Marketing / Communications in the public sector

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2021 5:45 pm
[OP]
Mar 6, 2011
2 posts
mississauga

Marketing / Communications in the public sector

I am a marketing/communications professional with 15 years’ experience and I've been working for a municipality for 8 years now. And I'm literally stuck!
There is no higher communications role I could obtain (there is actually no communications department and I guess I just realized that’s the case in a lot of local government agencies). My supervisor is not a communications professional and even if I wanted her job, I would not get it until she retires (and she’s just 8 years older than me ahah). There is no potential lateral moves either as there’s only one other communications coordinator role in the city and she is a lifer like they say. In a nutshell, there is no room to grow here…

So I’m wondering if a meaningful career in marketing/communications can be achieved in the public sector… maybe at the provincial/federal level? Or is that something that can only be achieved in the private sector?
3 replies
Jan 12, 2021
1 posts
It's hard to say w/o understanding your "level" but I think your best bet is to look at crown & public agencies such as Metrolinx, TTC, OLG, LCBO, and ROM
[OP]
Mar 6, 2011
2 posts
mississauga
I'm at a coordinator level. Thanks for the tips!
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
4173 posts
2075 upvotes
With COVID-19, I would stay put for now. Many communications people were let go, so competition will be fierce. Maybe look into taking your marketing/communications expertise in another role within your city. Alternatively, if allowed, look into side gigs and go freelance.