Automotive

Markham Parking ticket

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 7th, 2021 1:28 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2009
1388 posts
772 upvotes
Calgary

Markham Parking ticket

Hi guys, I'm asking for advice.

I came from Calgary and parked my car on Clegg road last night. The road has a sign saying: PAID PARKING 7AM - 9PM MON-SUN 3HR MAX. There's no other restriction sign. From my understanding (and the rest of Canada probably?), it means the place is paid parking from 7AM to 9PM only. So I parked my car after 9PM and left my car over night. However this morning before 7AM I've got a ticket on my windshield. (Ticket was issued at 2:34AM....)

On my ticket contravention it says PARK BETWEEN 2:30AM AND 6:00AM... So I googled the bylaw (2005-188 section 5.i) apparently Markham doesn't allow overnight parking on every street and they don't require to have a sign...

So should I still dispute this ticket?

Btw, my car plate is Alberta. Can I ignore the ticket? Will I get trouble driving in GTA? Thanks.

Here's the sign:
193685896_483040112765229_3038228139382208928_n.jpg
39 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
14859 posts
9254 upvotes
Toronto
Max street parking is limited to 3hrs, you can't fight it.... But you can ignore it and not pay it. Markham, Toronto, ect... Can't collect from out of province/country plates. They waste more money printing the tickets than on collecting Now, if you were to be ticketed again, you could potentially have your car towed. So, it's really up to you. Ya sticking around in Markham, GTA for a bit? You plan to keep parking on the road? Pay it. Otherwise, ignore it.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jul 12, 2003
11745 posts
4049 upvotes
Toronto
You got the answer yourself, you cannot park your car overnight unless you have a permit.

I'm not sure if you will have problem driving in the city, i doubt so, but next time you get a parking ticket, they may just tow it given there is outstanding ticket not paid.

*Correct me if I'm wrong.

Again, be a man, you violated parking rules, pay the ticket and then there is nothing to worry.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 9, 2012
4461 posts
3730 upvotes
Oakville, ON
ibuddler wrote: Hi guys, I'm asking for advice.

I came from Calgary and parked my car on Clegg road last night. The road has a sign saying: PAID PARKING 7AM - 9PM MON-SUN 3HR MAX. There's no other restriction sign. From my understanding (and the rest of Canada probably?), it means the place is paid parking from 7AM to 9PM only. So I parked my car after 9PM and left my car over night. However this morning before 7AM I've got a ticket on my windshield. (Ticket was issued at 2:34AM....)

On my ticket contravention it says PARK BETWEEN 2:30AM AND 6:00AM... So I googled the bylaw (2005-188 section 5.i) apparently Markham doesn't allow overnight parking on every street and they don't require to have a sign...

So should I still dispute this ticket?

Btw, my car plate is Alberta. Can I ignore the ticket? Will I get trouble driving in GTA? Thanks.

Here's the sign:
193685896_483040112765229_3038228139382208928_n.jpg
The 3 hr Parking Rule is always posted but only when you enter the city limit. So there’s one sign beside each road near the boundary. Very easy to miss.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2009
1388 posts
772 upvotes
Calgary
MP3_SKY wrote: You got the answer yourself, you cannot park your car overnight unless you have a permit.

Again, be a man, you violated parking rules, pay the ticket and then there is nothing to worry.
Hmm nope. I think in Calgary or probably the rest of Canada, you can park your car overnight without a permit unless the sign forbids you to do so. But anyway, the place I parked isn't designed for the passage of vehicles.
Untitled.png
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2009
1388 posts
772 upvotes
Calgary
CanadianLurker wrote: The 3 hr Parking Rule is always posted but only when you enter the city limit. So there’s one sign beside each road near the boundary. Very easy to miss.
Thanks. I think the three hours limit applies to the posted time period (7AM to 9PM). After that period, there's no time restriction. The reason I've got a ticket isn't because of parking over time. It's because I parked between 2:30AM and 6:00AM which defines in Bylaw 2005-188 Section 5(I): No person shall park a motor vehicle between the hours of 2:30A.M. and 6:00 A.M. on any highway save and except those highways noted...
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 6, 2017
670 posts
1104 upvotes
MP3_SKY wrote: Again, be a man, you violated parking rules, pay the ticket and then there is nothing to worry.
Image

Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
16502 posts
18060 upvotes
Oakville
ibuddler wrote: Thanks. I think the three hours limit applies to the posted time period (7AM to 9PM). After that period, there's no time restriction. The reason I've got a ticket isn't because of parking over time. It's because I parked between 2:30AM and 6:00AM which defines in Bylaw 2005-188 Section 5(I): No person shall park a motor vehicle between the hours of 2:30A.M. and 6:00 A.M. on any highway save and except those highways noted...
No, if it's like Oakville, the 3 hour parking rule is at all times, but isn't enforced during the day unless someone complains.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16405 posts
14516 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ibuddler wrote: Hmm nope. I think in Calgary or probably the rest of Canada, you can park your car overnight without a permit unless the sign forbids you to do so. But anyway, the place I parked isn't designed for the passage of vehicles.

Untitled.png
You keep saying this. Well guess what you're not in the rest of Canada country boy!

Nowhere in GTA/Toronto that I know of where you can just park overnight on the street without a permit.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16405 posts
14516 upvotes
Richmond Hill
engineered wrote: No, if it's like Oakville, the 3 hour parking rule is at all times, but isn't enforced during the day unless someone complains.
Same in Markham, but it's never enforced unless there's a bitchy neighbour complaining.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 13, 2010
3315 posts
3357 upvotes
GTA
ibuddler wrote: Thanks. I think the three hours limit applies to the posted time period (7AM to 9PM). After that period, there's no time restriction. The reason I've got a ticket isn't because of parking over time. It's because I parked between 2:30AM and 6:00AM which defines in Bylaw 2005-188 Section 5(I): No person shall park a motor vehicle between the hours of 2:30A.M. and 6:00 A.M. on any highway save and except those highways noted...
No, 3 hours is the maximum no matter the time (in Ontario) unless there is a sign that states differently. They gave you the ticket that's less work for them. For the 3 hour limit they chalk your tire and come back 3+ hours later to see if the chalk mark is in a different position, so it's extra time and another trip for that type of ticket.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 12, 2007
16406 posts
5144 upvotes
London
ibuddler wrote: Thanks. I think the three hours limit applies to the posted time period (7AM to 9PM). After that period, there's no time restriction. The reason I've got a ticket isn't because of parking over time. It's because I parked between 2:30AM and 6:00AM which defines in Bylaw 2005-188 Section 5(I): No person shall park a motor vehicle between the hours of 2:30A.M. and 6:00 A.M. on any highway save and except those highways noted...
He's talking about a different sign like this one at the city limits

Image
Images
  • General-Parking-Restrictons-sign.jpg
Last edited by l69norm on Jun 1st, 2021 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 9, 2012
4461 posts
3730 upvotes
Oakville, ON
ibuddler wrote: Thanks. I think the three hours limit applies to the posted time period (7AM to 9PM). After that period, there's no time restriction. The reason I've got a ticket isn't because of parking over time. It's because I parked between 2:30AM and 6:00AM which defines in Bylaw 2005-188 Section 5(I): No person shall park a motor vehicle between the hours of 2:30A.M. and 6:00 A.M. on any highway save and except those highways noted...
Yes and there would be a sign for that near the city boundary.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
12410 posts
9144 upvotes
GTA, ON
As all the above posters said. There is no overnight parking on the street except by permit. There is signage upon entering city limits, and that's pretty much in every municipality within the greater Toronto area. Sorry you missed it.
They gave you a ticket for overnight parking, not parking >3hrs, so disregard your argument about parking for 3+ hrs.

You can choose to ignore the ticket, however, since you admit to it, you could just pay up. How much is the ticket?
If you want to try, I suppose you can always dispute the ticket with the excuse that you were from out of town and didn't know, however, if you stayed overnight with someone who lives in Markham, they should have informed you and/or requested a permit for overnight parking. It's instantaneous when done online, so whomever your host was, they should have known.

If you want to try to dispute, use this link, but there is no guarantee you'll be able to do it with COVID19, as they might not be seeing people face-to-face at city hall:
https://www.markham.ca/wps/portal/home/onlineservices/disputeparkingticket/02-dispute-a-parking-ticket
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Jr. Member
Nov 18, 2019
189 posts
70 upvotes
GTA
I kind of understand that as you are out of Town, you may not know about the street parking.

BUT, Markham's webpage for street parking clearly identifies overnight street parking and that a guest can get a free overnight (or multi night) parking pass.

The person you are visiting should have known as well.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
12410 posts
9144 upvotes
GTA, ON
ChibaK wrote: In the GTA area most places do not allow overnight parking unless with a permit. Kinda understand that as you are out of Town, you may not know.

BUT, Markham's webpage for street parking clearly identifies a guest can get a free overnight (or multi night) parking pass.
To me, the fault lies squarely on the host. He/she should have informed OP of parking bylaw and requested a permit online.

However, I now see OP parked on Clegg road adjacent to the construction which is across the street from the hotel, so if there is the off chance OP is/was staying at the Hilton Toronto/Markham Suites hotel and was trying to avoid paying hotel overnight parking, then OP should pay up.

Google Maps

btw: if I figured this out, so will the city clerk
Last edited by chimaican on Jun 1st, 2021 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5174 posts
4234 upvotes
l69norm wrote: He's talking about a different sign like this one at the city limits

Image
They have those signs entering Markham as well and around the city
Sr. Member
Oct 21, 2006
673 posts
418 upvotes
you can take the ticket to city hall and see if they can reduce it
Jr. Member
Nov 18, 2019
189 posts
70 upvotes
GTA
chimaican wrote: To me, the fault lies squarely on the host. He/she should have informed OP of parking bylaw and requested a permit online.

However, I now see OP parked on Clegg road adjacent to the construction which is across the street from the hotel, so if there is the off chance OP is/was staying at the Hilton Toronto/Markham Suites hotel and was trying to avoid paying hotel overnight parking, then OP should pay up.

Google Maps

btw: if I figured this out, so will the city clerk
I think there used to be a parking meter for those parking spaces.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
12410 posts
9144 upvotes
GTA, ON
ChibaK wrote: I think there used to be a parking meter for those parking spaces.
Doesn't really matter if there was one there before as OP is from out of town & wouldn't have known anyways.
I was thinking about this last night. The only homes on that stretch of road are condominiums (apartments). So if OP was staying with someone living in those condos, it would make sense they would have parked in the condo's visitor spaces. The only other reason to be parking overnight on that street is if OP was staying at the hotel. I dunno, sounds like to me OP was trying to avoid the hotel's $10 overnight parking fee so they parked on the street but cops came around & he got slapped with a $50 fine instead.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!

Top