Investing

Market timing step 2: going back in

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2021 11:00 am
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4740 posts
4104 upvotes
Where does the procession for the litigation lawyers begin?

MrMom wrote: Follow up to Chinese companies being dropped from the Indices. market-timing-step-2-going-back-2361111/68/#p33723317

Jan 1/21 via FT

Update @Eaglesfan99

As an example, Luckin' Coffee was delisted from the Nasdaq in 2020, It continues to trade on the OTC market. As IDK what your broker policy is on the OTC market, you could try to see how your broker treats Luckin' if no one else is able to give you a definitive answer here.

IMO, there will be a larger impact from being dropped from some indices in terms of the share price and North American trading liquidity.

Update #2

Looming Delisting Jolts Chinese Telecom Stocks (WSJ)
China Mobile recorded its lowest closing price since June 2006
Updated January 04, 2021 05:27 a.m. EST

https://www.wsj.com/articles/chinese-te ... 1609734838

Excerpts;
Jef­feries an­a­lyst Edi­son Lee said non-U.S. in­vestors—who wouldn’t be cov­ered by the ban—are “bot­tom-fish­ing.” Mr. Lee said the busi­ness fun­da­men­tals of the three firms had been im­prov­ing, and China Mo­bile’s share price im­plied a high div­i­dend yield of about 7.5%.

“This is not a prob­lem for the Chi­nese tele­com com­pa­nies. It is a prob­lem for the U.S. in­vestors that have to sell, lock­ing in their in­vest­ments at a his­tor­i­cally low price,” said Pe­ter Mil­liken, head of Asia-Pa­cific tele­com re­search at Deutsche Bank.

Mr. Mil­liken said the delist­ings would have lit­tle im­pact on the car­ri­ers’ busi­nesses. “They are cash-flow ma­chines, not need­ing to be fu­eled by new cap­i­tal from the U.S., or any­where,” he said.

The three Chi­nese com­pa­nies said hold­ers of their Amer­i­can de­posi­tary re­ceipts can swap those se­cu­ri­ties for their Hong Kong-listed or­di­nary shares through Bank of New York Mel­lon, which is the de­posi­tary for all three ADR pro­grams.
MrMom wrote: The Sh*t Show aka as Trump WH continues. Xi must be rolling on the floor laughing.

NYSE Says It No Longer Plans to Delist China Telecom Companies
Bloomberg News
January 4, 2021, 9:51 PM EST

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -companies

The New York Stock Exchange no longer intends to move forward with the delisting action in relation to China Telecom, China Mobile and China Unicom (Hong Kong), according to a statement, Bloomberg News reports. Issuers will continue to be listed and traded on the NYSE.

More information is available on the Bloomberg Terminal.
S&P Dow Jones Says It Will Cancel Deletion of China Telco ADRs
January 5, 2021, 11:26 PM EST
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... s-kjkx5ovf

Excerpt;
"S&P Dow Jones Indices said it will no longer delete the U.S.-listed shares of three Chinese telecom firms from its benchmarks, a move that was set to take effect on Thursday."
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2014
3138 posts
3178 upvotes
Toronto, ON
@MrMom , more importantly - will you be selling CURA this week if it jumps up and reaches your sell price? :)
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4740 posts
4104 upvotes
@freilona

First, thanks for pointing out the move yesterday, as I didn't notice.

Despite what I have said in the past about having a target price I would sell for most of my holdings, CURA is one of the exceptions. I don't know where that would be.

I think the likelihood of (1) legislation being passed legalizing MJ in the Biden term is no better than 50/50 and (2) the real need for MJ to reach alcohol equivalent status is to change some Federal banking regulations to lower the #1 cost according to the CURA CEO. I think that might be less than 40/60 over the next 4 years.

For now, I'm just going to let this ride. I guess I should have added earlier. Doesn't everyone say that?

Update

To clarify, neither of these conditions need to be met. People beliefs that Biden/Harris will be good for sectors A, B and C, while bad for sectors X, Y and Z will be enough in the short run to impact those sectors.

=> Hope is a strategy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2014
3138 posts
3178 upvotes
Toronto, ON
@MrMom I’m thinking to sell half of CURA if/when it goes above $20 (High $19 this morning) and buy QBTC :facepalm: Hubby’s really against bitcoins, but won’t mind if I use proceeds from one speculative investment to fund another Face With Tears Of Joy

Do you own any crypto? :)
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4740 posts
4104 upvotes
freilona wrote: @MrMom I’m thinking to sell half of CURA if/when it goes above $20 (High $19 this morning) and buy QBTC :facepalm: Hubby’s really against bitcoins, but won’t mind if I use proceeds from one speculative investment to fund another Face With Tears Of Joy

re: CURA. Consider trying to use some volatility measure, aka TA, to see when it gets into parabolic overbought territory. i.e. RSI, Bollinger Bands etc. https://invst.ly/td3fi
re: Crypto, No holdings and no real regrets, but maybe I should have put in 1-3%. I've known about Bitcoin for ~ 10 years. Oh well.
Aug 16, 2015
747 posts
258 upvotes
freilona wrote: @MrMom I’m thinking to sell half of CURA if/when it goes above $20 (High $19 this morning) and buy QBTC :facepalm: Hubby’s really against bitcoins, but won’t mind if I use proceeds from one speculative investment to fund another Face With Tears Of Joy

Weren't you considering ENB? I'm kicking the tires on it today. I guess the dem sweep could be bad for their business/headlines etc.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2014
3138 posts
3178 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kilburn305 wrote: Weren't you considering ENB? I'm kicking the tires on it today. I guess the dem sweep could be bad for their business/headlines etc.
I did and it’s still in my watchlist, and part of TSX ETFs that we hold, but no, didn’t purchase the stock itself. This morning I realized that I should stop considering, asking for opinions, adding to watchlist as the market is definitely on even stronger drugs this year and the moment I find something I like I should just buy it before it jumps 5-10% the very next day Face With Tears Of Joy
Aug 16, 2015
747 posts
258 upvotes
freilona wrote: I did and it’s still in my watchlist, and part of TSX ETFs that we hold, but no, didn’t purchase the stock itself. This morning I realized that I should stop considering, asking for opinions, adding to watchlist as the market is definitely on even stronger drugs this year and the moment I find something I like I should just buy it before it jumps 5-10% the very next day Face With Tears Of Joy
Agreed. I need to do something with all this cash. whatever, i guess i'll buy a bit and see what happens. ZIRP should be very nice for them.

As for the overall market a slow grind would be better. what is the hurry? surging prices often lead to crashes later. VIX is still above 20.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4740 posts
4104 upvotes

Follow through? I'm holding. Have a good day.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2014
3138 posts
3178 upvotes
Toronto, ON
MrMom wrote: Follow through? I'm holding. Have a good day.
Holding as well, till $30 or sell off, whichever comes first Face With Tears Of Joy You, too! :)