Expired Hot Deals

[Mandarin] FREE Buffet at Mandarin for Canadian Citizens on July 1! (Ontario)

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2019 7:57 pm
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 19, 2006
7030 posts
2250 upvotes
Toronto
turbine wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2019 1:56 am
Frankly I'm disappointed at the lack of sizzle in this thread. The banter has been weak. Very few videos. And the photos didn't fully capture the degree of destitution I was expecting.
Lol go in five years and take pics and videos for us Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat
Member
Apr 14, 2006
216 posts
Markham
kav2001c wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2019 3:39 am
$76??? Where did you pull that number from?

$30 per meal (minimum, some locations charge more, eg Brampton)
x2 = $60
+ HST = $67.80

There is no way a drink costs less than $2 (even if doing pop, alcohol is way more)
x2 = $4 + HST = $4.52

$67.80 + $4.52 = $72.32
So you leave the server a $3.68 tip lol
Might as well have left nothing, I am sure they appreciated your generosity
It's a pretty simple calculation that she/he did: $60 * 1.28 (13% HST and 15% pre-tax tip) = $76.80 - so they didn't include the value of the drink, that wasn't the point of the post. They just said $76 to make their point on a quick and simple calculation. And that most people don't make that much in an hour, let alone 45 minutes.
kav2001c wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2019 3:39 am
Also many people will make more than $76 per hour; heck the *average* salary for my home city is over 100K per year, which is hardly "rich" by any stretch of the imagination
$76 per hour * 7 hours per day = $532 per day
$532 * 5 work days = $2660 per week
$2660 * 52 weeks per year = $138K annual salary

So yeah alot of people are making way more than $76 per hour (as above number does not even factor in our annual bonuses or holiday pay or benefits)
The way you say this seems to suggest that, in your opinion, it's common for people to make more than $76/hr?? Who are you to criticize someone for suggesting that they and many others make less than $76/hr ... that's quite elitist. You're the one who's not really aware of reality. The Ontario median total income is like $34k, even the average is only like $48k. In fact, less than 10% of income-earning individuals in Ontario earn more than $100k annually. Just because you're in that upper 10% makes you feel like you need to criticize everyone else?

It's like trying to argue there are "many" people who make more than $1 million per year - while true in absolute numbers, that doesn't quite demonstrate your understanding of the reality among our actual population.
kav2001c wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2019 3:39 am
You also made a huge mistake in that your $76 was the bill for TWO people
I doubt there is any family above the poverty line that can't pull in a combined salary of $76 per hour
You've never heard of someone treating someone else to a meal? Not everybody here forces their guest to pay for their own meal. So for the person to say that they are saving $76 because they alone would otherwise have paid for the meal for both people is actually fairly normal. "Many" people treat their guest to a meal. Even if you're trying to argue that technically both people "earned" their meal by waiting - you're missing the point entirely. Even with your argument, $76/2*7*5*52 = $69,160. This number is still greater than both the median and the average individual total income in Ontario.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1372 posts
661 upvotes
sushidono wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 7:16 pm
In fact, less than 10% of income-earning individuals in Ontario earn more than $100k annually. Just because you're in that upper 10% makes you feel like you need to criticize everyone else?

It's like trying to argue there are "many" people who make more than $1 million per year - while true in absolute numbers, that doesn't quite demonstrate your understanding of the reality among our actual population.
Not sure why you necro a dead post but problem with your 10% of Ontario residents being dirt poor is you are including the ENTIRE province; that means places where people are pretty much broke and houses are free

A 34K annual salary basically means the person is uneducated and quite probably underemployed
Even Walmart pays more than that and that would be a horrible career choice
Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 8GB + 1000 Intl LD
Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $12 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $19 per Month
Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming

Top