Marble Wall with TV / Fireplace

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 2nd, 2020 3:58 pm
[OP]
Mar 25, 2013
210 posts
20 upvotes

Marble Wall with TV / Fireplace

Hi everyone. I am interested in installing a white marble wall with a mounted TV and fire place. Was wondering if anyone knew how one would go about hiring someone or building this?

An example of what I am looking for is here: https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/143552306857026435/

Appreciate any feedback / help!
13 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2637 posts
1624 upvotes
Toronto
In all seriousness, skip the TV over the fireplace thing. It's a horrible place for a TV.

If it's the only place in your house to watch TV, then get a projector and screen.

But beyond that, you need a carpenter to make sure the framing is up to the task of holding up hundreds of pounds of marble slab, you need an electrician to run the wiring etc. for the TV and you need a stone company to come and skin it all with marble slabs. I guess you could hire any contracting company to do this, but it's just a couple of trades so I wouldn't bother.

8 foot high by say 8 feet wide you're looking at a solid $5,000 for marble minimum I would imagine. Then another $1,000 for an electrician to come in, check things out and run some wiring/speaker wire etc. This is all assuming you have a fireplace already there and it doesn't need to have anything done to it.

If there's nothing there now, just tack another $5,000 to it to have a gas fireplace put into some rough framing, assuming this is on an outside wall which has the necessary clearances for a gas fireplace vent and the basement is unfinished to run gas over to the fireplace easily. Not sure what substrate is needed to put marble slabs on vertical, but I'd guess it would need to be skinned with 3/4" plywood.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
2019 posts
629 upvotes
Mississauga
Yea.. in terms if usability TV over fireplace is a no no. Looks great on magazines but that's about it.

I was looking at doing something similar but without the TV over the fireplace. Instead of marble I think I'm going to look into the big large format porcelain tiles. Marble is also known to discolor when used around heat sources especially White.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
13163 posts
10393 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Looks nice

Agree with the first 2 posters as far as pricing & concerns

If you don’t already have a roughed in gas fireplace... I suppose you could always just do a wall hung electric model
And still achieve the same look

https://www.bbqguys.com/fireplaces/wall ... fireplaces

Like the others ... my greatest issue here is the tv
Most family rooms aren’t really big enough so as to sit back far enough away from a high wall mounted tv to enjoy it
You end up with a real crick in your neck due to the angle
Ideally you want to see your tv at eye level when seated
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
13163 posts
10393 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Now that’s cool

Would be even cooler if it could be done with one of the new Tv as Art sets

Not in use looks like a picture
Pull down to use as a Tv @ eye height
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
2019 posts
629 upvotes
Mississauga
Agree looks cool.. but I can bet you in my house it will be pulled down and left down.. and put up 3 times a year (Christmas, New Year and Easter)
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2637 posts
1624 upvotes
Toronto
I still don't get the appeal of having a massive black glass slab in your living room.

I live in a relatively modestly sized home. 3 bedrooms, about 1500 sq ft plus a 12 x 13 foot basement rec-room and 16 x 9 basement home office.

The only TV in the house is a 65" Panasonic plasma I bought many years ago on the wall in the basement rec-room. I then bought a $500 Epson 1060 projector on Kijiji and a $30 screen from PrimeCables. I installed it to drop down in front of the plasma.

The bottom of the TV is about 18 inches off the ground. When dropped, the bottom of the screen is about 12 inches off the ground. Perfect for sitting on the couch across from it.

Sometimes we take the projector to another room and connect a laptop to it and a small $100 soundbar.

Besides that, kiddo has her 27" iMac (university) and laptop, wife has her 2009 MacBook and iPad Air and I have my laptop and 28" 4K monitor to watch stuff on. Along of course with our iPhones.

Who needs a massive TV in their living room? Instead of spending money putting a TV where it doesn't belong, and then more money to allow it to drop into position, spend $1000 and slap together a cool home theater in the basement with a cheap projector, screen and soundbar setup. Couple of beanbag chairs and you're all set for movie nights.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
2019 posts
629 upvotes
Mississauga
PointsHubby wrote: Now that’s cool

Problem with that is those are mounted flat on the wall to give that illusion of art.. with this mount hmmm... probably possible with carefully measuring and recessing into the stud cavity .
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2147 posts
1136 upvotes
Alliston, ON
I don't know why all the hate for tv over the fireplace. I have mine mounted that way and love it. There's no neck strain, no chance of my toddler putting a mini stick or anything through it. My couch is also 10-12ft from the tv. If you have a smaller room and/or sit 6ft from the tv, then sure, it doesn't make sense having a tv mounted at that height
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
13069 posts
3333 upvotes
Montréal
schade wrote: I don't know why all the hate for tv over the fireplace. I have mine mounted that way and love it. There's no neck strain, no chance of my toddler putting a mini stick or anything through it. My couch is also 10-12ft from the tv. If you have a smaller room and/or sit 6ft from the tv, then sure, it doesn't make sense having a tv mounted at that height
It looks great and the placement is practical/could be ideal, since it's in the same sightline as the fireplace, both focal pts of the living room...however, TVs are quite sensitive to heat, so even w all the necessary precautions, there's gonna be some heat flowing up from the fireplace and that's a no-no.

Unless there's new tech that totally prevents this...
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2637 posts
1624 upvotes
Toronto
I guess it comes down to this. If you have nowhere else to put it, then put it over a fireplace. If you have another option, you'll have a more optimal viewing experience.

I don't think there's any argument that having your eyes about mid-to-2/3 up the screen is the best and most comfortable way to view something. So if you can achieve this, then that's the best thing to do.
Feb 25, 2004
694 posts
228 upvotes
Longueuil
torontotim wrote: I still don't get the appeal of having a massive black glass slab in your living room.
In my opinion, use is much more important than appearance. On top of that, I don't think that a TV or speakers look bad.
torontotim wrote: Besides that, kiddo has her 27" iMac (university) and laptop, wife has her 2009 MacBook and iPad Air and I have my laptop and 28" 4K monitor to watch stuff on. Along of course with our iPhones.
That is just way too small IMO and watching "TV" using a phone or tablet is usually pretty bad for your neck. I also have a desktop with dual monitors, a laptop (15.6"), an iPad and a phone but I would never use them to watch TV shows at home.
torontotim wrote: Who needs a massive TV in their living room? Instead of spending money putting a TV where it doesn't belong, and then more money to allow it to drop into position, spend $1000 and slap together a cool home theater in the basement with a cheap projector, screen and soundbar setup. Couple of beanbag chairs and you're all set for movie nights.
It is your opinion that a TV doesn't belong in a living room but many people don't agree with that statement. I am not an interior designer, I think that a TV belongs in a living room. About 95% of the time I spend in the living room is watching TV so, for me, it definately belongs there. If I had no TV there, I might a well get rid of the living room since it would be useless.

I am going to build a nice home theater in the basement (nice projector and speakers, a really cool setup) but I will still keep the TV in the living room. I won't go to the home theater to watch the news or some random TV show.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2573 posts
867 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Now that’s cool

Now that’s a pretty cool idea. Somebody should build it recessed into a wall for that. It would also help protect it from the heat of the fireplace as well.

And somebody else also made a good point about the heat. I wouldn’t do it with a wood fire for sure. Just a gas or electric fireplace and make sure there is a substantial mantel to help protect it from the heat.
TLSRULZ wrote: Agree looks cool.. but I can bet you in my house it will be pulled down and left down.. and put up 3 times a year (Christmas, New Year and Easter)
That’s pretty much what my parents do. I help install their mantel mount and it’s mounted about 6’ up with a 70” TV and it mostly stays in the down position at eye height lol

Another good point that was made though, is that it works better in a larger room, and I definitely agree with that. They have it in their living room which is probably about 20x10 with a 20’ ceiling, so it looks great when it’s pulled back up and above the fireplace.

It would probably look too clustered with a large TV if you only had 8 or 9 ft ceilings.
torontotim wrote: I still don't get the appeal of having a massive black glass slab in your living room.

I live in a relatively modestly sized home. 3 bedrooms, about 1500 sq ft plus a 12 x 13 foot basement rec-room and 16 x 9 basement home office.

The only TV in the house is a 65" Panasonic plasma I bought many years ago on the wall in the basement rec-room. I then bought a $500 Epson 1060 projector on Kijiji and a $30 screen from PrimeCables. I installed it to drop down in front of the plasma.

The bottom of the TV is about 18 inches off the ground. When dropped, the bottom of the screen is about 12 inches off the ground. Perfect for sitting on the couch across from it.

Sometimes we take the projector to another room and connect a laptop to it and a small $100 soundbar.

Besides that, kiddo has her 27" iMac (university) and laptop, wife has her 2009 MacBook and iPad Air and I have my laptop and 28" 4K monitor to watch stuff on. Along of course with our iPhones.

Who needs a massive TV in their living room? Instead of spending money putting a TV where it doesn't belong, and then more money to allow it to drop into position, spend $1000 and slap together a cool home theater in the basement with a cheap projector, screen and soundbar setup. Couple of beanbag chairs and you're all set for movie nights.
To a certain extent I agree, but everybody has different needs. With one of the biggest differences being if you have young kids or not.

I doubt you’re going to be sitting down and watching tv in your living room as a family if you have kids that are teenagers and up since they’ll either be out or doing their own thing. But with little kids, you’ll most likely spend time playing with the kids as well as watching TV with them. Also, when they become about preschool age, they can then turn on the TV by themselves and be more independent when you need to go get ready for work or cook a meal.