Travel

Mandatory masks & temperature checks - Air Canada changes as of May 15 to keep passengers and staff safer from COVID-19

• Last Updated:
  • May 13th, 2020 6:29 pm
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
18145 posts
1741 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Shaner wrote: When it comes time for me to travel again, I would pay more to avoid the airline that has these temperature checks in place. Not due to privacy. The temperature of my forehead isn't private information as far as I'm concerned, but because it's an ineffective method to test for COVID-19. Also, if their equipment is faulty or my temperature reads high for some other reason, then I may b denied boarding despite not having COVID-19. Experts have already said this method is all but useless, so the risk of denied boarding due to some other reason is too high to justify choosing an airline that has this policy in place.

You are correct, there is no right to fly, but policies still need to be reasonable or the courts will strike them down and/or provide financial compensation to customers who have been denied boarding.
I can't see the courts wading into this because it would set a precedent. And then some COVID-denier would sue because he doesn't believe in masks, and the airlines are also forcing passengers to wear masks...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2019
8944 posts
55334 upvotes
home
konfusion666 wrote: I can't see the courts wading into this because it would set a precedent. And then some COVID-denier would sue because he doesn't believe in masks, and the airlines are also forcing passengers to wear masks...
Airlines are required by law to ensure all crew/passengers are wearing masks.
Temperature checks are NOT required by law.
I definitely see many court cases based on inaccurate/false temperature checks being used to deny boarding.

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-cana ... ystem.html