[OP]
Deal Addict
May 2, 2013
1413 posts
2070 upvotes
Toronto

Margot Robbie to star in female-centric 'Pirates of the Caribbean'

JUNE 26, 2020
The “Pirates of the Caribbean” are getting ready to set sail in a whole new direction, with Australian actress Margot Robbie starring in a new version of one of Disney’s biggest film franchises.

Robbie, the star of “Suicide Squad” and “I, Tonya,” is to head a female-driven “Pirates” movie which is in the early stages of development, a source with knowledge of the project said on Friday.

It marks the latest bid by Hollywood to re-imagine classic movies by casting women in the lead roles, including the 2016 reboot of “Ghostbusters” starring Melissa McCarthy and 2018 comedy heist “Ocean’s 8” that starred Sandra Bullock and Cate Blanchett.

No plot details were available but the story is being written by Britain’s “Birds of Prey” screenwriter Christina Hodson and produced by longtime “Pirates” filmmaker Jerry Bruckheimer, the source said.

14 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14044 posts
8469 upvotes
Toronto
Jack Sparrows daughter and her besties steal a ship, pearl necklace, to look for her dad and the black pearl.

Hollywood is awesome at jumping onto social issues to reboot once good, into terrible movies. Ghostbusters was probably one of the worse reboots of all time. This maybe a slight overture of better rather than terrible.
Last edited by koffey on Jun 30th, 2020 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2614 posts
2798 upvotes
GTA
koffey wrote: Jack Sparrows daughter and her besties steal a ship, pearl necklack, to look for her dad and the black pearl.

Hollywood is awesome at jumping onto social issues to reboot once good, into terrible movies. Ghostbusters was probably one of the worse reboots of all time. This maybe a slight overture of better rather than terrible.
It's a stretch comparing the Pirates franchise to once good. It was Once Good about 3-4 movies ago, the franchise had been run into the shore long ago. So putting in a popular starlet to try to revive a sinking ship could be more effective than what they did with the Ghostbusters franchise. And I can't say as fact, but the new Ghostbusters movie that ignores the reboot doesn't look great either, but I'm willing to wait and see.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14044 posts
8469 upvotes
Toronto
BernardRyder wrote: It's a stretch comparing the Pirates franchise to once good. It was Once Good about 3-4 movies ago, the franchise had been run into the shore long ago. So putting in a popular starlet to try to revive a sinking ship could be more effective than what they did with the Ghostbusters franchise. And I can't say as fact, but the new Ghostbusters movie that ignores the reboot doesn't look great either, but I'm willing to wait and see.
I completely agree. The same can be said for any post 2000's era sequels.

Spiderman
Superman
Batman
Matrix
Terminator
the list continues.

Wise choice to move with Robbie, her past few roles have pretty well much been all great, not to mention a pretty a/b list of cast surrounding her with her portrayal of Tonya being a smash hit to the knee.

:)
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
5448 posts
2647 upvotes
Global Village
Only 3 words come to mind: Straight To Video
All day I dream about sports
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
21204 posts
2509 upvotes
Toronto
koffey wrote: Jack Sparrows daughter and her besties steal a ship, pearl necklace, to look for her dad and the black pearl.

I would pay good money to watch Margot Robbie wear a pearl necklace....

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10205 posts
734 upvotes
koffey wrote: I completely agree. The same can be said for any post 2000's era sequels.

Spiderman
Superman
Batman
Matrix
Terminator
the list continues.

Wise choice to move with Robbie, her past few roles have pretty well much been all great, not to mention a pretty a/b list of cast surrounding her with her portrayal of Tonya being a smash hit to the knee.

:)
Superman and Spiderman was really good.

I would rather watch the latest Superman than the original. It is really outdated. Ghostbusters was never a good plot to begin with. It was a hit back then but it didnt grow with time.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Star Trek, It. They are all great. I love Day of the Dead. Probably the best zombie movie for me.

Some are flop and some are hits. It is just the way it is. Saying it has something to do with social issues is just :facepalm:

A bad movie is a bad movie. Ever watch Avengers? Lots of social stuff going on in there and its awesome.

And oh yeah, how do you explain Parasite? Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2004
4429 posts
176 upvotes
Has there been a good movie where the genders were flipped? Oceans 8 and Ghostbusters sucked. Whereas if they made female lead movies where the main attraction wasn't "gender flipping", they can actually make good movies like Bridesmaids.

If this trend keeps going, we'll soon have female Iron man and captain america.

I love a badass woman lead in a movie. Unfortunately Hollywood is focused on what's trending on twitter or wherever they got the idea for these gender flipping movies.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2614 posts
2798 upvotes
GTA
xpoint9 wrote: Has there been a good movie where the genders were flipped? Oceans 8 and Ghostbusters sucked. Whereas if they made female lead movies where the main attraction wasn't "gender flipping", they can actually make good movies like Bridesmaids.

I love a badass woman lead in a movie. Unfortunately Hollywood is focused on what's trending on twitter or wherever they got the idea for these gender flipping movies.
I can't think of one where a specific major character has changed, no. There are examples where minor characters have changed, M from James Bond being the best example I can remember that was taken quite positively.
Female Iron Man and Captain America already exist in the comics universe. Pretty much all major characters have a female version, a bad version, a zombie version...
I can agree that a new movie franchise with a female character does much better than changing the gender of the established ones. I think part of that is culture, especially the more toxic aspect of nerd culture. Nerds, for all of the outsider and beleaguered status they have had at the hands of popular culture, is very insular and close-minded. Maybe its just how large and encompassing it is now as compared to when it started, when it was more about being less normative and therefore accepting of outsiders.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
5448 posts
2647 upvotes
Global Village
xpoint9 wrote: Has there been a good movie where the genders were flipped? Oceans 8 and Ghostbusters sucked. Whereas if they made female lead movies where the main attraction wasn't "gender flipping", they can actually make good movies like Bridesmaids.

The 1 that comes to mind is Salt, originally written for Tom Cruise, he ended up turning it down and arguably it's more entertaining rewritten and made with Angelina Jolie as the lead.
All day I dream about sports
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
9764 posts
2274 upvotes
Winnipeg
scoper wrote: The 1 that comes to mind is Salt, originally written for Tom Cruise, he ended up turning it down and arguably it's more entertaining rewritten and made with Angelina Jolie as the lead.
but it was original idea. this isn't.

sounds like its concern isn't a story but a message instead and running on past marketing. Why is it so hard to just write an original story with fresh original characters for a female lead? and you got something to build from vs bleed every last drop.

Look at Aliens. Lead was a female and it was awesome and in no way did anyone ever care or even notice that the hero was a female. The hero was Ripley who happened to be female but it also happened to be the only character with a good head on their shoulders and a moral compass in room full of opportunists. All during a period where males mostly dominated the screen too.

I think in recent times a great example of gender role swap was Edge of tommorrow with Tom cruise and Emily Blunt. Not for a second did I question Blunt as the hero of the battle of Verdun nor Cruise as the draft dodger. She was portrayed in a manner becoming of who ever that person needed to be without the viewer doubting it.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2004
4429 posts
176 upvotes
lead wrote: but it was original idea. this isn't.

sounds like its concern isn't a story but a message instead and running on past marketing. Why is it so hard to just write an original story with fresh original characters for a female lead? and you got something to build from vs bleed every last drop.

Look at Aliens. Lead was a female and it was awesome and in no way did anyone ever care or even notice that the hero was a female. The hero was Ripley who happened to be female but it also happened to be the only character with a good head on their shoulders and a moral compass in room full of opportunists. All during a period where males mostly dominated the screen too.

I think in recent times a great example of gender role swap was Edge of tomorrow with Tom cruise and Emily Blunt. Not for a second did I question Blunt as the hero of the battle of Verdun nor Cruise as the draft dodger. She was portrayed in a manner becoming of whoever that person needed to be without the viewer doubting it.
Edge of Tomorrow was original again. or well Groundhog day with guns and aliens. And I think this is where the secondary character was the lead, I don't know if that makes sense. Like Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles had Cameron as the lead, but the show focused on John and Sarah Connor. Nobody would watch the show if there was no Cameron, So she was the badass lead character with the focus of the story being someone else.

And I was questioning if there have been more movies made where the initial movie had a male lead(s) and then the new movie had same story structure but now had female lead(s). For no other reason than to "empower women" thing. Story didn't require the characters to be all female but to appease the recent movements and all they make them females and then everyone makes fun of them for their terrible movie.

I wouldn't be against this sort of thing if the movie turned out good, but so far this hasn't happened.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
4027 posts
2145 upvotes
Toronto
Sixteen Men on a Dead Man's Chest!
A yo-ho-ho and who gives a f%^k?

Frankly - It was remarkable they managed to make a decent movie to begin with, given that it was based on one of their rides.
Did people here somehow forget that Disney primarily makes movies for kids?
Kids (or at least, they used to) tend not to care about originality....
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
3793 posts
1441 upvotes
Not for me!

I started watching Black Sails (TV Series 2014–2017). Now, that's a show I can watch.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
3949 posts
1917 upvotes
Just write movies with female leads. No need to revive whack movies