Home & Garden

Markham - Is it worth trying to get a permit to build a room over garage or have another one created over the driveway?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 4th, 2020 2:22 pm
[OP]
Banned
Jan 20, 2017
584 posts
145 upvotes

Markham - Is it worth trying to get a permit to build a room over garage or have another one created over the driveway?

Before I hit the wall of bureaucracy, I would like to ak my fellow RFDians if anyone has any insight into whether such endeavor is even in the realm of possibility.
My house in South East Markham has an attached 2 car garage and a massive 4 car driveway. I just have 1 car so driveway space is not only completely wasted, it is a massive pain to shovel snow during winter. The house is located at the end of a crescent so obviously has a huge driveway.
The house being small (1700 sq feet) could use the extra space in the back/side of house as well as on top of the garage and if possible, the driveway itself. I am not keen to build a solarium or deck so leaving the side/back space as it is.
The questions I have are:
1. Will the city even consider allowing construction of a room on top of the existing two car garage? (This will be more like an extension of master bedroom)
2. Does anyone know of any case where the city has allowed a home owner to shorten the driveway by constructing a room/garage over it? (For example convert existing garage to a room and build a new garage in its place on driveway, leaving ample room in driveway for parking 2 cars?)
Please advise.
1 reply
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9152 posts
4683 upvotes
Paris
There will be setbacks from the neighbours and the road you will have to consider but in general all things are possible. The cost however may make you rethink.