Off Topic

Maple GO- where did all these people come from?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 10th, 2019 11:46 am
[OP]
Jan 29, 2010
586 posts
365 upvotes

Maple GO- where did all these people come from?

Since the start of September, there has been a significant increase in passengers in Maple GO, even when considering summer is over and people are back to work (Before June, it wasn’t anywhere near the amount of people nowadays). Now the supplementary parking lot is full by 7:50am. Are these people from Rutherford?
30 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
11340 posts
6149 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Back to school.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9307 posts
1876 upvotes
Somewhere
Back to School.

And also - Rutherford GO station is under heavy construction at the moment. They closed probably 1/4 to 1/3 of the entire lot to build a badly needed multi story parking lot. They're also lowering Rutherford to go under the train tracks. The estimated completion date is 2022. Which means 2024 at least. So you're going to experience these crowds for a bit longer. Lmao.

I noticed a ripple effect onto the Richmond Hill line. There's been an increase in people at Langstaff and also RHill.
:confused:
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
6882 posts
2142 upvotes
Mississauga
iEyeCaptain wrote:
Sep 17th, 2019 9:57 am
Back to School.

And also - Rutherford GO station is under heavy construction at the moment. They closed probably 1/4 to 1/3 of the entire lot to build a badly needed multi story parking lot. They're also lowering Rutherford to go under the train tracks. The estimated completion date is 2022. Which means 2024 at least. So you're going to experience these crowds for a bit longer. Lmao.

I noticed a ripple effect onto the Richmond Hill line. There's been an increase in people at Langstaff and also RHill.
Wow! How do they do that while leaving the track intact? Sounds like a huge undertaking.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24255 posts
1512 upvotes
Markham, ON
....every mode of transportation is stressed when school starts again...

gets a little better in October...once ppl know their schedule (at school)
Feb 11, 2015
80 posts
13 upvotes
East York, ON
I hate traffic.

Toronto used to be alright but now there are too many people.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
11765 posts
6086 upvotes
Toronto
anonguy123 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2019 11:54 am
I hate traffic.

Toronto used to be alright but now there are too many people.
I said the same thing about Newmarket.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9307 posts
1876 upvotes
Somewhere
kenchau wrote:
Sep 17th, 2019 10:55 am
Wow! How do they do that while leaving the track intact? Sounds like a huge undertaking.
It really is. I'm wondering how they'll do it without having to close the extremely busy road.

Every time I go by, I'm guessing how they're going to do it.

As of right now, they dug huge trenches on both sides of the road. They may redirect the road temporarily.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
8286 posts
1306 upvotes
Toronto
Toronto badly needs more heavy rail service.
People are obviously willing to pay for it, but it's simply not available.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24255 posts
1512 upvotes
Markham, ON
gh05t wrote:
Sep 17th, 2019 12:30 pm
Toronto badly needs more heavy rail service.
People are obviously willing to pay for it, but it's simply not available.
really...so much outrage on the Pearson to Union train...

gov'ts arent willling to spend a lot on infrastructure that goes beyond 4 years lol...cause they dont benefit from it once they get kicked out.
Jul 18, 2015
144 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
iEyeCaptain wrote:
Sep 17th, 2019 12:23 pm
It really is. I'm wondering how they'll do it without having to close the extremely busy road.

As of right now, they dug huge trenches on both sides of the road. They may redirect the road temporarily.
A good chunk of the parking has been moved to the new lot down the street. The road will be shifted over south of where it currently is by the end of October. Work will then commence to build the underpass which will take another two years.

To answer OP's question, ridership is simply increasing more and more each year. People are moving further out from the city and the Barrie line is a pretty convenient option to get downtown quickly - check out the percentage increases for Rutherford and Maple https://metrolinx.files.wordpress.com/2 ... detail.pdf and https://metrolinx.files.wordpress.com/2 ... ed-map.pdf

Metrolinx has done a decent job so far at providing increased # of trains for the morning and afternoon commutes but will need to double track the line to further increase capacity.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
2031 posts
1038 upvotes
Vancouver
They are looking for op
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9908 posts
7200 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
iEyeCaptain wrote:
Sep 17th, 2019 9:57 am
Back to School.

kenchau wrote:
Sep 17th, 2019 10:55 am

iEyeCaptain wrote:
Sep 17th, 2019 12:23 pm

They did one of these in Ottawa (Greenbank Road in the Suburb Barrhaven) after the OC Transpo Double Decker Bus & Via Rail Train Accident
Dug down so the previous level crossing ended up where the road went under the train track (now on an overpass)
Took them like a year to complete.
The traffic on the busy street was detoured (Other side, they did the over pass in 2 halfs essentially) many times in the year that the construction took place
But the railway track never was never truly shut down
(It’s part of the mainline from Ottawa to Kingston / Toronto)
Quite the bit of engineering

And there will be much more in the months / years to come

The outcome of the Crash Inquiry was these level crossings (even with signals and lift gates)
Are too dangerous for an urban area

The general area of Westend Ottawa where the crash happened had 14 such crossings at the time of the accident
(Merivale - Woodroffe - OC Transitway ... where the accident happened - Greenbank - Jockvale - Stranherd - McKenna Casey - Moodie - Cambrian - Twin Elm - Barnsdale - Eagleson - Ottawa - McBean )
To date, only Greenbank Road crossing has been fixed.
Stranherd is next ... here they intend to do the opposite, an overpass over the tracks as it is believed that Stranherd is becoming a major access road into the community ... they are planning to widen it to 4 lanes at the same time

All in this is a huge & expensive long term undertaking for the city
So many over & under Passes
But it’s got to be done ... the 14 Crossings are in what are some of Ottawa’s fastest growing communities
Nepean = 1
Barrhaven = 10
Richmond = 3
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9307 posts
1876 upvotes
Somewhere
One year, eh? I hope that's the case. They gave a total project completion date of 2022. That's probably including the multi story parking lot, too.
May 10, 2005
283 posts
15 upvotes
This explains why Langstaff seems packed the last few days as well. I usually get a seat in the mornings boarding Langstaff.