Expired Hot Deals

[Mandarin] FREE Buffet at Mandarin for Canadian Citizens on July 1! (Ontario)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2019 7:57 pm
Mar 14, 2018
236 posts
145 upvotes
consumer be me wrote:
Jul 1st, 2019 12:34 pm
I wouldn’t judge my family members over something trivial like this lol, I love my family members and respect their decisions.. too bad you don’t do the same for yours.. that’s disappointing
I love my family/friends too much, I would rather take them out and pay for their meals, instead of watching them wait in line for free food. And if you're waiting in line for free food then most likely you won't do the same for yours...that's disappointing.
Last edited by Boondoggler on Jul 1st, 2019 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
May 4, 2019
25 posts
60 upvotes
sqrl wrote:
Jul 1st, 2019 12:55 pm
How course it's possible.

The promo is about giving a free meal to a Canadian citizen, it doesn't exclude anyone from eating at Mandarin, you just have to pay if you're not a citizen.
And also, you have to lineup. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

I’m serving my last meal, enjoy your line and have a great Canada Day!
Images
  • D64F03E0-DC3A-4E03-ACEB-7C0399A0C9C4.jpeg
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
20557 posts
142165 upvotes
GTA
Not one to line up for hours for things (whether it be Apple products, Raptors merch, concert tickets, etc.), but I still wouldn't judge the people who are lining up - different strokes for different folks. There could be some people for whom a meal out like this is hard to come by (and imagine how quickly the costs will add up for a larger family). Then there are those who simply enjoy the camaraderie of being in a lineup together (even the people who would line up overnight for Apple products have said this). And in this day and age of instant-everything via the internet, I still know of people who lineup for Boxing Day (again, not my thing, but I don't judge them for it).

You wouldn't laugh at people lining up for a free Thanksgiving dinner or those free turkeys that they would give away at Honest Ed's, because you figure they if they are doing that, there is a reason - they need it. It may not be as 'visible' in this case because it is spread across so many locations (and there are so many more people), but I am sure there are also many people going to this event because they also need it, so I can't, in good conscience, look down on them for how they choose to spend their Canada Day.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
2936 posts
1716 upvotes
GTA
ar2020 wrote: Mississauga heartland location?
There is no Heartland location. There is 1 on Matheson and Hurontario, but that's like 3 km away, and 1 on Winston Churchill and Dundas.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
4361 posts
1449 upvotes
Tommy74 wrote:
Jul 1st, 2019 1:05 pm
There is no Heartland location. There is 1 on Matheson and Hurontario, but that's like 3 km away, and 1 on Winston Churchill and Dundas.
Okay yes I meant Matheson.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
2936 posts
1716 upvotes
GTA
consumer be me wrote: Your attitude is sad and unnecessary, it’s Canada Day! No need to be negative !
Yep, I am the weird one. I celebrate Canada day on the beautiful lake, with cold Canadian brew, local Canadian pork chops plus my family and some friends. Nothing close to sitting for hours on concrete sidewalk, pose for strangers taking pictures of long line ups, and wait till they throw me some Chinese "wanna be" deep fried delicious goodies. I guess I am missing out big time. Happy sidewalk camp day.
Jan 26, 2017
551 posts
527 upvotes
Finished!
They kicked us out after 1 hour.
Had 12 plates. 5 drinks.
Restaurant did NOT skimp in quality or quantity of food.
Lineups were quick and civil.
I bet ALOTTTTTTTTT of RFDers just sitting home and reading this thread are having second thoughts...
May 4, 2019
25 posts
60 upvotes
It’s my first time to get a free buffet in Mandarin. I’d like to let my kids know and understand why Mandarin is offering the free buffet, also I want them to do the same thing when they have their own business in the future. I think it’s better than to donate money to those charities as you never know where the money goes. When people are lining up here, you can see and feel the happiness.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2014
1754 posts
1784 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Tommy74 wrote:
Jul 1st, 2019 11:01 am
Those people lining up are sad, really sad. Not different than beggers on 403 exits.
Just watched the line interviews and camera gliding along the lines.

Those people looked anything BUT sad. They were laughing, cheering, waving, wishing happy canada day, all sang the national anthem, and were thanking Canada.

To all you people criticizing them, calling them out as sad people, time wasters, beggars, and no-lives, screw you. There were families having a great time and enjoying themselves, you're all not/nowhere high and mighty to disparage or embarrass them on how they choose to spend their happiness? I want to see your perfect robotic precise schedule of 8hrs sleep, 8hrs work, 6hrs working out, 2hrs eating, because everything else is just time wasting, right?

Frankly, you're the sad one.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2009
1220 posts
1065 upvotes
bLuPhYrE wrote:
Jul 1st, 2019 12:55 pm
rough math obviously,

29.99 per person on holidays, lets assume you're going to do 800 guests per location for the day (which is probably an underestimate) with 29 locations

that works out to $695,768 thats just lost revenue. Then you factor in the labor and overhead/breakage for the day. Maybe we're looking at 750k?

How much is national television advertising ? They got countless clicks, likes, views, tweets, tv news in primetime stories. They will be getting more today. Clearly they are taking a $ hit but the benefit and *gasp* just doing something nice far outweighs any $ loss.
Mar 9, 2014
812 posts
380 upvotes
Ottawa
Bebo123 wrote:
Jul 1st, 2019 1:14 pm
Finished!
Had 12 plates. 5 drinks.
I bet ALOTTTTTTTTT of RFDers just sitting home and reading this thread are having second thoughts...
What was the cotton candy status on he way out?
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2009
1220 posts
1065 upvotes
Bebo123 wrote:
Jul 1st, 2019 1:14 pm
Finished!
Had 12 plates. 5 drinks.
@Mr_Fanta is regretting it for sure! Great to hear you enjoyed a nice meal on Canada Day!
Jan 20, 2017
2 posts
4 upvotes
Just went and tried to stand in line. Totally not worth the wait!
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2014
1754 posts
1784 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Tommy74 wrote:
Jul 1st, 2019 1:13 pm
Yep, I am the weird one. I celebrate Canada day on the beautiful lake, with cold Canadian brew, local Canadian pork chops plus my family and some friends. Nothing close to sitting for hours on concrete sidewalk, pose for strangers taking pictures of long line ups, and wait till they throw me some Chinese "wanna be" deep fried delicious goodies. I guess I am missing out big time. Happy sidewalk camp day.
Why are you so angry at how people choose to spend their time to be happy and enjoy their time?

For some guy spending "Canada day on the beautiful lake, with cold Canadian brew, local Canadian pork chops plus my family and some friends", you sure are spending a lot of time online hating on families, friends, and children