Aug 28, 2001
2477 posts
253 upvotes

Markham Parking Ticket

So I had to pay a parking ticket. I went to the city of markham website:

https://www.markham.ca/wps/portal/home/ ... ing-ticket

It sent me here:

https://online.parksmart.ca/200_en.php

The website is outdated, and contains obsolete security measures. I'm shocked the City of Markham, Oakville, Mississauga, Guelph etc use this service. Their privacy policy was last updated in 2013. https://www.coinamatic.com/parksmart/legal-privacy/

On top of that, the fee did not match my ticket (online was higher), and they charge a $2.50 convience fee! WTF? $2.50 to have my credit card number potentially stolen, and pay MORE than the ticket price.

Who awards these contracts? Do I write to the mayor?
19 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1546 posts
1313 upvotes
Etobicoke
you can pay in person......no processing fee, no stolen CC info
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2001
2477 posts
253 upvotes
I had to use this service. I don't live in Markham. Due to COVID I'm not making unnecessary visits to places. (including the post office)
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2017
1967 posts
620 upvotes
DT Calgary
enforcerviper wrote: I had to use this service. I don't live in Markham. Due to COVID I'm not making unnecessary visits to places. (including the post office)
So this parking ticket was from before COVID?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2001
2477 posts
253 upvotes
FreshCo wrote: So this parking ticket was from before COVID?
During.

Also, I'm not sure why this is moved to automotive? It isnt about the ticket, but about the municipal agreement with a company with subpar service.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4026 posts
4162 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
enforcerviper wrote: I had to use this service. I don't live in Markham. Due to COVID I'm not making unnecessary visits to places. (including the post office)
There is a distinction. You didn't have to, you chose to. A lot of government websites are crap security and outdated. I keep a specific CC with a low limit that I use for sketchy sites.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2001
2477 posts
253 upvotes
Ecsta wrote: There is a distinction. You didn't have to, you chose to. A lot of government websites are crap security and outdated. I keep a specific CC with a low limit that I use for sketchy sites.
As a taxpayer, my taxes are used to fund services. Those services should tendered to organizations held to standards. My choices are my own to make, providing I am following their rules.

Saying government websites are crap security and outdated does not apply here. The contract is tendered to a private organization.

The solution is not to use a low limit CC. Your personal info, can be used for anything.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4026 posts
4162 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
enforcerviper wrote: As a taxpayer, my taxes are used to fund services. Those services should tendered to organizations held to standards. My choices are my own to make, providing I am following their rules.

Saying government websites are crap security and outdated does not apply here. The contract is tendered to a private organization.

The solution is not to use a low limit CC. Your personal info, can be used for anything.
Ok? So pay it in person and complain to your local representative.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1546 posts
1313 upvotes
Etobicoke
enforcerviper wrote: As a taxpayer, my taxes are used to fund services. Those services should tendered to organizations held to standards. My choices are my own to make, providing I am following their rules.

You just said that you don't live in Markham...so you are not a taxpayer of Markham at least.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3865 upvotes
xxxray wrote: You just said that you don't live in Markham...so you are not a taxpayer of Markham at least.
Which it means he can ignore the ticket as it cant be tacked onto property tax
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6116 posts
3925 upvotes
Toronto

Did you try paying over the phone? Is it handled by the same company?
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
16291 posts
13807 upvotes
GTA, ON
Well since you don't live in Markham, then no, you are not paying taxes to fund these services. Winking Face

Just pay it and close thread. At the end of the day it sounds like you parked illegally and got a fine.

You better not get a ticket in the US.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2001
2477 posts
253 upvotes
chimaican wrote: Well since you don't live in Markham, then no, you are not paying taxes to fund these services. Winking Face

Just pay it and close thread. At the end of the day it sounds like you parked illegally and got a fine.

You better not get a ticket in the US.
To all those that say I don't live in Markham it doesn't matter. Mississauga and Oakville (where I live) and under this company as well.

It's amazing to see how complacent everyone is until they become victims of identity theft. As taxpayers we should demand that our representatives uphold our interests.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
16291 posts
13807 upvotes
GTA, ON
enforcerviper wrote: To all those that say I don't live in Markham it doesn't matter. Mississauga and Oakville (where I live) and under this company as well.

It's amazing to see how complacent everyone is until they become victims of identity theft. As taxpayers we should demand that our representatives uphold our interests.
That part was the joke as indicated by the winky face since you said you pay taxes, but that went over your head.

My point is, just pay the ticket. What was the alternative other than don't pay? You already said you were not going to drive there to pay it in person.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
18752 posts
18292 upvotes
Richmond Hill
enforcerviper wrote: To all those that say I don't live in Markham it doesn't matter. Mississauga and Oakville (where I live) and under this company as well.

So what have you done about this aside from complaining to strangers on the internet?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2001
2477 posts
253 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: So what have you done about this aside from complaining to strangers on the internet?
Bringing it to peoples attention. Its funny.. people only make a stink when their info is stolen and it's too late. (Simplii, Lifelabs, Equifax etc) In this case, we have the ability to voice our concern before there's an unrecoverable outcome. Instead, people assume I don't want to pay a ticket, or the fact that I don't live in Markham.
Feb 13, 2008
772 posts
484 upvotes
Edmonton, AB

I agree with OP! I am sick of poor service from all levels of Government!
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2001
4516 posts
733 upvotes
Toronto
enforcerviper wrote: Bringing it to peoples attention. Its funny.. people only make a stink when their info is stolen and it's too late. (Simplii, Lifelabs, Equifax etc) In this case, we have the ability to voice our concern before there's an unrecoverable outcome. Instead, people assume I don't want to pay a ticket, or the fact that I don't live in Markham.
Well I'm sure they have instructions at the back of the ticket, or better yet pick up the phone all call the Town of Markham. Don't understand why you are moaning about the poor website.
You can give a person knowledge, but you can't make them think. Some people want to remain fools because the truth requires change.
Feb 13, 2008
772 posts
484 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
maddawg wrote: Well I'm sure they have instructions at the back of the ticket, or better yet pick up the phone all call the Town of Markham. Don't understand why you are moaning about the poor website.
I do not understand why you are defending incompetent Government service!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
7896 posts
2269 upvotes
Toronto
xxxray wrote: You just said that you don't live in Markham...so you are not a taxpayer of Markham at least.
So does it mean if I go to Etobicoke and got a parking ticket, then I don't need to pay it too, since I lived in Markham.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)