Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Manulife

Manulife HISA 2.0% for 4 months

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 4th, 2021 7:33 am
Tags:
May 24, 2010
51 posts
49 upvotes
Ottawa
sablitz wrote: God amongst men. Thank you for the post!
sexist much? How about GOD amongst mortal humans!
Feb 8, 2017
539 posts
416 upvotes
Toukolou wrote: Lol, I understand all about APR, that's one of the reasons I didn't really understand why there would be 6 pages of sub-0.7% interest discussion. If this was a true 2% payout I might understand it a little bit more (probably not though), but it isn't and you should be more clear about that because you know it too. But you're still referring to it as "a place to store cash that offers 2%", except....you'll never earn 2% in this (or any) savings account. And I'd venture to guess, most people don't understand that fact because people who should know better keep referring to a 2% payout. It isn't. It isn't even a 0.7% payout.

It's a sham, in the sense that Manulife is trying to dupe people into thinking they'll earn 2% on their money, which they never will. Of course, this all clearly spelled out in the fine print...
Wow, you are really hung up on APR. Sorry that you find this confusing and a "sham" but all savings account offers are presented using APR. I am glad you are here trying to educate people at least. I would hope that most people already understood this.

This is still a better deal than the average savings account - which are mostly 0.1% APR - or in your terms 0.03333% over 4 months. Maybe one day you'll have some cash you need to hold for whatever reason and you'll understand.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18021 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
sierravista wrote: Wow, you are really hung up on APR. Sorry that you find this confusing and a "sham" but all savings account offers are presented using APR. I am glad you are here trying to educate people at least. I would hope that most people already understood this.

This is still a better deal than the average savings account - which are mostly 0.1% APR - or in your terms 0.03333% over 4 months. Maybe one day you'll have some cash you need to hold for whatever reason and you'll understand.
@sierravista
Please see my post about the calculations of EQ Bank vs Manulife and investing money.
As you mentioned, Annual Price Rate (APR) is pretty standard across all places and I believe people need to be better educated about this. As for the 0.1% rate you quote, yes, some banks offer next to nothing, and I would encourage people check out sites like Rate Hub for options:
https://www.ratehub.ca/savings-accounts ... s-accounts

One good thing about the banking system is that many are CDIC covered or insured by other means. The risk of defaults these days are rate and even Home Capital is CDIC insured. Unless you go over the limit, the odds of you losing everyone is rare. Typically, one should look at the $100K as the MAX amount covered AFTER Interest gained. At 1.25% of EQ Bank, that would be roughly $98,765 each year to cover you up to $100k. You would also have to adjust this number for compounding of interest or just drop $95K and not worry about it for about 2.7 years lol.
Oct 21, 2005
837 posts
812 upvotes
Toukolou wrote: Lol, I understand all about APR, that's one of the reasons I didn't really understand why there would be 6 pages of sub-0.7% interest discussion. If this was a true 2% payout I might understand it a little bit more (probably not though), but it isn't and you should be more clear about that because you know it too. But you're still referring to it as "a place to store cash that offers 2%", except....you'll never earn 2% in this (or any) savings account. And I'd venture to guess, most people don't understand that fact because people who should know better keep referring to a 2% payout. It isn't. It isn't even a 0.7% payout.

It's a sham, in the sense that Manulife is trying to dupe people into thinking they'll earn 2% on their money, which they never will. Of course, this all clearly spelled out in the fine print...
You must have been really upset the first time you got a 5 year mortgage term at 2% interest and found out you actually had to pay them 10%.
Feb 8, 2017
539 posts
416 upvotes
hightech wrote: @sierravista
Please see my post about the calculations of EQ Bank vs Manulife and investing money.
As you mentioned, Annual Price Rate (APR) is pretty standard across all places and I believe people need to be better educated about this. As for the 0.1% rate you quote, yes, some banks offer next to nothing, and I would encourage people check out sites like Rate Hub for options:
https://www.ratehub.ca/savings-accounts ... s-accounts
Not sure what you are linking to. I'm well versed in APR though and have multiple savings account at banks that I swap money around to get the best rate for.

I only bothered answering Toukolou because he seems to think that people with six figures of cash are "uneducated" investors. Guess he doesn't have 7+ figures of wealth to manage though...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2013
6154 posts
10805 upvotes
Canada
The conversation about how APR is misleading when it is literally a regulatory standard that stops insititutions from misleading people is pretty funny.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
3320 posts
2372 upvotes
flyjazz wrote: It's a soft pull on TransUnion. At least it was two years ago when I opened the first account.
Okay, thanks! Any cons to Manulife? Heard that they sometimes randomly shut down accounts after approval? Is it okay to transfer my all the funds in my savings account immediately after approval?
Apr 23, 2018
35 posts
31 upvotes
profile wrote: I have opened 4 accounts with Manulife plus 4 for my spouse over time and received the bonus amount each time.
The only thing I was told that the money added to the new account must not come from an existing Manulife account to count so I make sure once the time period is up, I transfer the money out.
Did you still have the old accounts open?
I just opened a 2nd account. It's showing this
Interest rate 0.150%
Promotional rate 1.850%
Promotion end date October 15, 2021
Opened date June 17, 2021

The old account has been unused for about a year and says
Status Inactive

Wondering if i'm good to go here or it's better to wait to see if they reject it.
Apr 23, 2018
35 posts
31 upvotes
Triqueux wrote: I opened a second account, a few days ago I got this email:
Thank you for opening an Advantage Account under our promotional offer. We’ve identified that your account #xxx does not qualify for this promotion because you have previously held another Advantage Account. As a result, the promotional offer has been removed from this account.

If you have any questions, you are welcome to email us at manulife_bank@manulife.ca.

Thank you for banking with us.

Sincerely,
How long was it between opening and this email? Had you already transferred funds in?
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2014
1354 posts
2023 upvotes
IEpicDestroyer wrote:
Okay, thanks! Any cons to Manulife? Heard that they sometimes randomly shut down accounts after approval? Is it okay to transfer my all the funds in my savings account immediately after approval?
Personally, I really like the Advantage account and have never honestly had any issues. Accounts getting shut down, etc, are rare. KYC regulations are becoming much more prevalent while opening accounts online these days, banks are just being cautious. The online application/enrollment gets approved/opened if it meets a certain criteria and likely gets reviewed manually afterwards for anything that may have slipped through the cracks. If you have any doubts, give them a quick call, I find them helpful.
rfdealer666 wrote: Did you still have the old accounts open?
Interest rate 0.150%
Promotional rate 1.850%

Status Inactive

Wondering if i'm good to go here or it's better to wait to see if they reject it.
If you're concerned about the old inactive account, it's normal in a scenario where no transactions have occurred for a prolonged period. Many banks classify an account unused for more than a year as dormant, very common. Again, give them a call and they will sort things out for you.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
2115 posts
1929 upvotes
Ontario
rfdealer666 wrote: Did you still have the old accounts open?
Interest rate 0.150%
Promotional rate 1.850%

Status Inactive

All the accounts are still open with a zero balance.
I transferred $10.00 into the new accounts to make Manulife aware of their existence so they have time to evaluate their approval though I have never had an issue in the past. .
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
9335 posts
5636 upvotes
LBJackal wrote: You must have been really upset the first time you got a 5 year mortgage term at 2% interest and found out you actually had to pay them 10%.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
3320 posts
2372 upvotes
flyjazz wrote: Personally, I really like the Advantage account and have never honestly had any issues. Accounts getting shut down, etc, are rare. KYC regulations are becoming much more prevalent while opening accounts online these days, banks are just being cautious. The online application/enrollment gets approved/opened if it meets a certain criteria and likely gets reviewed manually afterwards for anything that may have slipped through the cracks. If you have any doubts, give them a quick call, I find them helpful.

If you're concerned about the old inactive account, it's normal in a scenario where no transactions have occurred for a prolonged period. Many banks classify an account unused for more than a year as dormant, very common. Again, give them a call and they will sort things out for you.
Thanks, I signed up earlier this afternoon! Simple process, filled in some personal information, asked a couple questions from my credit file afterwards, then asked if I wanted to allow them to verify my identity by providing another bank's online credentials. Declined because I wasn't comfortable with that, the final page asked me to give them PAD form or deposit a $1 cheque and submit a utility statement (acceptable documents here, if anyone needs it).
However, the email that followed afterwards also had a link or QR code (does the same thing) that allows verification on a mobile device (or any device with a camera) by taking the front and back of a piece of government issued ID (passport, provincial/territorial ID, or driver's license) and then allowing them to perform a face scan with my camera. Got an email afterwards saying my identity's verified and my Advantage account is ready!

Just waiting for them to provision my account properly, looks like various weird glitches because the account is still new. Linked the account on Tangerine's side and submitted the PAD form for Tangerine savings to Manulife to link on their side as well, although wondering if it might be rejected because that PAD form is dated two years ago (got it originally for Simplii Financial and they have to mail out the stamped ones, which takes a few weeks). If Manulife Bank rejects it, I can just push the funds from Tangerine for now while I work on getting Tangerine to mail me a new PAD form for my savings account.

Their website online banking is so old fashion, but I do like their mobile app! :)

Someone did say there needs to be three emails from them before the account is completely set up and ready for use? I guess that's when I should actually fund the account with the balance in Tangerine savings.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2014
1354 posts
2023 upvotes
IEpicDestroyer wrote: Thanks, I signed up earlier this afternoon! Simple process, filled in some personal information, asked a couple questions from my credit file afterwards, then asked if I wanted to allow them to verify my identity by providing another bank's online credentials. Declined because I wasn't comfortable with that, the final page asked me to give them PAD form or deposit a $1 cheque and submit a utility statement (acceptable documents here, if anyone needs it).
However, the email that followed afterwards also had a link or QR code (does the same thing) that allows verification on a mobile device (or any device with a camera) by taking the front and back of a piece of government issued ID (passport, provincial/territorial ID, or driver's license) and then allowing them to perform a face scan with my camera. Got an email afterwards saying my identity's verified and my Advantage account is ready!

Just waiting for them to provision my account properly, looks like various weird glitches because the account is still new. Linked the account on Tangerine's side and submitted the PAD form for Tangerine savings to Manulife to link on their side as well, although wondering if it might be rejected because that PAD form is dated two years ago (got it originally for Simplii Financial and they have to mail out the stamped ones, which takes a few weeks). If Manulife Bank rejects it, I can just push the funds from Tangerine for now while I work on getting Tangerine to mail me a new PAD form for my savings account.

Their website online banking is so old fashion, but I do like their mobile app! :)

Someone did say there needs to be three emails from them before the account is completely set up and ready for use? I guess that's when I should actually fund the account with the balance in Tangerine savings.
Wow, times have changed since I opened my account 2 years ago. That's some serious KYC going on.

I sent them an older Tangerine " Direct Deposit Request Form " that I downloaded for the savings account, which they accepted and linked. If you send them the equivalent Simplii Direct Deposit form for the savings account, they will likely accept that too.
Aug 6, 2019
172 posts
150 upvotes
Ontario
Can someone help explain. I have an existing account with $0 in it from the promotion that ended Jan or so this year.

Am I able to open a second advantage account and it will be promotional? Doesn't look like there's any promotional interest attached to the second account.

Would I need to try and create an entire "folio" entirely from the beginning?
Jan 3, 2013
919 posts
475 upvotes
Mississauga
MrFinancial wrote: Can someone help explain. I have an existing account with $0 in it from the promotion that ended Jan or so this year.

Am I able to open a second advantage account and it will be promotional? Doesn't look like there's any promotional interest attached to the second account.

Would I need to try and create an entire "folio" entirely from the beginning?
Yesterday was last day for 2% promo. I just tried the links and now showing only 0.15%.

I was able to open a new account with 2% promo rate yesterday. I also have two other accounts from previous promos.
Feb 10, 2008
792 posts
660 upvotes
Hold on a second....is the 2% promo interest for 120 days only on $50K deposits?! The OP mentioned $250K but I just re-read the link and it says $50?!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)