Parenting & Family

Mandarin school for toddlers in Toronto?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2019 7:46 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16160 posts
3321 upvotes
Toronto

Mandarin school for toddlers in Toronto?

I'm ethnically Chinese but was born in Canada. I speak some Mandarin, but honestly I'm more comfortable in English. My wife is not Chinese, and doesn't speak a word of Chinese. Hence, our household is English, and that's what the kids speak. We live in Scarborough and would like our almost 3 year-old to start taking weekend Mandarin classes. Maybe a couple of hours for a class on a Saturday each week.

What are some recommended weekend Mandarin schools in Toronto? East side is preferred, but central or north is OK too.

I know there are a few schools around that offer this, but have no idea which ones are good.
27 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2006
1146 posts
168 upvotes
GTA
When I was a kid, my parents signed me up for Chinese school (Cantonese-based) at Marilake (name of the organization) which leverages space at ACI (midland/Sheppard) on Saturdays. They're a bit more comprehensive (in terms of curriculum) than the ones offered by the school board, but not sure what the Mandarin schooling is like.

Pretty sure they're still around as I see crazy traffic over there on Saturday mornings/afternoons.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23926 posts
1289 upvotes
Markham, ON
http://www.yips.com/chi

just know that you will need to help your child during the week. If you're wife can't help...that means your child will rely on you 100%. I.e. helping to read, write, etc.

My wife deals with all chinese related homework....and sometimes can be very overwelming.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16160 posts
3321 upvotes
Toronto
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Jul 14th, 2015 2:02 pm

just know that you will need to help your child during the week. If you're wife can't help...that means your child will rely on you 100%. I.e. helping to read, write, etc.

My wife deals with all chinese related homework....and sometimes can be very overwelming.
Thanks for the Yips suggestion. However, it looks like they begin at kindergarten. My kid isn't even 3 yet. They do have a musical one for kids that age, but it is Cantonese. I'm strictly looking at Mandarin. Nobody in my extended family speaks Cantonese. All Mandarin.
sedated_xtc wrote:
Jul 14th, 2015 1:25 pm
When I was a kid, my parents signed me up for Chinese school (Cantonese-based) at Marilake (name of the organization) which leverages space at ACI (midland/Sheppard) on Saturdays. They're a bit more comprehensive (in terms of curriculum) than the ones offered by the school board, but not sure what the Mandarin schooling is like.

Pretty sure they're still around as I see crazy traffic over there on Saturday mornings/afternoons.
I found the Marilake site here:

http://www.marilakeschool.ca/courses.htm

Unfortunately, the class description is in Chinese. :D

http://www.marilakeschool.ca/Chinese%20School.htm

Thus, I'm wondering if they may cater more to families which already speak some Chinese at home.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16498 posts
2162 upvotes
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Jul 14th, 2015 2:02 pm
Compared to non-Chinese daycare, Yips is very dirty. But it's really the only Chinese option in York Region. Yips has a daycare program for younger children: http://www.yips.com/school. Starting age is around 2 years old.

The Principal also has an attitude problem (i.e. stereotypical authoritarian Chinese attitude) - a few others have complained about her mannerisms on here. But if you can get over those issues it maybe an OK school for your child. A few friends send their children here and were happy with their decision.

We chose another non-Chinese school.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16160 posts
3321 upvotes
Toronto
Note: We already have a daycare. We're not looking for a regular daycare or pre-school. We just want an hour or two of Chinese language instruction on the weekends.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
725 upvotes
Does your local school have anything. TDSB has Mandarin programs for kids in similar situations. Our kids started going in JK....ours were one of the few that had no heritage link...but they loved it... Were so go g many songs etc...
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2003
1990 posts
66 upvotes
GTA
TDSB and TCDSB both offer international language classes for schoolage students (JK to Grade 12). The classes are free, but they might charge a small fee of $10-$20 per year for class materia. Most of those classes are on weekend, 2.5 hours classroom instruction per week. Mandarin is one of the most popular classes they offered. Classes are offered at numerous locations throughout the city.

Go to TDSB or TCDSB website to find a school that is close to your home.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23926 posts
1289 upvotes
Markham, ON
as a parent that has one child go through 4 years of cantonese...2 hrs per week equals to the ability to listen in Cantonese....writing and speaking comprehension will be very difficult.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1019 posts
100 upvotes
Maple
Some unsolicited opinion - as a child who went to Saturday Chinese school for many years... you might want to save your time and maybe just buy some songs/shows for your child to watch. If you don't use it, you lose it. Going to school for a few hours on the weekend probably won't do much except just expose your child to the tones of the language. You'll get the same effect watching some Mandarin cartoons with your child on a Saturday morning, and it'll give you some bonding time together.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
725 upvotes
elmst200 wrote:
Jul 16th, 2015 10:40 am
TDSB and TCDSB both offer international language classes for schoolage students (JK to Grade 12). The classes are free, but they might charge a small fee of $10-$20 per year for class materia. Most of those classes are on weekend, 2.5 hours classroom instruction per week. Mandarin is one of the most popular classes they offered. Classes are offered at numerous locations throughout the city.

Ours was Wednesday after school from 330 until 600
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
15992 posts
374 upvotes
I used to have Mandarin classes at Terry Fox PS during Saturdays (9-12). You can check that out.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16160 posts
3321 upvotes
Toronto
elmst200 wrote:
Jul 16th, 2015 10:40 am

OK, I will have a look. The TDSB website sure doesn't make it easy to find these programs though. They don't list anything about Mandarin on the main pages. When I look in the JK section, there is also nothing there. Also, JK starts at 4, and I wanted to start her at 3, but the pre-school section also lists nothing.

I guess I will call them.
lilnymphie wrote:
Jul 16th, 2015 1:57 pm
Some unsolicited opinion - as a child who went to Saturday Chinese school for many years... you might want to save your time and maybe just buy some songs/shows for your child to watch. If you don't use it, you lose it. Going to school for a few hours on the weekend probably won't do much except just expose your child to the tones of the language. You'll get the same effect watching some Mandarin cartoons with your child on a Saturday morning, and it'll give you some bonding time together.
I'd have to disagree with that. Cartoons are fine, but aren't a substitute for classroom teaching and real-world interaction.
dragon_drift wrote:
Jul 18th, 2015 5:40 pm
I used to have Mandarin classes at Terry Fox PS during Saturdays (9-12). You can check that out.
I can't seem to find anything on their website. I'll check with the TDSB though.
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Jul 16th, 2015 10:44 am
as a parent that has one child go through 4 years of cantonese...2 hrs per week equals to the ability to listen in Cantonese....writing and speaking comprehension will be very difficult.
That seems reasonable. I wasn't expecting much more than that.