Travel

Manulife and Sunwing (Warning, this is not a hot deal)

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 11th, 2020 3:34 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 1, 2015
7 posts
2 upvotes
Outremont, QC

Manulife and Sunwing (Warning, this is not a hot deal)

Good morning,

Please do not buy the Manulife Global Travel Insurance from Sunwing.

I bought the tickets this winter and they have cancelled my flight because of COVID19, That's fine and I will re-schedule it.

But, I lost my insurance policy!. 89$ x 3 = 267 CAD for nothing. As they said, the insurance is non-refundable and non-reschedule.

Be careful!
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6685 posts
1420 upvotes
Did they tell you the insurance was non-refundable (either verbally or in fine print) when you bought it?
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 1, 2015
7 posts
2 upvotes
Outremont, QC
No, and I think they have changed the policy recently.
By the way - Red Flag on this!
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3817 posts
931 upvotes
Toronto
zefirka, It could be a lot worse. We lost a lost more than $267.00 when AC cancelled our trip and our insurance covered Pandemic. It won't in the future but it initially did until the government stepped in and we were no longer allowed to claim trip cancellation insurance. It was not with Manulife but that point is mute. A chargeback did not work either.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36403 posts
10664 upvotes
Ottawa
I had a Manulife policy (trip cancellation and medical insurance) for a trip to Europe and the flights were cancelled, I got my premium money back.
It may be specific to the policy the OP bought.
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 1, 2015
7 posts
2 upvotes
Outremont, QC
Blanche123 wrote: zefirka, It could be a lot worse. We lost a lost more than $267.00 when AC cancelled our trip and our insurance covered Pandemic. It won't in the future but it initially did until the government stepped in and we were no longer allowed to claim trip cancellation insurance. It was not with Manulife but that point is mute. A chargeback did not work either.
In my case, I din't ask for refund or charge-back. I only asked for future date modification. It was not accepted as well.
Good business for insurance company, Money from the air.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6685 posts
1420 upvotes
If you paid via CC, could you maybe ask them if this would be something that you could charge back?
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 1, 2015
7 posts
2 upvotes
Outremont, QC
amz155 wrote: If you paid via CC, could you maybe ask them if this would be something that you could charge back?
I want to share my experience with this insurance company. Nothing personal.
I'm fine with this amount of money, not a big loss.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2354 posts
3073 upvotes
Blanche123 wrote: zefirka, It could be a lot worse. We lost a lost more than $267.00 when AC cancelled our trip and our insurance covered Pandemic. It won't in the future but it initially did until the government stepped in and we were no longer allowed to claim trip cancellation insurance. It was not with Manulife but that point is mute. A chargeback did not work either.
Don't understand the bolded point. What did the gov't do that disallowed a claim for trip cancellation insurance? I am not aware of anything the gov't did that directly impacted insurance.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2723 posts
1978 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
zefirka wrote: I want to share my experience with this insurance company. Nothing personal.
I'm fine with this amount of money, not a big loss.
Call Sunwing or check your future travel credit.

My understanding is that tour operators like Sunwing (and Transat & ACV) are adding the amount of your insurance policy to the entire cost of the vacation credit on file...
Example:
Your trip is $1000 per person
Your insurance is $89 Per person
Future Travel Credit amount for future use = $1089 PP
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2637 posts
2191 upvotes
GTA West
Off-topic a bit, but you may be interested in the following note from Medipac in relation to COVID-19:

The main question on most travellers' minds is whether they will be covered for COVID-19 emergency medical expenses when they purchase travel insurance for the upcoming travel season - with Medipac the answer is YES.*

During the emergence of the COVID-19 pandemic, other insurance carriers actually imposed ultimatums, forcing clients to return to Canada by a certain date, in fear of terminating their coverage! Many providers have since halted the sale of travel insurance altogether.

At Medipac, it's business as usual.


I thought that was noteworthy. They also have a cancel-for-any-reason provision that refunds your premium less a $50 fee if you decide not to travel.
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 1, 2015
7 posts
2 upvotes
Outremont, QC
BrunetteGirl wrote: Call Sunwing or check your future travel credit.

My understanding is that tour operators like Sunwing (and Transat & ACV) are adding the amount of your insurance policy to the entire cost of the vacation credit on file...
Example:
Your trip is $1000 per person
Your insurance is $89 Per person
Future Travel Credit amount for future use = $1089 PP
I have tried several times for an answer. Nothing....
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2723 posts
1978 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
zefirka wrote: I have tried several times for an answer. Nothing....
Tried “who”? Most importantly - Did you cancel OR was your trip automatically cancelled because you were travelling after March 17?

If you chose/requested to cancel then yes you technically “used” your insurance.

If the airline cancelled // you did not cancel:
If you booked through a Travel Agent ask for your voucher amount in writing - if you booked through Sunwing directly call them / email them.

There is no such thing as official “vouchers” your old booking # is the number to keep on hand. The total cost of that trip = the voucher amount.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
2285 posts
1626 upvotes
GTA
Trip cancellation insurance is a scam. It's better to pay the little extra and book refundable hotel stays. My travel insurance provider (for which I paid extra) is making me go through hoops to make a claim even after I sent them the required information.
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 1, 2015
7 posts
2 upvotes
Outremont, QC
BrunetteGirl wrote: Tried “who”? Most importantly - Did you cancel OR was your trip automatically cancelled because you were travelling after March 17?

If you chose/requested to cancel then yes you technically “used” your insurance.

If the airline cancelled // you did not cancel:
If you booked through a Travel Agent ask for your voucher amount in writing - if you booked through Sunwing directly call them / email them.

There is no such thing as official “vouchers” your old booking # is the number to keep on hand. The total cost of that trip = the voucher amount.
Cancelled by SunWing. I did not cancel. No refund/reschedule/voucher amount.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)