Investing

Market timing step 2: going back in

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2020 5:29 am
Nov 27, 2019
151 posts
112 upvotes
freilona wrote: It allows you to link your husband’s accounts as well, not just your own, right? I love my spreadsheets, but maybe it’s time to automate.. :)
Yes, you can link all QT accounts (your, spouse and kids) as separate portfolios. After that, you can easily drag them and group them as you like. Eg. I put all our TFSAs, RRSPs and Margins in portfolio A except RESP that I put in portfolio B. IMHO, they could add more options but I find it useful as a checking of my own tracking and calculations, especially regarding the contributions. You can also see very clearly dividends’ income over the time.
Nov 27, 2019
151 posts
112 upvotes
freilona wrote: I think I’m ready to appreciate TSX stocks for their biggest strength - the dividends - and will sell CSU to compensate for some of AC losses “eventually” (both in my TFSA - such a waste of tax-free room.. sigh)
I also hold some CHR and HSE in RRSP that I would like to sell even it‘s not much and have been bought mostly for “playing”. Anyway, last few weeks I was selling and buying them trying to average down so I can finally and hopefully get out without the lost. Face With Rolling Eyes
Btw. how do your bonds work? I have about 14% now.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2014
2625 posts
2300 upvotes
Toronto, ON
florenntina wrote: You can also see very clearly dividends’ income over the time.
Cool, another good reason to try it - thanks! :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2014
2625 posts
2300 upvotes
Toronto, ON
florenntina wrote: Btw. how do your bonds work? I have about 14% now.
20% ATM exactly, as planned (and BHK is only 1.3% down Face With Tears Of Joy But got my first $540 USD of monthly distributions from it, so glad I didn’t buy TLT which would be down even more but paying much less :))
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2014
2625 posts
2300 upvotes
Toronto, ON
florenntina wrote: Btw. I tried Passiv and found it OK. Honestly, wouldn’t pay 100$ for it but as QT costumer you get it for free, so I could recommend it. Thumbs Up Sign
Oh but it’s only free for the first year.. sigh
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2014
2625 posts
2300 upvotes
Toronto, ON
florenntina wrote: Oh, didn't know that. Thank you!
The guy who did the review said they’re not asking for payment info on sign up (like every other “free trial”), so would have to ask before renewal. But figured it’s not worth the hassle to get everything set up if I’m not planning to pay for it (and find updating my rebalancing and portfolio performance spreadsheets therapeutic as well Face With Tears Of Joy)
Nov 27, 2019
151 posts
112 upvotes
freilona wrote: The guy who did the review said they’re not asking for payment info on sign up (like every other “free trial”), so would have to ask before renewal. But figured it’s not worth the hassle to get everything set up if I’m not planning to pay for it (and find updating my rebalancing and portfolio performance spreadsheets therapeutic as well Face With Tears Of Joy)
I don’t plan to pay for it either. But I’m glad to use it for free. It’s very easy to set up and helped me to correct some mistakes I have made in my evidence.
The spreadsheets are irreplaceable! It’s a part of identity Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy
Nov 27, 2019
151 posts
112 upvotes
freilona wrote: I think I’m ready to give PVS preferreds a try: https://www.partnersvaluesplit.com/inve ... nformation (as a riskier but higher yielding GIC/individual bonds replacement to park 5-10K slated for RRIF withdrawals in the years when those shares mature) But of course will just watch for now :)
Speaking of preferrds, I sold them all today from a Margin acc. to realize the gain before an expecting tax increasing. And... of course... They went up, so I didn’t buy them again. Hopefully tomorrow... Face With Rolling Eyes

Maybe I should put the quote, I just read on tweeter, somewhere close to my spreadsheets:
"...money is like a bar of soap, the more you handle it the smaller it gets."- Jon Older Face With Tears Of Joy
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2014
2625 posts
2300 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Where’s @alexcalvado to say that “it’s only the beginning”.. :) Hoping to buy ZGQ in my TFSA at April’s prices (10%+ more to go! Down of course Face With Tears Of Joy)
Images
  • F9E1FC52-E32E-465B-9E43-FC78834DA141.jpeg
Nov 27, 2019
151 posts
112 upvotes
Suddenly with 50K in cash, hesitating to buy preferreds again. And everything is down exc. them... sigh
Nov 27, 2019
151 posts
112 upvotes
freilona wrote: @florenntina , maybe it’s a good opportunity to swap ZPR for HPR (actively managed one)? At a bit higher MER it’s been outperforming ZPR for years (blue vs red):D27E53C2-A06E-43F7-AE46-E661E62447D1.jpeg
Thank you very much, one more reason to postpone the purchase. I bought just 1000@9.32