• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2020 11:43 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
2121 posts
3012 upvotes

Manitoba get with the times already...

I moved from Winnipeg to Vancouver in February. I just drove back for the summer to visit family and finally swap onto my all seasons. My Michelin XI3s drove half way across the country in 20C to 30C mostly sun, with the occasional thunderstorm. Tread degradation was surprisingly minimal, but driving down the mountains was kind of sketchy in the storms as it felt like I was half way to hydroplaning the whole time.

Anyway, what I appreciated in the other provinces was a distinct lack of front licence plates on cars. My car looked so ugly in comparison with a holder and plate screwed into the front bumper. Come on Manitoba, if the other provinces can be rear licence plate only, so can you...
9 replies
Jan 24, 2009
527 posts
151 upvotes
Regina
I guess you haven’t notice Ontario plates...

Mind you I agree, front plates need to go!
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
3638 posts
1841 upvotes
GTA
I don't understand why people are so hung up about front license plates. They have a huge advantage when it comes to hit and runs, accidents, etc. The only con is that it takes away the aesthetics of a car.

Pros outweigh the cons.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15584 posts
13185 upvotes
Richmond Hill
It's ugly so I don't have one on my summer toy LOL
Apr 18, 2017
665 posts
1254 upvotes
ADRiiAN` wrote: I don't understand why people are so hung up about front license plates. They have a huge advantage when it comes to hit and runs, accidents, etc. The only con is that it takes away the aesthetics of a car.

Pros outweigh the cons.
This pretty well sums it up. It's just something for people to complain about for no real reason.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5612 posts
3183 upvotes
Toronto
Caerus wrote: I moved from Winnipeg to Vancouver in February. I just drove back for the summer to visit family and finally swap onto my all seasons. My Michelin XI3s drove half way across the country in 20C to 30C mostly sun, with the occasional thunderstorm. Tread degradation was surprisingly minimal, but driving down the mountains was kind of sketchy in the storms as it felt like I was half way to hydroplaning the whole time.

Anyway, what I appreciated in the other provinces was a distinct lack of front licence plates on cars. My car looked so ugly in comparison with a holder and plate screwed into the front bumper. Come on Manitoba, if the other provinces can be rear licence plate only, so can you...
So you basically just moved to another province that also requires a front plate and you're complaining about your old province that requires a front plate?
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2712 posts
1240 upvotes
Calgary
What advantage do they have in accidents/hit and runs exactly? A hit and run usually happens when no one is around so even a 100 plates wouldn't help there. Wonder if there are actual stats on how many hit and run have been solved via a front plate.
Aug 6, 2017
574 posts
867 upvotes
I wouldn't mind as much if our plates were more like those euro plates which are slimline.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1408 posts
1228 upvotes
aleks wrote: What advantage do they have in accidents/hit and runs exactly? A hit and run usually happens when no one is around so even a 100 plates wouldn't help there. Wonder if there are actual stats on how many hit and run have been solved via a front plate.
Pretty much and cops can't be bothered in Ontario with anything road related anyways. Somehow other provinces manage just fine with one license plate.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
15862 posts
4380 upvotes
Markham
aleks wrote: What advantage do they have in accidents/hit and runs exactly? A hit and run usually happens when no one is around so even a 100 plates wouldn't help there. Wonder if there are actual stats on how many hit and run have been solved via a front plate.
Good for and only If the front plates falls off after hit and run

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.5320871
Police look for man after they find vehicle in Scarborough hit and run that hurt baby
The front licence plate of the vehicle fell off due to the impact of the crash and was left at the scene.
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro