None
[OP]
Feb 6, 2015
226 posts
16 upvotes
Markham, ON

Manual Question

Hey guys,
The other day I came down to a light and so I took it out of gear, put it into neutral and as I was coming down to like 10 kmh the light went green and so I put the car back into first but it seemed like it didn't want to go into first. I was told you should only put the car into first when you're completely stopped. I've had several times that I put the car back into first as the car was still rolling around 5 kmh. My question is, do I put it into first next time at around 5-10 kmh rolling or throw it into second or third? I've had times that I threw it into third gear while at 20 kmh and it went fine. What should I do in this scenario?
27 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2003
2970 posts
983 upvotes
Toronto
infinityZ wrote: Hey guys,
The other day I came down to a light and so I took it out of gear, put it into neutral and as I was coming down to like 10 kmh the light went green and so I put the car back into first but it seemed like it didn't want to go into first. I was told you should only put the car into first when you're completely stopped. I've had several times that I put the car back into first as the car was still rolling around 5 kmh. My question is, do I put it into first next time at around 5-10 kmh rolling or throw it into second or third? I've had times that I threw it into third gear while at 20 kmh and it went fine. What should I do in this scenario?
Put it in second gear if you're going the above mentioned speed.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16142 posts
14142 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Unless the car is at a stop put it in second.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5462 posts
2992 upvotes
Toronto
What everyone said. Your transmission usually don't allow or makes it difficult to put in first gear at higher then 0kmh. But hell if your car lets you, pop it in first at 20kmh and go insta redline.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4102 posts
1017 upvotes
For 5km/h that the car is almost stopping to a halt. I will tap for a little bit gas and use gear 1. It's all about speed synchronization.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
20065 posts
7410 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Your car sounds like normal behaviour, if it won't go into first use second with a little gas. Most cars 10km/hr second will work fine.
At 5km/hr its a bit slow for second, if you have a tach rev to 1000-1500 then it should slide into first. Its a bit of a talent to be able to do this quickly and on demand. Try this out on your car in a parking lot

You may find yourself thinking ahead and just roll stopping so you can get her into first until you master the rev slightly then first technique.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Apr 8, 2010
784 posts
432 upvotes
toronto
what others said... if you're going to put it in first at speed, you need to treat first like you would when you're starting off. gas and ease clutch. never ever down shift into first or you're screw up your synchro mesh on you're gear box
Nov 5, 2004
423 posts
116 upvotes
Chatham
It's cause you're granny shifting, not double clutching like you should.

Try blipping the throttle in neutral a bit above your target rpm in first. When you clutch in and go to select 1, you will feel no resistance at all.
Oct 29, 2009
624 posts
305 upvotes
Double-clutch to get into first while rolling. Shift into neutral (and release the clutch pedal) before trying to get into first. Or just avoid shifting into first while rolling whenever possible.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1684 posts
601 upvotes
Calgary
My stealth wouldnt let me go into first in any speeds even if it was 5 kmph. I had to be at a complete halt for it to go into first. My miata on the other hand is fine with 1st under 15 kmph. Its a normal behaviour for your car. dont worry!
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
418 upvotes
Toronto
Throw it in 2nd gear 1st gear is only for take off from a complete stop. Also dont be a noob and take your car out of gear when stopped at a red light... if you want your clutch to last you more than 1 year.
Banned
May 17, 2005
4845 posts
661 upvotes
on flat road 2nd ... only if uphill 1st (if the 2nd gear is to weak to drive)
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4330 posts
3623 upvotes
Oakville, ON
infinityZ wrote: Hey guys,
1. Don't take it out of gear while slowing down. Change gears ok. Coast in gear ok. Coast in neutral is not a good practice.

2. Most cars are either difficult or impossible to put into 1st while already moving. Put it in 2nd instead. Depending on the vehicle, you may need to rise the revs as you shift or you may need to feather the gas slowly after you shift.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1684 posts
601 upvotes
Calgary
CanadianLurker wrote: 1. Don't take it out of gear while slowing down. Change gears ok. Coast in gear ok. Coast in neutral is not a good practice.

2. Most cars are either difficult or impossible to put into 1st while already moving. Put it in 2nd instead. Depending on the vehicle, you may need to rise the revs as you shift or you may need to feather the gas slowly after you shift.
Generally when coming to a red light and I am in 5th or 4th I will just shift to neutral until i come to a stop. Can I ask why is it bad to coast in neutral?
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
418 upvotes
Toronto
masarwar wrote: Generally when coming to a red light and I am in 5th or 4th I will just shift to neutral until i come to a stop. Can I ask why is it bad to coast in neutral?
Its not bad to coast in neutral as a matter of fact you put less stress on the engine. Its stupid to keep the car in 4th gear while you have slowed down and are coasting at 20 km/h, it might even stall if you dont have the clutch down. The only time you should keep it in gear while stopping is when you want the engine to help you stop the car when brakes are not enough but in this case you shift down.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
2197 posts
687 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Your breaks will last a lot longer if you stop coasting in natural. Don't even need to downshift, let the engine do some of the breaking.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35617 posts
21675 upvotes
Center of Universe
iddqd85 wrote: Your breaks will last a lot longer if you stop coasting in natural. Don't even need to downshift, let the engine do some of the breaking.
On a manual transmission vehicle, there's no engine braking without downshifting.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8710 posts
5091 upvotes
ON
vkizzle wrote: On a manual transmission vehicle, there's no engine braking without downshifting.
Read closely , he said breaking not braking.
Technically there will be some drag from the engine when you let off the gas, but nothing considerably useful for quickly slowing down. Definitely no "breaking" happening from the engine until he hits the guy in front of him.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
20065 posts
7410 upvotes
Socially Distanced
vkizzle wrote: On a manual transmission vehicle, there's no engine braking without downshifting.
Of course there is, but far less.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4330 posts
3623 upvotes
Oakville, ON
masarwar wrote: Generally when coming to a red light and I am in 5th or 4th I will just shift to neutral until i come to a stop. Can I ask why is it bad to coast in neutral?
There are several reasons why coasting in neutral is not a good practice:

- it uses more fuel. When coasting in gear the car's systems shut off fuel and the engine is turned by the wheels so it won't stalk (fuel kicks in again if revs drop to about 1,000 rpm). Coasting in neutral requires fuel to be delivered to the engine to prevent it from stalling granted, this isn't going to be a huge fuel saver but it isn't a neglibable amount either

- in many places it's actually illegal to coast down a grade in neutral. Instead of having to assess whether the grade you're on is ok to coast in neutral or not, just make it a habit to coast in gear

- if you need to accelerate to avoid a situation the pops up, it's quicker to respond with the accelerator instead of clutching to change into gear first. This last point will start a big discussion on safety and responsiveness and will have many opinions, but I believe it to be the best approach