's actually insulting to tip in Japan).

That said, change is slow, and as far as I can see, not happening.

So, TODAY, we have a tipping culture in NA, TODAY we have people being paid under the assumption they will be tipped, so TODAY PLEASE TIP.
I would be just careful to assume that all tips in NA are being divided among the servers (or even kitchen staff).
Some restaurant owners actually keep a portion (in some cases, all) of the tip.

If the service was great, I would just ask the server upfront how tips are divided, and tip based on it.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2006
3788 posts
6269 upvotes
er34er34 wrote: Food and drinks are free, but toilet paper is $1 a sheet on July 1st. No outside paper allowed either.
Who says you have to use just toilet paper? Napkins are free and plentiful in the dining area. Just grab a handful before you head to the bathroom.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2006
3788 posts
6269 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote: Better yet, force business owners to pay their staff a fair wage and eliminate tipping culture

Tipping culture is stupid and doesn't exist in most places outside of the Americas.
Ha. That's funny. It's a known fact that there are a number of authentic chinese restaurants across the GTA that their staff are being paid well below minimum wage and under the table. Alot of them are from overseas and don't know their basic labour rights. It comes with the territory.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7851 posts
8801 upvotes
Allen84 wrote: Ha. That's funny. It's a known fact that there are a number of authentic chinese restaurants across the GTA that their staff are being paid well below minimum wage and under the table. Alot of them are from overseas and don't know their basic labour rights. It comes with the territory.
You think those same restaurants you mention distribute the tips fairly? I'd be willing to bet that those owners are pocketing a good chunk for themselves.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2006
3788 posts
6269 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote: You think those same restaurants you mention distribute the tips fairly? I'd be willing to bet that those owners are pocketing a good chunk for themselves.
Yup. I can see that happening. These restaurants turn a nice profit for the owner, a lot cash sales to evade taxes, not bound to a supplier for their ingredients to pay high prices. Since some staff is being paid under the table, the owner won't have to pay certain taxes and deductions on the payroll.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2008
1944 posts
14270 upvotes
They're not barring non-Canadians from eating there. It's a special promotion. Kinda like getting a free meal on your birthday.
LadyB
Received a kidney transplant September 1, 2018. Be a donor
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2008
1944 posts
14270 upvotes
badOne wrote: RFD alone has 220 viewing this. That's already too long of a line
I stayed for the comments :)
LadyB
Received a kidney transplant September 1, 2018. Be a donor
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9474 posts
2650 upvotes
Make sure to bring your no tipping excuse letter...

Even if your budget was zero.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1604 posts
977 upvotes
denhammer wrote: Servers often make less than minimum wage.
This is going way off on a tangent but; servers at Mandarin are not being paid less than minimum wage
(Act food servers in general just had their min pay rate raised as well)

If the job sucks then quit and find a better job
Koodo $45 60GB 5G + Unlimited Long Distance Perk (28 Countries)
Public $120 180GB + Canada Wide (90 Day plan; less rewards = $20 per month)
Freedom $35 North America Wide + 20GB + 1GB Roaming
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1604 posts
977 upvotes
repatch wrote: Umm, this is Canada, you tip, even at a buffet.

Why? Because your servers and other wait staff are paid the same scratch servers are paid at a-la-carte restaurants. And being a buffet I'd argue their workload is higher. Having to continuously clear your table of those little plates as people go back again and again?

Tip you wait staff, or move to a country that doesn't tip.
I don't tip at any buffet
Its crazy to even try to justify it

They are (at best) busboys to clear the tables and fill a glass of water
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1604 posts
977 upvotes
mcg wrote: You're embarrassing yourself bro. Lol
If you think so
People on RFD jump through hoops to save 5% off something

Now you are telling me you pay 20% more than I do for the same meal at the same restaurant
All that means is I get to eat out more often than you in my life
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1604 posts
977 upvotes
zebracobra007 wrote: This might cause issues for the business. You cannot discriminate people living within Canada, citizen or no citizen.
False
Lots of places do this

Even our Universities bill non Canadian citizens far more than Canadian citizens
Real Estate is the same as well
If large scale can bilk foreigners out of thousands in extras I am sure Mandarin is fine to do so
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10213 posts
11277 upvotes
kav2001c wrote: I don't tip at any buffet
Its crazy to even try to justify it

They are (at best) busboys to clear the tables and fill a glass of water
OK, and what does a server at an a-la-carte restaurant do to warrant getting the tip? Listen to what you want and enter it into the computer system?

The meal is often brought by someone other then your server in 'classier' restaurants.

Are you giving them a tip because they came by and asked if your meal was OK?

Or was it because they sold you on a glass of wine from a winery you've never heard?

Servers at buffets IMHO work HARDER, the small plates and multiple helpings make keeping the tables clear much more of a challenge.

In the end it doesn't matter, this is Canada, in Canada tipping is expected. If you don't like it, then eat somewhere where tipping isn't expected (i.e. McDonalds, or your kitchen table).
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1604 posts
977 upvotes
Allen84 wrote: Ha. That's funny. It's a known fact that there are a number of authentic chinese restaurants across the GTA that their staff are being paid well below minimum wage and under the table. Alot of them are from overseas and don't know their basic labour rights. It comes with the territory.
Most of those places the owners keep 100% of the tips as well
But then again if you are supporting a place that has 12 hour workdays for $4 an hour I guessing human rights is not a big deal
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1604 posts
977 upvotes
repatch wrote:
Are you giving them a tip because they came by and asked if your meal was OK?

Or was it because they sold you on a glass of wine from a winery you've never heard?

Servers at buffets IMHO work HARDER, the small plates and multiple helpings make keeping the tables clear much more of a challenge.

In the end it doesn't matter, this is Canada, in Canada tipping is expected. If you don't like it, then eat somewhere where tipping isn't expected (i.e. McDonalds, or your kitchen table).
The *only* time I tip is for service
So yeah I would say 80% of the servers I met in my life walked away with a big fat zero
Last edited by MrDisco on Jun 26th, 2019 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language
Jul 30, 2018
28 posts
30 upvotes
FoMoHotDeals wrote: It wasn't that bad? You got there at 10:30 and ate around 12:30, what's the min hourly wage again? was it worth your time?
Lol we were university students hanging out over the summer. Lighten up!
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
2660 posts
1269 upvotes
ladyb wrote: They're not barring non-Canadians from eating there. It's a special promotion. Kinda like getting a free meal on your birthday.
No, it isn't. You do not have to line up that long for a free meal on your bday. You're doing them a favor. It's free advertising for them.