Food & Drink

Is the Mango lady back yet? (Victoria Park and Finch)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2022 2:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2003
2954 posts
113 upvotes
Markham

Is the Mango lady back yet? (Victoria Park and Finch)

Hey guys

Is the mango lady back this year?
247 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2016
1135 posts
1739 upvotes
scarborough
are these mangoes any good.

i saw someone there selling mangoes not sure if it was a ma or a woman
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2003
2954 posts
113 upvotes
Markham
Last year was amazing. Purchased 20+ cases from her. The indian mangos are incredible. You can ask for sample.

So you saw somebody there? Was it like this? I live super far from there now so it's not like I can just drive by and check.

Imageupload photo online
Jul 27, 2009
105 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Interested in this too... Is she there every day?
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
10948 posts
4246 upvotes
Passed by there yesterday and saw what looked like a fruit stand but couldn't make out what it was exactly. Maybe it was this. On the South/East corner
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31744 posts
18662 upvotes
Toronto
I believe the stall is opened only on weekends.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14949 posts
11383 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Is this a legit business?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31744 posts
18662 upvotes
Toronto
well, I am sure the vendor does not have a business license to begin with. The Shell gas station may only ask the vendor to pay $X per day while they are selling on their property, both sides win. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2005
1602 posts
652 upvotes
chinaboy1021 wrote: Last year was amazing. Purchased 20+ cases from her. The indian mangos are incredible. You can ask for sample.

So you saw somebody there? Was it like this? I live super far from there now so it's not like I can just drive by and check.

Imageupload photo online
Are these alfonso mangoes?
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4699 posts
2756 upvotes
Milton, ON.
You can get these Idian mangoes in Brampton as well but at $40 case of 6-10 not for me.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1807 posts
1318 upvotes
cRaZyRaVr wrote: You can get these Idian mangoes in Brampton as well but at $40 case of 6-10 not for me.
Those are usually ripened on the trees, hand picked/packed and flown in. Got to watch out though, there are unscrupulous sellers that will mix one or two of the Mexican ones in the box. The difference in taste and texture will be obvious, but they look the same.

YOLO, try a box once or split a box with a friend. You will taste the difference.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1907 posts
2147 upvotes
cRaZyRaVr wrote: You can get these Idian mangoes in Brampton as well but at $40 case of 6-10 not for me.
Is that what they are going for these days? Yikes, they are good but that is pricy.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1807 posts
1318 upvotes
Dustler6 wrote: Are these alfonso mangoes?
Alfonso, Kesar and Badami are most common. You can also get mangoes from Pakistan, for a little cheaper than the Indian ones. You are paying premium for tree ripened, lower use of pesticides and fertilizers. The Mexican mangoes we get here are picked green, and nitrogen ripened on the trucks / train containers on the way here.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1501 posts
765 upvotes
i paid $40/dozen for Alphonso this year, they highest they have ever been. Worth it, wish I got more.
Got Kesar last week for $30/dz in Brampton and they were meh.
If anyone knows where I can get Alphonso at any price, LMK. I know its the end of the season and not many flights from India to fly they over.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1807 posts
1318 upvotes
vernonco wrote: i paid $40/dozen for Alphonso this year, they highest they have ever been. Worth it, wish I got more.
Got Kesar last week for $30/dz in Brampton and they were meh.
If anyone knows where I can get Alphonso at any price, LMK. I know its the end of the season and not many flights from India to fly they over.
I heard the season was delayed in India as well, so there is hope for more to come. They may be over ripe though. Eat what you can, and macerate the rest to extract syrup that can keep for a couple of months in the fridge. I followed this recipe one year, and the syrup was so good, it didn't last long either:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2018/04/sto ... stead.html
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2417 posts
716 upvotes
GTA
Are they "stringless"? Like Ataulfo?
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1556 posts
1870 upvotes
Scarborough
my0gr81 wrote: Alfonso, Kesar and Badami are most common. You can also get mangoes from Pakistan, for a little cheaper than the Indian ones. You are paying premium for tree ripened, lower use of pesticides and fertilizers. The Mexican mangoes we get here are picked green, and nitrogen ripened on the trucks / train containers on the way here.
The much larger Chaunsa ones from Pakistan were going for around $4 each last year or a box of about 5 for $20. They are so abundant back there in season and go so cheap I noticed the times I visited there few times.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31744 posts
18662 upvotes
Toronto
She is back this weekend selling lots of mangoes. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

There was a small crowd of potential customers too looking at her stocks whe I drove by