Real Estate

Many Canadian employers say they won’t continue work-from-home flexibility after pandemic

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 22nd, 2020 1:11 pm

Poll: Has your work let you know if if work from home will continue?

  • Total votes: 159. You have voted on this poll.
No, we have not heard yet
 
32
20%
Yes, we will wfh full time permanently
 
19
12%
Yes, we will wfh some days
 
58
36%
Yes, we will return back to office (including phased back)
 
46
29%
Other
 
4
3%
105 replies
Jr. Member
Jun 11, 2013
179 posts
121 upvotes
Toronto
Guess where I won't be working....ya those companies lol
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 22, 2011
10134 posts
12542 upvotes
Toronto
crucial1 wrote: Guess where I won't be working....ya those companies lol
The whole time my VP was saying we will never go back to office permanently given how popular wfh is. Now she has changed her tune and the most recent email was phase back won't start until spring. So I guess we are going back? It's hard to leave if you are a professional in a niche industry and have tenure. I get 6 weeks vacation now and manage a very independent team so my workload is very low.
Jr. Member
Jun 11, 2013
179 posts
121 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah, honestly who knows how things are going to go. I definitely think there will be tons of companies calling people back in and some that will have some more flex. One thing that is certain is that the future right now is very uncertain...we are potentially one covid mutation away from everything going back to the way it was in the beginning of 2020....who knows
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 15, 2004
19526 posts
3568 upvotes
Toronto
People will be going back to the office after the pandemic, but my boss already told me I can keep working from home. I made it very clear that I greatly prefer this.
Sr. Member
Jul 7, 2019
629 posts
485 upvotes
Personally, I think the results of WFH in 2021 (some companies will keep, some will be back, some will mix) will end up having a minor impact on RE, as compared to other factors ie: opening back up Restaurants/Bars/Retail, Events (Sports, Concerts, festivals), Immigration, etc.
Penalty Box
Apr 29, 2010
568 posts
927 upvotes
GTA
I hope the companies that NEEDLESSLY force whitecollar staff back into cubicles get darwin'd out of existence.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2012
2240 posts
3547 upvotes
Toronto
WFH has always been a part of my practice group, but there will be a form of return to the office eventually. There was never a contemplation of a permanent, total WFH model. Apparently organization wide the uptake on a completely voluntary return to the office in the new year was more than expected. People getting tired of being at home babysitting the entire time, most likely.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 1, 2001
1063 posts
402 upvotes
Toronto
lolbeast wrote: I hope the companies that NEEDLESSLY force whitecollar staff back into cubicles get darwin'd out of existence.
Those with less tenure may look elsewhere
Jr. Member
Dec 5, 2017
193 posts
154 upvotes
My employer has said they are evaluating the situation. We'll see what happens, although some (just a few) people were working from home prior to the pandemic. I would prefer a mix, maybe 3 days at the office and 2 at home.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 22, 2011
10134 posts
12542 upvotes
Toronto
crucial1 wrote: Yeah, honestly who knows how things are going to go. I definitely think there will be tons of companies calling people back in and some that will have some more flex. One thing that is certain is that the future right now is very uncertain...we are potentially one covid mutation away from everything going back to the way it was in the beginning of 2020....who knows
I think the biggest issue for many companies is privacy and security. Before COVID we couldn't even have usbs at work and now we have thousands of low level and new employees with laptops at home it's a huge liability.
Jr. Member
Dec 5, 2017
193 posts
154 upvotes
ozzie16 wrote: People getting tired of being at home babysitting the entire time, most likely.
There is a big difference between working from home in the true sense and working while watching kids. During the summer I worked and watched my 5 year old, it was a mixed day. I would stop work around 10pm and work weekends. I still wasn't working a full work week. Working from home now with school in is productive.
Member
Nov 26, 2012
350 posts
305 upvotes
Toronto
We haven't heard anything but I'm certain we will be back in the office eventually. That's the impression I get from the company surveys...lol
Member
User avatar
Aug 31, 2008
205 posts
111 upvotes
Unionville
mazerbeaner wrote: I think the biggest issue for many companies is privacy and security. Before COVID we couldn't even have usbs at work and now we have thousands of low level and new employees with laptops at home it's a huge liability.
I get quite tired of this old CISO mentality that this is an issue. If an employee wanted to download all the company files onto a drive, then they already did, regardless if you are WFH or otherwise. I can't count how many times I've hired people that can pull up files from past workplaces.
vgosu
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 22, 2011
10134 posts
12542 upvotes
Toronto
Dynafrom wrote: I get quite tired of this old CISO mentality that this is an issue. If an employee wanted to download all the company files onto a drive, then they already did, regardless if you are WFH or otherwise. I can't count how many times I've hired people that can pull up files from past workplaces.
Try explaining that to my VPs who are 50+ and can't figure out how to use a pivot table.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
1396 posts
2547 upvotes
Toronto
The commute back from Barrie/Keswick/Guelph/etc where all the geniuses moved out to will be glorious.
Realtor, Investor, CPA
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2014
1410 posts
613 upvotes
Toronto, ON, CA
I don't see how companies won't go hybrid. I think after 12 months of WFH, companies have established WFH works.
Any company going back to full office working sounds old-school and archaic.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 8, 2010
1405 posts
1098 upvotes
Ontario
mazerbeaner wrote: Many Canadian employers say they won’t continue work-from-home flexibility after pandemic
And many say they will.... Now, as all were working from office just last year, what's the news here?
mazerbeaner wrote: I think the biggest issue for many companies is privacy and security. Before COVID we couldn't even have usbs at work and now we have thousands of low level and new employees with laptops at home it's a huge liability.
Way cheaper for companies to beef up online security, if not done that yet.... Just curious, now working from home you can use usb's on your work computer?
Newbie
Nov 28, 2020
71 posts
62 upvotes
I can see a hybrid model. Assigned offices will disappear in favour of generic workstations. Companies can get rid of 1/3 of their real estate, saving a ton.

Top