Food & Drink

Mandarin Small Eats

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2020 7:14 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8575 posts
2347 upvotes
Mississauga

Mandarin Small Eats

Has anyone tried the new Mandarin small eats dine in menu?

Menu online? I tried couldn't find one.
66 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
18736 posts
5686 upvotes
Toronto
antigua1999 wrote: Has anyone tried the new Mandarin small eats dine in menu?

Menu online? I tried couldn't find one.
Here, with no prices, (lol) are the new small eats choices:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Newbie
May 4, 2018
76 posts
37 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Never tried it, but friend told me prices ranged from $1 to $5.99 for individual dishes. Could end up more expensive than pre covid buffet, but it depends on how much one consumes i guess.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
18736 posts
5686 upvotes
Toronto
blackcoffeetings wrote: Never tried it, but friend told me prices ranged from $1 to $5.99 for individual dishes. Could end up more expensive than pre covid buffet, but it depends on how much one consumes i guess.
Incorrect.
The highest price is $4.99. The lowest is $1.99. Their biggest mistake is not showing prices in the above video. (to help one get a rough idea of what they might be spending)
It makes me wonder if it's cheaper to just order delivery instead, maybe?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 20, 2006
2529 posts
2814 upvotes
This might be a good deal if you go with around 5 people or more. As there is a more likelihood, a few people at the table will eat less than the others, making up the difference in cost in value of what you're eating than paying AYCE price.

- 1 or 2 people = ripoff
- 3 or 4 people = slight ripoff to break even
- 5+ people = might be worth it

- A group of overweight friends/family = Major ripoff
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
18736 posts
5686 upvotes
Toronto
Allen84 wrote: This might be a good deal if you go with around 5 people or more. As there is a more likelihood, a few people at the table will eat less than the others, making up the difference in cost in value of what you're eating than paying AYCE price.

- 1 or 2 people = ripoff
- 3 or 4 people = slight ripoff to break even
- 5+ people = might be worth it

- A group of overweight friends/family = Major ripoff
I can tell you right now it's $3.99 for only 3 chicken balls. Each person wanting a soup? $2.99 for each bowl of soup.
If you have a group of 6, that's one chicken ball each @ $7.98. $1.33 just for a chicken ball???
Maybe some of the other food will make up for a rather expensive chicken ball...?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36265 posts
10486 upvotes
Ottawa
Chinese Tapas...what a concept. A great way to compensate for no buffet.
It will make their profits go up and wastage disappear.

Almost like all day Dim Sum :)
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2986 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: I can tell you right now it's $3.99 for only 3 chicken balls. Each person wanting a soup? $2.99 for each bowl of soup.
If you have a group of 6, that's one chicken ball each @ $7.98. $1.33 just for a chicken ball???
Maybe some of the other food will make up for a rather expensive chicken ball...?
I dont find value in Mandarin for these prices. I can literally go anywhere for this type of pricing, so why go to Mandarin? Werent you the one who goes to Mandarin for their hidden steaks? Is it on the new menu
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2006
19141 posts
2860 upvotes
Woodbridge
Why doesn't Mandarin adapt to August 8 style?

Then again even before Covid19 we rarely go there.

Since dine in was allowed we've been to August 8 six times now, we were there last night.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
18736 posts
5686 upvotes
Toronto
badOne wrote: Werent you the one who goes to Mandarin for their hidden steaks? Is it on the new menu
Four strips on a plate for $4.99.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
18736 posts
5686 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote: It will make their profits go up and wastage disappear.
Really?
Friday night used to mean phone ahead to reserve a table or wait 30-60 minutes to get one.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
11822 posts
6885 upvotes
Markham
playnicee1 wrote: Really?
Friday night used to mean phone ahead to reserve a table or wait 30-60 minutes to get one.

Not really against what he said though. You can't compare now vs pre pandemic.

It's really about when nobody comes for buffet, what should you do to survive and increase your profit ( compared if you don't do it)
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
18736 posts
5686 upvotes
Toronto
smartie wrote: Not really against what he said though. You can't compare now vs pre pandemic.

It's really about when nobody comes for buffet, what should you do to survive and increase your profit ( compared if you don't do it)
What they should do is maintain a flat rate price like what Dragon Pearl did.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36265 posts
10486 upvotes
Ottawa
playnicee1 wrote: Really?
Friday night used to mean phone ahead to reserve a table or wait 30-60 minutes to get one.

Not sure where this as taken. There are many Mandarin throughout Ontario. The one on my area is not opening till after Labour Day. Many restaurants, of all types will be suffering and having a difficult time getting clients back.
My point is, jokingly, that is will be like Tapas. Also, just by lessening the amount of spoilage, the profits should go up.
Newbie
May 4, 2018
76 posts
37 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
playnicee1 wrote: Incorrect.
The highest price is $4.99. The lowest is $1.99. Their biggest mistake is not showing prices in the above video. (to help one get a rough idea of what they might be spending)
It makes me wonder if it's cheaper to just order delivery instead, maybe?
My bad, was recalled from my hazy memory Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes $4.99 it is. I guess this could be the new model of buffet in the present/future. I don't see the self-service buffet model reopening anytime soon.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
18736 posts
5686 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote: Not sure where this as taken. There are many Mandarin throughout Ontario. The one on my area is not opening till after Labour Day. Many restaurants, of all types will be suffering and having a difficult time getting clients back.
My point is, jokingly, that is will be like Tapas. Also, just by lessening the amount of spoilage, the profits should go up.
I don't see it that way. I like to think Dragon Pearl is doing it correctly. No stress of counting plates or whatever. Just relax and enjoy a fixed price AYCE without ever having to get up from your seat.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
18736 posts
5686 upvotes
Toronto
blackcoffeetings wrote: $4.99 it is. I guess this could be the new model of buffet in the present/future. I don't see the self-service buffet model reopening anytime soon.
NO. Dragon Pearl doesn't charge per plate. They are one fixed price and they bring and bring plates to the table. It's the new AYCE...er, copying the Japanese AYCE's & others that have already done it this way for years.
Last edited by playnicee1 on Sep 7th, 2020 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Top